11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2007 2:52 AM by Karl_Sigiscar_1971

Entire website in Flex? Performance?

rpeters1983
      This is sort of in conjunction with my other post, but we are deciding whether to have an entire website built in flex, with no HTML. The site is roughly 30 pages and includes everything from simple text to photo galleries. The photo galleries would be in flex, but other items such as regular editorial dont HAVE to be in flex, but we may use flex just for consistency.

I'm curious about performance impacts between using flex in only certain parts, or embedded in html (if possible, see other post). Loading an entire flex movie just for text in my opinion seems a little over-kill. I'd like to hear everyone's opinions on this. Thanks!

Ryan
        • 1. Re: Entire website in Flex? Performance?
          ntsiii Level 3
          For a large app, Flex has several approaches to increase performance. And 30 or so "pages" is not very large for a Flex app, if you design it right.

First, many of the navigator containers us deferred instantiation, so their contents are not rendered until a user navigates to them.

Second, you can use SWFLoader to load independent applications as needed.

Third, Modules also allow for runtime swapping of content, minimizing the initial start-up time

"Loading an entire flex movie just for text ..." It sounds like you are still thinking in HTML. Just make the text part of the application, loaded from the server as needed.

A Flex app typically never calls an url (except to get data), never refreshes the browser, and is always present in memory, until the user exits. There is only one "movie" ever loaded (unless you use SWFLoader).

Tracy
          • 2. Re: Entire website in Flex? Performance?
            rpeters1983 Level 1
            quote:

Originally posted by: ntsiii
            "Loading an entire flex movie just for text ..." It sounds like you are still thinking in HTML. Just make the text part of the application, loaded from the server as needed.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not clear on this though. Are you saying I should just make the text sections just html and not use a flex app? Thanks.
            • 3. Re: Entire website in Flex? Performance?
              levancho Level 3
              remember not technical considerations, your site will not be indexed by search spiders if you built it entirely in flex.
              • 4. Entire website in Flex? Performance?
                Karl_Sigiscar_1971 Level 3
                Google can index the content of a SWF since a long time but only the static text, not the dynamic one.

In terms of performance, it depends not on whether or not you use Flex for your entire site. It depends on how optimized your use of Flex will be.
                • 5. Re: Entire website in Flex? Performance?
                  rpeters1983 Level 1
                  quote:

Originally posted by: Karl_Sigiscar_1971
                  Google can index the content of a SWF since a long time but only the static text, not the dynamic one.

In terms of performance, it depends not on whether or not you use Flex for your entire site. It depends on how optimized your use of Flex will be.

Thank you. Please elaborate on what you mean by "static" and "dynamic" text. Is "static" just regualar HTML and "dynamic" text rendered in flex?

MY BIG QUESTION is whether to just make the areas that contain just text and a few graphics to NOT be a flex app, but just regular asp.net (in my case) code generating the page, OR to generate the same text/editorial inside of a flex/flash app.

Thanks!
                  • 6. Re: Entire website in Flex? Performance?
                    levancho Level 3
                    Originally posted by: Karl_Sigiscar_1971
                    ----------------------

and also can you give me , at least, one google search string example that shows indexed swf site that I can click on that link which will take me to that site's corresponding page?
                    • 7. Re: Entire website in Flex? Performance?
                      camfieldaj Level 1
                      I think he's asking is there a performance penalty for jumping back and forth between asp and Flex/swf. Well, of course there is. And there's no reason to do it. It's easier to write a Flex page in mxml to display some text than it would be to write the same thing in asp. And if your main application is a swf, why would you leave it to show an asp page(redundant)? Question answered?
                      • 8. Re: Entire website in Flex? Performance?
                        levancho Level 3
                        camfieldaj - no offense but I dont understand what you are talking about, you are answering which question?
                        • 9. Re: Entire website in Flex? Performance?
                          camfieldaj Level 1
                          rpeters1983 --
                          The op came back with:
                          "MY BIG QUESTION is whether to just make the areas that contain just text and a few graphics to NOT be a flex app, but just regular asp.net (in my case) code generating the page, OR to generate the same text/editorial inside of a flex/flash app."
                          So, apparently they did not feel their question had been answered.
                          • 10. Re: Entire website in Flex? Performance?
                            ntsiii Level 3
                            I agree. Now, the search spider issue is a different question, one of which I know little.

But from an application standpoint, just build it all in Flex. The only reason not to would be if you had an existing HTML application that you wanted to migrate slowly to Flex. In that case, you would implement large functional modules one at a time in flex, so you would not be switching back and forth a lot.

Tracy

Tracy
                            • 11. Re: Entire website in Flex? Performance?
                              Karl_Sigiscar_1971 Level 3

Levancho.

I just point out the fact that Google can index SWFs with static text and that's a fact.

One way of having Google index Flash pieces with static text is to have a different URL for each page. I.e pass a page parameter to e.g a JSP or PHP script that embeds the SWF with the static texts. As you know, a SWF can be passed a parameter via HTML.

But in most cases, this method is not usable because you do want dynamic text.