5 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2013 9:55 AM by MindlitMedia

Photoshop to InDesign - What works?  What should be done in InDesign versus Photoshop?

MindlitMedia

Hello!

I have been using Photoshop for years, and before very recently any work I've ever done started in Photoshop - whether it be a logo or newsletter layout.  From there I learn whichever tricks I need to for whatever the customer has asked - ie: If it's a logo that needs to be huge for a banner - I break it down piece by piece in photoshop - bring it in to Illustrator and save it as the printer wants it...  Two months ago, I got a job laying out newspapers which I've been doing on InDesign -as I learn it on the go...  I do alot of the ads in Photoshop now, because I feel like I can make better designs in it, then drag the resulting 300ppi jpeg into the InDesign layout.

1. What would be better about creating ads in InDesign over Photshop?

2. Has anyone ever made full pages in Photoshop and then drag the resulting jpeg into InDesign - and what were the results

3. Has anyone ever done a newspaper/magazine page-by-page in Photoshop, saved each as PDF, then combined?  What were the results?

3. Does there exist there a quick-guide for InDesign whicch gives rules-of-thumb for printing on different paper qualities?  For instance, I'm looking for general rules for newsprint layouts/designs - how big text must be, image size minimums, etc.?

Thanks!!!

• 1. Re: Photoshop to InDesign - What works?  What should be done in InDesign versus Photoshop?
          John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just about every scenario you describe involves setting type in Photoshop and subsequently rasterizing it. That constitutes a major flaw in your workflow. For setting paragraphical type and manipulating stories, Photoshop is simply the wrong tool. It also sounds like you're getting away with designing your ads entirely in Photoshop, (and porting them as JPEG's too!), but if you did one for which I was paying, I'd know, and I'd reject it.

Vector first.

Raster when necessary.

Period.

• 2. Re: Photoshop to InDesign - What works?  What should be done in InDesign versus Photoshop?
            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

MindlitMedia wrote:

I do alot of the ads in Photoshop now, because I feel like I can make better designs in it, then drag the resulting 300ppi jpeg into the InDesign layout.

It's not the software that makes better designs - it's you!

Your adverts are only 1 dimensional - meaning that that advert can only be purposed for that layout and that size and isn't that flexible to work with.

If you use CMYK in Photoshop, and use 100% black that would be better for Newspapers.

Newspapers have a lower ink limit because it's a pourous paper, meaning the more ink you use the longer it takes to dry, or possibly smudge as there isn't enough soakage in the paper to absorb all the ink.

300 PPI images in JPEG possibly cause the ink limit to be too high for newspapers. But I think that the newspapers would run your final files through a RIP to unsatuarte all the colours.

Use CMYK in PHotoshop - and use Text Layers, Vector Shapes, and Vector Masks. Be wary of Ink Limits.

Also - save the resulting file as a Photoshop Editable PDF - rather than JPG.

Your results will be much more pleasing.

MindlitMedia wrote:

1. What would be better about creating ads in InDesign over Photshop?

InDesign has the ability to use Vector and Raster, and doesn't flatten everything into Raster like you see with a JPEG.

Ultimately, Illustrator would be best for creating the adverts, and place an .ai with pdf compatible file into InDesign.

But I create adverts in InDesign all the time - huge time saver. I only have repeat adverts etc. done in Illustrator.

One off adverts I do in InDesign.

On another note - Photoshop is not a page layout program - it's photo editing software - it should be used for editing photogrpahs - and other Bitmap images - but it shouldn't be used to layout adverts and such things.

2. Has anyone ever made full pages in Photoshop and then drag the resulting jpeg into InDesign - and what were the results

NEVER - Photoshop is not a Page Layout Tool - far more controls in InDesign or Illustrator for this sort of thing.

Photoshop is a photo editing software.

3. Has anyone ever done a newspaper/magazine page-by-page in Photoshop, saved each as PDF, then combined?  What were the results?

I've seen it before - be prepared for a headache say if someone wants to take out a paragraph in a 20 page article, open all the articles and edit the page endings???

Madness - don't do it - it's not worth your while  - InDesign is the Page Layout Tool

4. Does there exist there a quick-guide for InDesign whicch gives rules-of-thumb for printing on different paper qualities?  For instance, I'm looking for general rules for newsprint layouts/designs - how big text must be, image size minimums, etc.?

This maybe

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/print/creative-suite-printing-guide.html

• 3. Re: Photoshop to InDesign - What works?  What should be done in InDesign versus Photoshop?
              SteveE91

Must agree with John.

You are ok to do complex work in Photoshop but your design must be structured in InDesign.

• 4. Re: Photoshop to InDesign - What works?  What should be done in InDesign versus Photoshop?
                MindlitMedia Level 1

Yeah, there's no question I need to learn InDesign better - I was handed because "I'm computery" a long running layout project from a designer who moved on immediately without notice...  All I've ever worked in is Photoshop, (image touchups, storyboards, stop-animation, etc.) and unfortunately I don't have the time to course-up on InDesign - trying to pick it up as I go - so I'm using Photoshop as a bridge until I know InDesign fully.  I've been on YouTube alot watching how-tos and have picked up a few books, but I find that Discussions are most helpful.  I'm looking for tips that'll help me through this period - eventually I'll laugh at how I'm starting out, but for now, I'm under deadlines and the Photoshop ads have been holding up against all of the InDesign ads printwise.  Of course I realize that knowing InDesign will make my life easier - I guess I'm hoping for someone who's been thrown into the fire can give me some pointers - and my questions reflect what I can handle learning-wise to this point as I'm under fast deadlines all-of-a-sudden.  I have 5 days to do 48 pages - 40+ ads + content with no assistance...  When I was handed the job, the old ads had many layers upon layers of changes which were turned off but still on the page, some were screwed around with, many were incomplete and I had 3 days to do the same size paper - so I 300ppi'd ALL the ads from a high quality PDF copy of the paper and dropped them in one by one and have been replaing one by one in my "free time."  I'm sure alot of people who'd answer questions in these disussions took the proper route to learning InDesign - hoping people will have some pointers for someone like myself who's been thrown into layout, can learn on the go.  ANY tiips, quick-guides I may not know about, anything really...  I appreciate the time you took to answer @John Mensinger - hopefully if you ever need ad from me I'll have learned InDesign by then!  Hahahaha!  Thanks for everyone's patience!

• 5. Re: Photoshop to InDesign - What works?  What should be done in InDesign versus Photoshop?
                  MindlitMedia Level 1

Would the printer's settings on the exported pdf (print file) change or override whatever the jpeg images would do to draw more ink?  I'd figured, not knowing anyhting, that the pdf settings presented each page as one image, images and text being printed as a whole image rather than a ccollection of many and some text.  Show's you how little I've thought about this before a few weeks ago!