11 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2013 9:52 PM by KimSMC

Users Required to Install X-fonts

KimSMC

When some of users open their form, they are being told some fonts are missing.  When they click the link to install the missing fonts it is prompting them to install Japanese x-fonts.  We don't have any Japanese chatacters included and would rather our users not be required to install anything.  Is it possible to either embed those fonts or remove them?  If they don't run the install - the form is blank.

Kim.

• 1. Re: Users Required to Install X-fonts
          Josh_Corey Adobe Employee

Hi;

I am assuming you are referring to a PDF form created in FormsCentral, is that correct?  And your users are opening the PDF in Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat?  FormsCentral PDFs do need to be filled out in Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader.  If the users are using Adobe Acrobat/Reader can you find out what version? 

Thanks,

Josh

• 2. Re: Users Required to Install X-fonts
            KimSMC Level 1

Thanks Josh!

Yes, these are PDFs created in FormsCentral.  The users are using Adobe Reader - version 10.1.7.

She can fill it out, but without downloading the Font Pkg repeatedly for each pdf. , she can't see the "labels" for what the fields are supposed to say. She has a Mac.  When she downloads the font pkg, it lets her see the form, but then she has to download the font pkg again (every time) when she goes to open the next one.

Both users we have who are on PCs were able to get it working once they installed the font package.  I'm still waiting on their version numbers.

Thanks again,

Kim.

• 3. Re: Users Required to Install X-fonts

Would you mind sharing the PDF with me, you can send it to jcorey@adobe.com

Thanks,

Josh

• 4. Re: Users Required to Install X-fonts

I got your PDF, thanks.  I do see a Japanese font in there, not text shown in the PDF, but the font is in the document, now let's find out how/why...

Did you create this form from one of the Templates?  Which one did you use?  Did you copy/paste anything into this form from another form or anywhere else?

Thanks,

Josh

• 5. Re: Users Required to Install X-fonts
                  KimSMC Level 1

Yes, I did create it from a template.  I used the Non-Profit/Volunteer Registration template.

I did copy and paste some text into some of the text boxes but otherwise I only copied form elements from the form (to duplicate the various sections).

Thanks!

Kim.

• 6. Re: Users Required to Install X-fonts

I have a feeling there was a character in the text you copied/pasted that somehow had these characters, I tried creating a PDF from "Volunteer Registration" Template and changed it to use the Ariel and Vedana fonts you used but did not get the extra font "KozGoProVI-Medium".

I do get similar fonts when I change the language on the Templates tab and create the form from a Japanese Template, but your form was English so that doesn't help explain anything.

Would you mind sharing your form with me so I can see if I can find the cause?  Instructions on how to share the form: http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-3351

Thanks,

Josh

• 7. Re: Users Required to Install X-fonts
                      KimSMC Level 1

Sure thing!  I have several identical forms (that apparently all have the same issue) but I shared one with you.  Let me know if you need the others or if it is a fix I can just make myself.

Thanks!

Kim.

• 8. Re: Users Required to Install X-fonts

OK - I found the culprit.  Do you remember how you created the field "Employer Identification Number (EIN)"?  That is the field that creates the Japanese font and there is more funny about that field I am going to look into.

I see a few other oddities in your form, did you do some editing of the order of the columns in the table on the View Responses tab?  They are out of order and there are columns there for fields that don't exist in your form... 

I fixed your form, and if it is the same field in other forms you can fix those by creating another text field above/below the existing "Employer Identification Number (EIN)" field, copy the label text into the label and the help text into the help text of the new field, next mark the new field Required.  Before deleting the old/bad field, assuming you do want the associated responses, go to the View Responses tab and copy/paste the contents of the cells from the old field into the ones for the new field. 

Let me know if you would like me to fix your other forms, also if you have any recollection of how that field was created.

Thanks,

Josh

• 9. Re: Users Required to Install X-fonts
                          KimSMC Level 1

Thanks so much!  Unfortunately, I have no recolection of how I made that field.  I would have thought I just added a text box, but it's been a while since I made the original form.  Fixing the others sounds easy enough so I'll get on that.  What else is funny about that field?

The column order is intentional.  We have a set spreadsheet that all the response data needs to be loaded into that is in the order you see in the data sheet.  That order doesn't make as much sense to the people filling out the form so we tried to give them an order that would make sense to them while keep the data in the format we needed.

Thanks again, I didn't want to have to explain to everyone why they needed Japanese fonts. 

Kim.

• 10. Re: Users Required to Install X-fonts

Excellent, do you think that you copied/pasted that same field from form to form and that it is likely the issue for your other forms?  I saw some odd behavior when I deleted the field and then did an undo, I think it's best to delete and recreate that field, I wasn't able to reproduce a second time, I think it's best to delete the field.  I made a copy of the form and will look into it further.

Good to know the column order was intentional, I'll assume you also added the additional columns, not that it is unusual, just combined with the order it struck me strange, but probably isn't.

Thanks,

Josh

• 11. Re: Users Required to Install X-fonts
                              KimSMC Level 1

All the other forms are duplicates of the first one - so that is unquestionably the issue. 

And yes, the additional fields were for things we store but most people don't need to enter (like country, almost everyone is in the US and we have a different form for those who aren't) and one field that we were using to concatinate data.

Thanks again!!

Kim.