2 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2013 2:24 PM by Andrew Yoole

Soft text after render, out of ideas

themikereda

Hello everyone! I was making a Kinetic Typography video for a school project, and every time I render the text gets soft. The only time it rendered nicely, I was using the Animation codec which turned my 1-minute video into a 10GB file.

I turned off OpenGL, and rendered using After Effects with no luck, I sent the file to Media Encoder with no luck, and my teacher doesn't know what's wrong either. I showed her my comp preview and the final .MOV and she agreed that it's exporting soft, especially when the text is red instead of white.

This is the comp:

good01.jpg

This is the .MOV

bad01.jpg

I'm sure the difference may look negligible at this small size, but I would like to put this on a demo reel and I just don't think the quality is high enough, let alone the color shift from red to pink. I understand H.264 compression loses some quality and some color information, but I feel like this is too much. I'm not sure what else to try. The comp settings are as follows:

CS5

1280x720

23.976fps

Square pixels

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears! Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Soft text after render, out of ideas
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

You know, it you right-click on the image, your browser lets you open it in a new window.  You can even see it in full resolution.

I did just that, and for the life of me, I can't see any significant difference between the Good and Bad shots to save my life.  The edges of the text are equally sharp.  The reds -- always a problem color -- aren't overly saturated, and one looks just as good as the other.

Sorry, but your two frame grabs don't illustrate what you're seeing to me.

• 2. Re: Soft text after render, out of ideas
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

When I overlay yiur images together and set the upper layer to Difference mode, there is almost no difference between the images. A slight gamma change in the rendered output causes some visible greyness, and there is a very slight visible edge to the red text.

good01.jpg

Like Dave, I'm seeing very little evidence of an issue.  Is it, perhaps, just compression artifacts you're seeing?  What codecs and data rates have you tried that result in soft output?