8 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2013 8:33 AM by maxweel

New iMac - AE doesn't see CUDA?

Navarro Parker Level 3

Just installed AE CS6 from Creative Cloud this afternoon and ran all the updates brining it to 11.0.2.

But it's not recognizing my brand new iMac (13,2) NVidia GTX 680MX 2GB as having CUDA capabilities. Even though I have the latest CUDA drivers installed.

Any ideas what's going on?

Screen-Shot-2013-05-14-at-10.50.47-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2013-05-14-at-10.51.11-PM.png

• 1. Re: New iMac - AE doesn't see CUDA?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I think Todd recommended going back to a previous version of the CUDA stuff in one thread by installing some Beta driver from nVidia...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: New iMac - AE doesn't see CUDA?
            maxweel Level 2

Can't you get your card to be detected by adding its name in the raytracer_supported_cards file or whatever it's called? You seem to have a mobile version of the card so it might not be in the default list.

If I remember, you just need to run GPU Sniffer from a terminal to get the name of the card as seen by AE, and then add the name to the list.

Or is this not recommended by Adobe?

• 3. Re: New iMac - AE doesn't see CUDA?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The 680MX is not on the list of cards that After Effects CS6 will use for GOU acceleration of the ray-traced 3D renderer.

• 4. Re: New iMac - AE doesn't see CUDA?
                Navarro Parker Level 3

Does AE CS6 support other Nvidia Kepler GPUs?

Is the 680 supported in After Effects CC?

• 5. Re: New iMac - AE doesn't see CUDA?
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The CS6 (11.0.2) update added the general code needed for the Kepler architecture. Only a few Kepler cards were thoroughly tested and put on the white-list.

The only change in this area for After Effects CC (12.0) is the addition of the K5000 to the white-list.

It is our intent in the next release (targeted for fall of 2013) to do what Premiere Pro CC (7.0) did: add a preference that you can enable that allows you to bypass the white-list check and use any GPU that meets certain minimum requirements.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: New iMac - AE doesn't see CUDA?
                    maxweel Level 2
                    add a preference that you can enable that allows you to bypass the white-list check and use any GPU that meets certain minimum requirements.

Todd, isn't that what the GPU Sniffer was there for in CS6? I'm on AMD on my main computer unfortunately, but I had another one with a GT430 and even though things were still pretty slow it was far better to add the card to the white list than use the CPU.

So if you're planning to add a way to white-list some cards, does it mean it's OK to add a card manually to the CS6 white-list today or should this be avoided?

• 7. Re: New iMac - AE doesn't see CUDA?
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Todd, isn't that what the GPU Sniffer was there for in CS6?

For OpenGL, yes. But we're talking here about CUDA.

> So if you're planning to add a way to white-list some cards, does it mean it's OK to add a card manually to the CS6 white-list today or should this be avoided?

It's untested, and it's unsupported. All that the preference will do is give you an easy way of choosing to use an untested and unsupported configuration. I'm not going to tell you to do so, but I also can't stop you from doing it. If you run into problems, no Adobe person will help you with troubleshooting unless you're using a tested and supported configuration.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: New iMac - AE doesn't see CUDA?
                        maxweel Level 2

I am talking about CUDA too.

Anyway, I just found this thread where you explain your view on what I was mentioning, along with your last post I understand a bit better your position now: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4389479#4389479