4 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2013 2:08 PM by Peter Spier

How do I enter sequential numbers, three per page?

americanprinting1 Level 1

I'm making auction bid numbers which are three to a page, and my document is 100 pages long.  I need sequential numbers from 001 to 300.  How do I do that?!  The only sequential number entry in the Index talks about page numbering, which won't work for me because I need three numbers per page.  I tried to make a new variable data entry, but I can only ever get it to say 001.  I'm new to InDesign, but I really don't want to make 300 text boxes and then go in one-by-one and change the numbers.  There must be some way to do this...

• 1. Re: How do I enter sequential numbers, three per page?
          peter minneapolis Level 4

Search Google for terms like "InDesign numbered tickets" without quotes.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

americanprinting1 wrote:

I'm making auction bid numbers which are three to a page, and my document is 100 pages long.  I need sequential numbers from 001 to 300.  How do I do that?!  The only sequential number entry in the Index talks about page numbering, which won't work for me because I need three numbers per page.  I tried to make a new variable data entry, but I can only ever get it to say 001.  I'm new to InDesign, but I really don't want to make 300 text boxes and then go in one-by-one and change the numbers.  There must be some way to do this...

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I enter sequential numbers, three per page?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Peter G.'s suggestion will probably locate any number of posts about this on this forum -- I know I've given some fairly extensive answers here myself.

Basically, you have two choices, place a text file that is the number list, or use Data Merge, which will also require the number list. For data merge you can use one number per record and do a multiple records per page merge, which requires a template with only one instance of your placeholder on the page, or do three numbers per record and merge one record per page into a three-up template.

Frankly, putting three linked frames on the master and placing the number list, using a paragraph style set to start in next frame, is probably easier in this case.

• 3. Re: How do I enter sequential numbers, three per page?
              americanprinting1 Level 1

I followed the directions on the link you posted, and it worked! Thank you! The only problem I had was that when the pages were generated, they shifted over 1.25" to the right so that some of the image hangs off the right side of each document page. Any ideas what causes that?

• 4. Re: How do I enter sequential numbers, three per page?
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are you using a multiple records data merge? We've seen some similar reports, and I think it's probably a bug, but check the margin settings in the merge options, and don't preview before merging.