19 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2017 12:20 AM by Zaid Al Hilali

Iindesign to PPT with editable text

b cris

Is it possible to convert indesign documents to PPT with editable text? Thanks

• 1. Re: Iindesign to PPT with editable text
          MW Design Level 4

Same reply as on the PS forum...no.

You can provide the art in the form of a PNG image to PowerPoint and copy the text from AI, PS or ID into PP.

Mike

• 2. Re: Iindesign to PPT with editable text
            Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@b cris – yes, but not for free.
            See:

http://www.recosoft.com/press-releases/3133.html

I did not test that solution. If you will try it, please report back how it went…

Uwe

• 3. Re: Iindesign to PPT with editable text
              Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

In theory, you can export the InDesign document to PDF and then in Acrobat XI Pro, save as a PowerPoint presentation. That having been said, at best you will end up with the page content of the InDesign document in PowerPoint slides without any context. And many graphical constructs of PDF in general and InDesign in particular have no equivalence in PowerPoint.

- Dov

2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Iindesign to PPT with editable text
                Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I just recreate the files in Powerpoint, far more effective in my opinion.

I have Cs5.5 and Powerpoint 2003.

Package the CS5.5 file up to gather all the images to one location.

Extract/copy all the text to a word file or directly to the powerpoint stage.

You can then drage the images from the Links Folder directly into Powerpoint.

Powerpoint has a Crop Tool and you can resize images. The PPT presentation becomes a massive file, but you can go through each Format Picture options to resample and trim the cropped images.

I've been able to Place most image formats from .ai to eps, tif to psd to jpg, gif to PNG.

Powerpoint is very versatile in this regard.

• 5. Re: Iindesign to PPT with editable text
                  Paul Chadha Level 1

I represent Recosoft. We make ID2Office (www.recosoft.com/products/id2office). ID2Office is a plug-in for InDesign CS5 - CC 2014 that converts InDesign files to editable PowerPoint, Keynote and Word files. We have a trial version available and I've posted a youtube demo here how it works.

• 6. Re: Iindesign to PPT with editable text
                    com_amy Level 1

Recosoft has an interesting product and I debated trying it out, but IMO your trial version registration is completely ridiculous. "You must provide a proper reason to obtain the trial (mentioning I want to try, I want to test etc is not a proper reason). You need to explain your Workflow Requirement." Seriously? Isn't the reason for a trial version to test things out? You want people to justify in detail why they want to try the software or drop $200 on faith? Just add a watermark or something instead of making me write you a novel about why I interested. I just closed the window and googled other companies with similar products.

@

• 7. Re: Iindesign to PPT with editable text
                      Paul Chadha Level 1

Hello Amy -

Thank you for your feedback. We understand everyone wants to test a product out (we do it also). What we are interested in knowing is how specifically in your workflow the product will help you. This allows us to better understand how we should enhance the product. For example, do you want to convert an ID file to PPT and have tables editable or do you want to convert ID files to Word format because you make templates in InDesign but your marketing requires Word files. This information allows us to better prioritize the next features of ID2Office.

• 8. Re: Iindesign to PPT with editable text
                        Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Amy – if you have a chance, you could test exporting a PDF from InDesign, open it in the new Acrobat Pro DC (CC subscription version preferred) and export to PowerPoint.

I made some tests with this functionality. The conversion will not be perfect, but good enough not to start from scratch in PowerPoint. I did not test extensively…

Uwe

• 9. Re: Iindesign to PPT with editable text
                          Paul Chadha Level 1

We've just updated ID2Office v2.1 to support InDesign CC 2015. I represent Recosoft the creators of ID2Office - http://www.recosoft.com/products/id2office for both the Mac and Windows platforms.

• 10. Re: Iindesign to PPT with editable text
                            gys101032 Level 1

Just bought full package ID2Office v2.1 and testing as we speak. Different images on 1 page seem to be grouped as 1 image in the ppt.

• 11. Re: Iindesign to PPT with editable text
                              Paul Chadha Level 1

Hello -

I represent Recosoft the makers the ID2Office. The issue with graphics is very tricky. InDesign is just at the higher level. An ID file can contain CMYK, Lab, RGB images and all sorts of graphics with transformations applied that have no direction translation or correlation when converting to the Office formats. Many a times, the images combine (there is no hard and fast rule but; we tried different strategies in solving the problem but nothing came out satisfactory - many a times the layout fidelity was compromised). So at present this is bound to occur. We're working on a longer term solution to address this issue. Its just not available today.

• 12. Re: Iindesign to PPT with editable text
                                gys101032 Level 1

Tnx for the very fast reply, very appreciated! I understand the issue, but what's the use then if images are an issue? It's Indesign, a graphical software, the idea of not being available today is a bit odd.  When I export to .ps from ID, then use Distiller, and then export to PPT from Acrobat PRO DC I have a better result with the images? (and we need Acrobat anyway, so why spend 199$/year then?).

• 13. Re: Iindesign to PPT with editable text
                                  Paul Chadha Level 1

Hello -

ID2Office is very different then say using InDesign going to PDF and using a PDF converter to convert to PPT. ID2Office will make sure all paragraphs, text, font and style are accurate. The pixel placement replication of the text and everything else is correct (size, font name, styles etc). Furthermore all tables (tables that span across columns, pages etc) will end up looking exactly the same no matter (with header rows and footer rows accurately placed). Master page elements will be correctly applied so no artifacts remain. Even, bullet/lists will appear properly. It also handles "tables in tables" properly so that going to the office formats is accurate. InDesign Style sheets for example are correctly converted to Word style sheets. Drop-shadows are properly mapped. If you go from ID to PDF to PPT a lot of times even the graphics may not come out properly (depending on the PDF creation - you can even have images that are sliced and cut up); the line breaks and paragraphs and styles will end up shoddy at times. There is no guarantee what will occur. PDFs dont contain much information. ID2Office overcomes all of these situations. Again, the only real challenge we have at present is the graphics handling and we are working on a longer term solution for this.

• 14. Re: Iindesign to PPT with editable text
                                    fastrida Level 1

This was very useful and allowed me to make notes and text changes to send to my designer

• 15. Re: Iindesign to PPT with editable text
                                      Arabictranslator Level 1

Hello

I have just installed ID2Office. Unfortunately, it is more than 30 min trying to start my InDesign CC2017 x64 , and waiting still!

It seems there is an integration problem, and I need to uninstall ID2Office.

Regards

• 16. Re: Iindesign to PPT with editable text
                                        Arabictranslator Level 1

Just to be honest! It worked out, finally, and I am very satisfied with the results so far! I have converted 3 pages of an InDesign file, including Arabic text, and it was amazing to see it in PowerPoint in the same font styles and format! REALLY IMPRESSED!

Thank you

• 17. Re: Iindesign to PPT with editable text
                                          Zaid Al Hilali Adobe Community Professional

I tested this ID2Office on an Arabic document on Mac platform, it didn't convert Arabic well at all even though the fonts were good. I also tested PDF2Office on a PDF with Arabic content, it failed there too.

Do you want to share more details?

• 18. Re: Iindesign to PPT with editable text
                                            Paul Chadha Level 1

Hello Zaid -

I represent Recosoft the creators of ID2Office and PDF2Office. PDF2Office does not support Arabic text. With respect to ID2Office you can reach us at info AT recosoft.com and explain you details to us. Simply saying it didn't do well on a Mac doesnt share much information.

• 19. Re: Iindesign to PPT with editable text
                                              Zaid Al Hilali Adobe Community Professional

Hi Paul. I'm communicating with support team already. Hopefully I get to understand the plug-in better.