3 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2013 3:14 PM by Harm Millaard

Prepping still images for use in Premier Pro.

Bob Noyes Level 1

Was hoping someone could shed some light on the best way to prepare still shots for a Premier Pro cs6 Mulimedia presentaion. The presentation will be projected onto a large  screen in a theater, Screen measure approx 16' wide. The presentation will also be burned to DVD so people can view on their computers or televisions.

Did another project last year but all the images ended up being fuzzy and not sharp even though my originals were perfect.

Do I size the images for the large screen pixel dimension which would be huge or do I keep the resolution high and not worry about the pixel dimensions.... or am I just totally off on this whole thing.P

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Bob Noyes

• 1. Re: Prepping still images for use in Premier Pro.
          Harm Millaard Level 7

The screen size is completely irrelevant. It makes no difference whether the screen is 1' wide, 16' or even 160'. The only thing relevant is the resolution of the final delivery format. For DVD it is simple. 720 x 480 NTSC or 720 x 576 PAL. Nothing else. For Bluray it is equally simple: 1920 x 1080 is the maximum resolution. You could opt for editing in 4K and playback in 4K from the PC if you have a very powerful PC. If that is not an option, adhere to BR and DVD dimensions and reduce the still sizes to that size before editing.

If you start out with stills with 5000 x 3750 dimension (18.75 MP) and reduce them to 720 x 480, you lose more than 98% of the resolution, so of course they look unsharp and fuzzy.

• 2. Re: Prepping still images for use in Premier Pro.
            Bob Noyes Level 1

Thanks Harm, ok that makes sense but  by "If you start out with stills with 5000 x 3750 dimension (18.75 MP) and reduce them to 720 x 480, you lose more than 98% of the resolution, so of course they look unsharp and fuzzy." How do people get presentaions that look nice and sharp like I have seen many times?

• 3. Re: Prepping still images for use in Premier Pro.
              Harm Millaard Level 7

I think it is more in the eye of the beholder. It is subjective. Why? You know the original quality, you see the difference between the original and the final format, so of course you see the huge difference, but what if you had only seen the final product and did not know how the original looked. It would probably not be that noticeable.