7 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2013 12:43 PM by Josh_Corey

drop-down fields

rastts

Sometimes the users filling out a form can’t use the drop-down fields. 

Also, user's have noticed that after you select an option from a drop-down there is no ability to 'un-select' it. I am thinking the only possibility is to add a blank line in the drop-downs.

How do we resolve this?

Thanks!

Rosa

• 1. Re: drop-down fields
          Josh_Corey Adobe Employee

Are users filling out the form on the web, or a PDF?  If it is the PDF make sure that they are using Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat.  If they are filling out the form online, what web browser and operating system are they using?  The drop-downs should work in any supported browser and Acrobat or Reader.

In order to clear the selection from a drop down in the Web/HTML form, there is always a "blank" item at the top of the drop-down users can select to clear their selection, you don't need to do anything special authoring the fields.  For PDF there isn't a blank selection.

Thanks,

Josh

FormsCentral Team

• 2. Re: drop-down fields
            rastts Level 1

The users are filling out the PDF using Adobe reader.

Thanks!

Rosa

• 3. Re: drop-down fields

I'd be curious to learn more about the drop-downs not working for them then, what is their experience?  The more info we can collect about platform and Reader version the better we can figure it out.

You could add another item to the dropdown such as "None of the above" users could use to not select what they had previously.  You could also edit the form in Acrobat and add a button to "Reset Form Fields" that would reset all fields, you would have to "Save a Copy" first and edit that copy which has the security removed, you would then want to Reader Enable the PDF form Form Fill in.  Let me know if you are interested in more details about editing the FormsCentral PDF.

Thanks,

Josh

• 4. Re: drop-down fields
                rastts Level 1

For the forms being filled out in Adobe Reader and Acrobat users have reported the drop down's not working after they have inserted data into the forms.

Is there any way of preventing this from happening?

Thanks!

Rosa

• 5. Re: drop-down fields

I am sorry I didn't see your response for days. 

Can you tell me more information about what "not working" means?  Drop down menu's should and do as far as I know work as long as users are filling out the form in Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat.

Almost all such issues are related to using another PDF viewer, sometimes someone things that they are using Adobe Acrobat since they have it installed, but "Preview" is set as the default and they were not aware. 

If there is an issue filling out these forms in Adobe Reader/Acrobat we certainly want to figure it out so any more information you have would be great.

Thanks,

Josh

• 6. Re: drop-down fields
                    rastts Level 1

The users are using Adobe and have simply said that in the middle of filling out the form, the drop down selection will no longer work, so they have to close the form and re open it again to fill out.

Thanks!

Rosa

• 7. Re: drop-down fields

Hi Rosa;

When you say it no longer works, I am guessing you mean that they open the PDF in Adobe Reader or Acrobat and are able to start filling out the form, clicking on a drop down menu exposes the drop down with the choices, then at some point those drop down menu's when clicked no longer expand to show the choices.  Is that correct?

Can you send me a copy of the PDF to investigate at jcorey@adobe.com

Thanks,

Josh