7 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2013 12:52 PM by dnetmike

InDesign CS3 - Vanilla Install - Question Marks All Over My Content

dnetmike

Yes, I'm still using InDesign CS3 on my MacBook Pro from 5 years ago. CS3 has worked like a charm and I've never had a problem with any files until this morning.

I've got a 120 page book, each page with images and text boxes, none of which are threaded. I opened my file this morning and all my content boxes: images and text have question marks on the top left corner.

I have no plug-ins. The installation is straight out of the box with the occasional updates, which stopped quite awhile ago.

The error that pops up when I place the cursor in a text box is: "31-40-TasksAssemble-Instal.incx" cannot be located.  Another error is: "31-40 TasksDirectly supe-1.incx cannot be located. I have no idea what these mean and when I did a Google search there were only 3 returns and they were from what appeared to be software pirate sites. I can't find a reference to this on the Adobe forums either.

I've saved under a different name, different file type and replaced the preferences, all to no avail. I think the application is behaving as though I've "checked out" the content, but I don't share my files with anyone and the file itself isn't on a network - there is nowhere to check out to, and the commands to check in is grayed out so I can't reverse the behavior.

Illustration.png

I'm stumped and I have a deadline! Can anyone help??

thank you!

Message was edited by: dnetmike

• 1. Re: InDesign CS3 - Vanilla Install - Question Marks All Over My Content
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I believe you've lost the link to InCopy content, but I'm not an IC user and haven't a clue how to fix it.

• 2. Re: InDesign CS3 - Vanilla Install - Question Marks All Over My Content
            dnetmike Level 1

Bummer...but thank you. I've stumped a guy who's posted 40K posts! Not a good sign.

I've never used InCopy ever. Do you think reinstalling ID would be of any help? I'd rather not if I don't have to, but maybe it would help?

• 3. Re: InDesign CS3 - Vanilla Install - Question Marks All Over My Content
              MW Design Level 4

First things first. A resetting of your preferences may (or may not) correct the error. Looking at your links panel may reveal missing links, at least if they are unrelated to the error.

Mike

• 4. Re: InDesign CS3 - Vanilla Install - Question Marks All Over My Content

No, I don't think reinstalling is going to help. Figuring out why everything is suddenly an InCopy link, on the other hand...  I've said InCopy because you said you were working in CS3, and because the error referenced a .incx file (which is the extension for an InCopy interchange file). That said, if you are working on a legacy file in CS6, these could be other missing links as well. There's a new "link badge" ornament in that position on any frame that has linked content by default in CS6.

• 5. Re: InDesign CS3 - Vanilla Install - Question Marks All Over My Content
                  dnetmike Level 1

Thank you both! Mike - I have reset the preferences and that did not help. Peter - truly finding the answer to why these all suddenly became InCopy files is essential. I've searched for the InCopy files names which appear in the hover screens (in the Links and Assignments windows) but those names don't actually appear on my hard drive!

This older post was quite useful and the workaround to "unlink" all of my 765 links will be extremely tedious but should work until I find the real answer. The link is this, and the useful paragraph for me appears at the end:

http://incopysecrets.com/fixing-links-to-missing-stories.php

Helpful_Paragraph.png

I have Time Machine as a backup but the only thing I ever have done differently is to drag my InDesign file to my external hd as an added precaution - maybe in doing so I did something strange to the copy....but I can't imagine how.

• 6. Re: InDesign CS3 - Vanilla Install - Question Marks All Over My Content

It's not surprising that the links can't be found on the hard drive. They probably wouldn't be missing if they were findable.  Has anyone else had access to or worked on this file?

• 7. Re: InDesign CS3 - Vanilla Install - Question Marks All Over My Content
                      dnetmike Level 1

No one has worked on or had access to this file but me. I'm on a network but I'm a Mac in a PC world and no one would even know how to find my hd, let alone do anything on it.

I have to believe it is related to my moving my entire project folder to an external hd (not just the file as I mentioned before) as a means of backup. I don't know why it would matter or what it could have done unless there are files created in the Library that are somehow related/linked to the stories.

I'm still searching the Adobe Forums for something related but all ID/IC related discussions relate to people actually using IC!

I've unlinked all of my content from IC and now I'll have to see what happens.

[POSTSCRIPT]

I've been editing my layout most of the day and so far so good.

The oddity of each box asking for a link to InCopy, which has never been used, happened only after I dragged my project folder to an external hard drive as a precautionary backup. All InDesign files in both original and backup folder suffered this problem. I didn't dare open any other ID files for fear of corrupting them so I can't say how widespread this problem would have been.

I do not know why making a copy of a folder would have created this problem and I can't find any discussion thread that talks about it, much less sheds any light on the subject.

After unlinking all of the boxes from their non-existent "host file" the boxes remained intact complete with images and formatting. I saved often!