9 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2013 7:37 AM by shirlcanada

French doc (to be accessible) not correctly pronounced

shirlcanada

French doc is not pronounced correctly when read out loud (read like English and numbers are read in English vs. French) despite following instructions provided in discussion _ instruction on http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20-TECHS/pdf.html#PDF16.  Also, after setting language and saving on Adobe Pro to French, when I re-open the doc under Langauge it is just blank. Tx

• 1. Re: French doc (to be accessible) not correctly pronounced
          raeben3 Level 3

Sounds like you are doing everything correctly.

Does this happen with other PDF files or just this file? You may have a corrupt document. Properties "dropping out" is not a normal state of affairs.

I would try rebooting the system, which you may have already done. 

Also Help /"Repair Acrobat Installation" might be a fix.

Can you post the document?

Good luck!

• 2. Re: French doc (to be accessible) not correctly pronounced
            shirlcanada Level 1

Tx for your response.

This happens to other PDFs too and I’ve had my co-worker try too and it’s the same issue.  We tried rebooting before already.

Wrt Help “Repair Acrobat Installation”, which one needs to be selected as when I did a search using the words “repair acrobat installation” a number of selections appeared.  As well, I don’t have administrative privileges as I work in a large government agency.

As requested, attached is one of the documents.  Could you please let me know if you can determine what the problem is.  Also, another problem experienced is that it doesn’t read the Header components (ie. Ontario logo which has the alternative text inputted already, and it just says “blank” for the words on the right of the header.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: French doc (to be accessible) not correctly pronounced
              raeben3 Level 3

There doesn't seem to be an attachment. And actually I see no way to create one when replying...  I believe this feature may be gone --pretty sure it used be there.  Too bad! I would like to take a look at it.

When you click on "Help" "Repair Acrobat Installation" is one of the options in the drop down menu. At least in Acrobat Pro X.  I do not get any choices.  You may/may not have ability to do this with your privileges, but give it a try. I don't *think* it will cause any problems to try. 

• 4. Re: French doc (to be accessible) not correctly pronounced
                shirlcanada Level 1

Is there an email address I can send the attachment to as it’d be very helpful for you to look at the doc and determine the reason for the problem?

Also, when I click on “Help” “Repair Acrobat Installation” I either get the message “Not responding” or “Online Help Content cannot be displayed. Verify you can launch your web browser and have access to the internet”.  I therefore clicked on “Help” “Online Support” “Accessibility Resource Centre” then on the Search box located on the top right corner I enter “Repair Acrobat Installation” and I get various options.  My co-worker who has Acrobat X Pro also gets the same results.

• 5. Re: French doc (to be accessible) not correctly pronounced
                  raeben3 Level 3

You can upload files at this link and I'll take a look --

http://dbinbox.com/raeben3

• 6. Re: French doc (to be accessible) not correctly pronounced
                    shirlcanada Level 1

Tx for the link although I get the following message when trying to attach the doc.

cid:image001.png@01CE523B.C59864D0

• 7. Re: French doc (to be accessible) not correctly pronounced
                      raeben3 Level 3

IT seems the dbinbox is having server problems. 

Try attaching your PDF to an email and sending it to rae_fca1@sendtodropbox.com

Hopefully that will work.

• 8. Re: French doc (to be accessible) not correctly pronounced
                        raeben3 Level 3

I received the file and opened it using Adobe Acrobat Pro X.

The language in the document you sent (RIS Template Accessible (2013-05-09)_French_test_Adobe.pdf) was already defined as French. I had no problem setting and resetting the language.  I was able to change it to English, save it, close it, and reopen it and the setting "stuck".  I changed it back to French, saved it, closed it and reopened with no problem.  

Using Freedom Scientific's Jaws screen reader version 14, the file reads in French and so do the numbers in the document. The Headings, however,  read in English, i.e., "Heading One" .  I believe this can be adjusted from within Jaws as a user preference, so a French user would not experience this.  

I noted another problem in the structure of the file.  There is a table in the document, and even though it is correctly tagged as a table, Jaws did not recognize the table structure. This sometimes happens to me when I have inserted pages from one document into another document, but I am usually able to fix it.  In this case, I was not able to permanenetly fix that problem.  I fixed it  temporarily by inserting a 1 page document with a simple table into the test document before Page 1. It would recognize both tables after I did this.  But after deleting page 1, it reverted and would not recognize the other table.

How are these files being created?

• 9. Re: French doc (to be accessible) not correctly pronounced
                          shirlcanada Level 1

Thanks for reviewing the document! Does the document also read correctly in French using the “Read out Loud” function on Adobe Acrobat Pro X?  I tried reading it with Adobe Pro and Standard and both pronounced the words and numbers in English.

Re. problem w/ the structure of the file, do you have any other permanent fixes since the temporary fix doesn’t seem to work?

The files (including tables) were created on Microsoft Word from a blank document although we cut and pasted contents from another word document (the original document) since the original document wasn’t created with accessibility in mind…hence, we’re trying to re-create the template/table in  accessible form and then populating the contents.

Tx!