2 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2013 5:25 PM by jabra27

Matte Opacity?

jabra27 Level 1

Is it possible to change the opacity of a Matte?

I shot a recital in a gym Friday that has windows that could not be covered. The light on the audience and curtains etc... is very distracting in the wide static shot.
      I was trying to use a 4 point garbage matte to cover all but the stage, but I would like to change the opacity to "dim" those areas. Is this possible? Or is there a easier way?

I tried to post a screen shot but it keeps giving me an error.

An error occurred trying to retrieve data from server. Please try again in a few minutes. Error Code: Object doesn't support property or method 'createContextualFragment'

• 1. Re: Matte Opacity?
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Here is one way to do that...

1. Your original video is on track one.

2. A copy of the video is on track two.

3. You change the brightness of the track one video to something much darker, using Levels and/or other effects to get it to where you can just see outside the window maybe? Or see the people in the audience but not be overwhelmed by the light?

4. Then you use your garbage matte on the track two video to isolate and show the lighter stage over the darker one. So to get the stage you may need the eight point matte, or even the sixteen point matte.

• 2. Re: Matte Opacity?
            jabra27 Level 1

That works. Thank you!