7 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2013 5:28 PM by ruiz525

To take a frame from a clip

ruiz525 Level 1

Thanks

How do I take one frame from a clip?

I have read that the Pro version has a "camera button" to do the job, but in Premiere Elements?

Regards

• 1. Re: To take a frame from a clip
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It depends on which version of the program you're using.

In version 11, just select the Freeze Frame tool under the Tools button on the Action Bar along the bottom of the interface.

• 2. Re: To take a frame from a clip
            A.T. Romano Level 7

ruiz525

Generalized, but example given for Premiere Elements 11 Windows

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what operating system is it running (including 32 or 64 bit)?

Do you intend to use the freeze frame in one of your video projects later?

If you are using Premiere Elements 11 Windows, you can do your freeze frame (one at a time) from Tools Menu/Freeze Frame or Tool Tab/Freeze Frame at bottom of interface. Both give one at a time freeze frame as .bmp image.

You can also go to Publish+Share/Computer/Image for default JPEG choices or customize the JPEG under the Advanced Button/Export Settings. There is even an option there "Export to Sequence" where you can get a frame for each of the frames of your video all at one time.

In all cases, except the special "Export to Sequence", the freeze frame is from the location of the Timeline Indicator on the Timeline.

More information with details of your program.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: To take a frame from a clip
              ruiz525 Level 1

Thanks a lot.

I am using Elements 11

Windows 7 of 64 bits

I would like to take some frames from an aerial clip so later I will do a Panorama with them!

• 4. Re: To take a frame from a clip
                A.T. Romano Level 7

ruiz525

Thanks for the follow up.

The reason that I asked whether or not the freeze frames from video were to go into a video eventually was related to the facts

a. freeze frames from video may need to be deinterlaced

b. whereas photos from cameras do not have fields and consequently deinterlacing related to fields of the frame would not be a consideration.

Do you have Photoshop Elements as well as Premiere Elements?

Also check out Premiere Elements' Field Options/Always Deinterlace for your Timeline content as well as the Freeze Frame dialog's option for "Edit in Photoshop Elements after inserting". That permits you edits of the freeze frame if necessary. It used to be that you could deinterlace the freeze frame there, using the Photoshop Elements Filter Menu/Video/De-Interlace. I do not see that Filter option in Photoshop Elements 11. Need to check that out. It was in versions of Photoshop Elements earlier than 11.

ATR

ATR

• 5. Re: To take a frame from a clip
                  ruiz525 Level 1

Yes I have Elements 10 and also 11.

I saw it at Elements 10, but for now I am using  always Elements 11, so I will try also to find where is FILTER MENU/ VIDEO

Meanwhile: what is deinterlace?

What means;

- eliminates odd/even fields?

Create new fields by duplication / interpolation?

Can I just use the image and work it?

Thanks once again

• 6. Re: To take a frame from a clip
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

ruiz525

The following is an interesting and informative article on Interlaced and Progressive video. I think it should answer your questions about deinterlace, fields, and other aspects of the topic. If your image looks OK, then you can just use it as is, but always good to make a before and after deinterlacing to see how much it helps. I do not believe that there is a Video/De-interlace Filter in Photoshop Elements 11 as in earlier versions. At least I have not found it in the Filter Menu there.

http://www.neuron2.net/LVG/interlacing.html

Please check out the information in the link and then let us know if you have any more questions.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: To take a frame from a clip
                      ruiz525 Level 1

Excelent article ATR...

Thanks for all  and I will work with all this info for my project.

Thanks anticipated

Roberto