4 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2013 4:23 PM by Jim_Simon

Yet another disk setup question

YIMVideo

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I am confused on a couple of points & need some direction on disk setup. I have just ordered a PC laptop that has a 256gb ssd msata + two other 256mb ssds & a removable 7200rpm 750gb drive in the optical drive slot. So I will, in effect, have four disks (3 - 256gb ssds & 1 - 7200rpm HD). I know the general concepts between dedicating different disks to OS / programs, scratch disk, render drive, & media, but after reading through Adobe's suggestions, Premiere manuals, and forums, I am not clear on which assets can be placed on the removeable drive & what asset I can allocate to the 7200rpm drive to optimize editing & rendering speed for the overall disk setup? The Premiere manuals that I have read all say not to place the scratch files on a removeable drive, & of course I wouldn't use the removeable drive for OS & programs -- that leaves render or media for the 7200rpm drive. Which would be best?

• 1. Re: Yet another disk setup question
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Here's what I'd do:

256GB - OS/Programs

256GB - Projects/Cache

256GB - Exports

750GB - Media

(Plus pick up an external for backups.)

• 2. Re: Yet another disk setup question
            Harm Millaard Level 7

C: SSD for OS, programs & pagefile

D: SSD for media cache & renders

E: SSD for projects

F: HDD for media and exports, so long as it is (e)SATA or USB3.

In contrast to Jim, I advise media and exports on the same HDD, since export times are hardly ever critical in disk usage. That allows separating projects and media cache and renders to separate drives, giving better responsiveness during editing.

Exports? Well, how many hours do you spend editing an average project, one week, longer? How big are your average exports, 25 GB or smaller? Let's say they are on average 25 GB. That is equal to one fully filled BDR. That takes less than 5 minutes to write on a single disk. How does that compare to the week or more spent on editing? Writing the same 25 GB to a SSD or raid0 would take less than 3 minutes, so you gain 2 whole minutes. But you run the risk of losing your precious export file with a raid0 and lose the SSD for other purposes. For what? A lousy two minutes gain. The transcoding time will be vastly longer, maybe one hour if you are lucky.

I would keep it simple, and put them on the media drive. Despite having a blindingly fast raid array with 3.4+ GB/s and 18 TB space, I export to a slow 150 MB/s single disk.

• 3. Re: Yet another disk setup question
              YIMVideo Level 1

Thank you so much guys. I can see the benefits of your disk setups. I don't know if it changes anything (probably not), but maybe I should give a little more info on how this computer will be used.

This laptop be be dedicated to video editing only with Premiere (currently Pro CS6), and the associated programs for transcoding, export, etc. I use all Adobe -- I'm a Creative Cloud member so I always have access to all of the most recent Adobe programs that I use. No email, no games, etc, only video editing.

I am a wedding videographer & this laptop's purpose is for onsite editing at weddings. "Same-day edits" are popular with many of our brides. A same-day edit is composed with some previously filmed clips, music tracks, and off camera audio, together with scenes from the wedding mixed in. These same-day edits are shown to guests at the reception with a HD projector on a 4.5' x 8' screen. In many cases we may be expected to complete the edit & present it within an hour of the wedding's conclusion. The deadlines are extremely tight & if we have any type of delay, or difficulty, we are left with a room full of people staring at an eight-foot screen, and a very unhappy newly married couple (have you guys seen Bridezilla?). These same day edit videos are shot in 24fps 1080p & the final edited video is typically anywhere from 5 - 15 minutes in length.

Considering the above conditions, what is most important to us in our video editing is speed & dependability. If the edited video will not play smoothly at full resolution from the Premiere timeline (I'm hoping it will with this rig), then we need the fastest transcode we can possibly get so we can play the video from Quicktime, or burn a Blu-ray.

Considering our specialized needs does the above change your recommendations in any way? What else do we need to consider in our workflow to get a ten-minute 24f 1080p video ready to show ASAP?

• 4. Re: Yet another disk setup question
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Considering our specialized needs does the above change your recommendations in any way?

Not mine.

As an aside, you could just render the PP sequence to ensure smooth playback, then use it's Cinema display mode (CTRL+`) to go full screen without GUI.  The spacebar will still start and stop playback.  Hook up the computer to projector and speakers and you're golden.