10 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2013 11:26 AM by JJMack

Two basic questions

makerimage

When you open a new canvas what are the different ways you can give it a color?

When you try to move or transform something and you get the message about a smart object and/or rasterizing, what does this mean and how do you solve it?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Two basic questions
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

A new document can have transparent normal bottom layer. Or a solid color Background layer White or whatever the current color the background  swatch is. You can always fill it however you want.

Transforming "Something" please specify what that something is.

• 2. Re: Two basic questions
            makerimage Level 1

I'd just like to know what that terminology refers to. How do I change the canvas color?

• 3. Re: Two basic questions
              Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If there is nothing on the canvas, you can just use the fill command (ctrl-F5 or shift-backspace) On the left side of the screen there are two color swatches, first is the foreground (alt-backspace) and the second is the background (ctrl-backspace), double clicking on either swatch will bring up the color picker where you can choose another color.

• 4. Re: Two basic questions
                Tartışma

A new document can have transparent normal bottom layer. Or a solid color Background layer White or whatever the current color the background  swatch is. canlı sohbet You can always fill it however you want. sohbet

Transforming "Something" please specify what that something is.

yes good answer.

• 6. Re: Two basic questions
                  Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The reason why JJ asked what "something" is, is because a smart object means something different to a shape layer, a converted layer, a camera raw image, a movie animation, 3D object, etc. And therefore converting one way and back changes on its type with some of them very difficult or not able to reverse.

Example: A layer can be converted to a smart object by right clicking on its layer and selecting smart object in the menu, at this point most filters can be used in a non-destructive way, in that it is very easy to edit the filter later on. This layer can then be rasterized by using the same menu, which renders that layer as a bitmap image, anything that was in that layer is no longer editible in the sense of quick editing, for example text would be just an image not live text.

If you merge the layers or flatten the layers, the same thing happens, all the layers become a single bitmap layer. Howerver if some of the layers are hidden or certain layers are selected, then other merge options are available, such as the ability to merge only visible layers or merge selected layers and leave the rest alone.

OK, I have gone into a fair amount of detail, if you have any questions let us know...

• 7. Re: Two basic questions
                    makerimage Level 1

I know about those boxes on the left, but though I can choose the color it doesn't fill my canvas. Am I supposed to choose a certain tool or command to fill it? I'm using a Mac. The shortcut keys didn't do anything either.

• 8. Re: Two basic questions

In the new document dialog which of the three options do you have set the background if transparent the layer will be a normal layer not a background layer and it will be empty and look like a checkerboard

newdoc.jpgtpbg.jpg

• 9. Re: Two basic questions
                        makerimage Level 1

Why would I want a transparent layer as my first layer? I set it to white but then can't change it's color. I don't see a command to let me do that.

• 10. Re: Two basic questions

Please post a screen capture we are getting no where with words.   I have a difficult time communicating with words that is why I post images. You should not have any problem creating any background layer you want.  You have background options in the New Document Dialog.  And you should be able to target the bottom layer in and new document you create and use Photoshop Fill to fill it any way you care to. I show you where in 5 menu Edit>Fill and also showed you the fill dialog in 5. It a dialog not a command.