Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Failed to generate eBook (eBook). See compilation message for more details."

Explorer ,
May 15, 2013 May 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I'm trying to output my Help system into an eBook format using RH v10, but I keep getting the error message, "Failed to generate eBook (eBook). See compilation message for more details."

I check the Output View, and all that is listed is:

"Generating EPUB 3 output...

EPUB 3 output generation failed.

Internal error encountered,  Failed to generate eBook."

This message tells me nothing. So what gives? Do I have too many topics? Too many conditional tags? Not enough rain in the area? Too much pressure on the keyboard keys?

Help, please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at the sample projects as they contain information about creating this output, amongst others. Look in AUTHOR INFO.

Click Open on the RoboHelp Starter page and then click Samples in the ribbon on the left..

See of that helps.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I can generate an eBook for one of the sample projects, but I continue to get the "Failed to generate" error for my project. Is there a space limit or something?

I wish the error message was more intuitive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First compare all the settings. Then create a very simple text only project with a couple of topics. That will begin to prove it is content related. Post back with results.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 17, 2013 May 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can create the file if I leave out the FAQ topics in my project. I put a conditional tag on the FAQ topic folder, then excluded topics marked with that tag when I generated the file. I am okay with this for the time being.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A fairly obvious guess is it is something about the formatting of those pages.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I suspect it's the long file names for those topics. They were imported into RoboHelp from our Knowledgebase 2 years ago (I think they were in an Excel spreadsheet), and upon import, RH automatically gave the .html file names the same names as the topics. So there are incredibly long file names, like "I_get_an_Unfortunate_Occurrence_message_when_I_do_Blah_and_blah_what_do_I_do.html."

Cleaning up the hundreds of file names is on my long list of tasks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

With file names like that, your topics don't need content.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp