1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 24, 2007 9:40 AM by 999julikt

Fireworks CS3 on Mac

cmyck Level 1
      I cannot believe they still haven't managed to implement simple font family grouping!
      This is a OS X inherent feature and should be easy to implement. The UI looks still like version 8.
        • 1. Re: Fireworks CS3 on Mac
          999julikt
          On Apr 24, 9:47 am, "cmyck" <webforumsu...@macromedia.com> wrote:
          > I cannot believe they still haven't managed to implement simple font family grouping!
          > This is a OS X inherent feature and should be easy to implement. The UI looks still like version 8.

They also did not fix the other two bugs which are there since Fireworks MX. Fireworks 4 was a fine product, Fireworks MX was a disaster. In the 6 years gone by Macromedia did not unbrake it. Let's just hope that next time it gets the same merciless rectal treatment that Flash MX has got.

1. Object selection is sometimes detected as selection drag. A selection rectangle gets drawn ABOVE the object when I press the pen and drag. Very often that happens when I am clicking fast (Fireworks detects this as a selection-rect-drag although it must be detected as pick-move)
          2. Property inspector takes ages to update when switching tools and selecting objects. Sometimes the palette values do not update at all, which
          leads to the following:
          a) object A and object B have different fill and stroke
          b) select object A. The property inspector updates (we are lucky)
          c) select object B. The property inspector did not update but we do not notice
          d) switch the fill color of the selected object in the property inspector to a new one
          c) lo and behold how object B gets the stroke that object A had as well

There was a post about the property inspector but nobody believed - well I even bohered to record it.

http://julik.nl/fireworks_isa_slug.mp4

This is a document with ONE object. ONE rectangle.

That occured to me on 5 G4s and on a Quad G5, with lots of ram, with minimal RAM, everywhere. On the demo machine when I first saw FW MX in 2003 that occured to me as well.

This is just SO broken. Still. And nevermind that you had to upgrade to MX 2004 because the older version could not work with Wacom tablets (it was the only app I know on OS X that had major tablet trouble on 10.4 - even MS Word did better).

And yes, even MS Word does Unicode fonts much better than Fireworks on OS X, in 2007.

Fireworks is missing elementary QA. Since MX.

I sincerely hope that Danielle reads this msg and gives some serious enemas to her programming team (if the team still operational - which is to be disputed) so that they finally gawddamn deliver a proper piece of OS X software. After 4 years of this sluggish maddness that was Studio MX for the Mac. And here's to Fireworks getting the same drill that Flash has recieved (I actually enjoy working with Flash again instead of waiting for buttons to react when I click them!).