2 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2013 3:51 PM by Artlandish

How to stop micro-numbers in headings

Artlandish

Exporting PDFs from MS Word 2010 (Windows). Acrobat 11 Pro.

About 2 weeks ago, my system started creating tiny 1 point letters/numbers in front of headings, links, and other items when exporting PDFs from MS Word. To the naked eye they look like a black dot, but zoomed in shows 01, 02, T2201 and similar things.

First graphic is what you see in the PDF viewed at 100%.

Acrobat numbers junk 1.jpg

The second graphic is zoomed in 2000%. The number is set in 1 point type.

Acrobat numbers junk 2.jpg

Word .docx file uses traditional Heading 1, Heading 2 styles for formatting. No numbering is set for these items in word. Smallest file size settings are chosen in Acrobat Preferences (Acrobat Ribbon in Word). And once they are generated in the PDF, they are set inside little text frames in front of the heading text.

They are not produced when I transfer this document to another computer and export to PDF, so there's something in my system that's doing this.

They are affecting accessibility because they are read as part of the heading. In this example, screen reader voices it as "1 Busing" instead of "Using."

Any ideas how to stop these little monsters from showing up in my PDFs?

• 1. Re: How to stop micro-numbers in headings
          raeben3 Level 3

This is very interesting.

What is the origin of these Word files, I mean did you or a coworker create them, did you receive them from an author/editor, download them or were they exported from another program like Indesign, Framemaker, Quark or some other page layout or composition program? 

Did you start receiving files from a new source or did you change your workflow around the time the problem started?

When the files are created did you copy and paste information from a Content Management System, online or other source ?

Could they have started with an HTML or XML file and somehow those codes are in the Word document albeit invisible?

Do the numbers follow a pattern -- for example, do all the Heading 1s have 1B, all the Heading 2s have 2B or something like that? 

Can you upload one of the Word files to an ftp site or send them to me at rae_fca1@sendtodropbox.com  ?

• 2. Re: How to stop micro-numbers in headings
            Artlandish Level 1

Answers to your questions:

What is the origin of these Word files, I mean did you or a coworker create them, did you receive them from an author/editor, download them or were they exported from another program like Indesign, Framemaker, Quark or some other page layout or composition program?

The problem has plagued many files from different sources, but all ending up as Word files exported to PDF. In this current project, the workflow was:

1. Receive Word document from client.
            2. Export to ASCII.txt to remove all formatting.
            3. Bring into a Word template and format with styles.
            4. Export to PDF with the accessibility/tags box checked.

The same Word file exported from my 508 technician's computer doesn't have the tiny numbers, but when exported from my computer, the tiny numbers are added.

Did you start receiving files from a new source or did you change your workflow around the time the problem started?

When the files are created did you copy and paste information from a Content Management System, online or other source ?

We receive lots of files each week from all over the place so we have many workflows.

This is a problem strictly with Word files. I can't determine any pattern to the problem: some files are from clients, other started from scratch on my computer. Sometimes I'll get the little numbers when the PDF is made, other times I don't.

Could they have started with an HTML or XML file and somehow those codes are in the Word document albeit invisible?

No, none of these files were in HTML, XML, or any other ML.

Do the numbers follow a pattern -- for example, do all the Heading 1s have 1B, all the Heading 2s have 2B or something like that?

Yes, there's a definite pattern in the numbering, beginning with the first heading.

0B (Heading 1)

1B (Heading 2)

2B (Heading 2)

Can you upload one of the Word files to an ftp site or send them to me at ...

No, this is proprietary info owned by my clients (federal govt agency and 2 major corporations who have more lawyers than I can afford to fight!). And I can't seem to find any samples that aren't proprietary. If i do, I'll upload it.

Thanks for your help!