6 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2013 8:10 PM by david manley

How to back up HDV to tape on a Mac?

david manley Level 1

I've asked this question before, and I keep checking FAC discussions, but have found no advice germane to my situation.  Which is; once I've finished editing a a 2-cam project (HDV and AVCHD), have done all the color correction, audio equalization, etc, I need to clear my hard drive(s) for the incoming projects. But would like to save the edited work for future highlights project during a downtime. Easier to re-capture from tape than from dvd. I'm editing on Premier Pro CS5.5 and working on MAC 10.7. I have read the manual and know that one can't back up HD to tape on a mac...export to tape is greyed out. Just wondered if wiser heads than mine had a similar situation and solution.

• 1. Re: How to back up HDV to tape on a Mac?
          joe bloe premiere Level 5

Easier to re-capture from tape than from dvd.

It's even easier to restore archived files.

For most, the preferred method of backup / archive is by file(s).

Internal HD / external HD / DVD or Blu-ray / tape drive,

or combinations of two or more of these options.

Export a lossless encoded final for archive, and include all of

your original media files (whether imported or captured).

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to back up HDV to tape on a Mac?
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I second Joe's suggestion.  Keep everything backup on on an external hard drive.

• 3. Re: How to back up HDV to tape on a Mac?
              Paul Mc Bride Level 1
              But would like to save the edited work for future highlights project

I would have a look at the options with the Project Manager.

There are various ways in which you can save your work/project using this facility and recall it at a later date

for further editing/alterations etc.

Google 'using the project manager in premiere pro' for a selection of ideas tutorials.

• 4. Re: How to back up HDV to tape on a Mac?
                david manley Level 1

Thank you, gentlemen. The clear answer is external hard drive.. And I do like Project Manager's function "collect files and move to a new location." Have just started using that for those highlight projects I want to get back to. I just now need to buy another ext. drive. Thanks again.

• 5. Re: How to back up HDV to tape on a Mac?
                  SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

Hi David,

Sounds like you have decided to archive video clips to drives, but just wanted to add that if you exported back to HDV tape, the HDV compression is very lossy, so you are way better off to use ProRes or Avid DNxHD codec or similar and keep an edit-master quality file for later repurposing. And no down time to re-capture either! Years ago, when drives were small and expensive, I sent completed edits back to miniDV or DVCAM masters. I quit that some years back and it's all on drives now.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

• 6. Re: How to back up HDV to tape on a Mac?
                    david manley Level 1

Jeff, thanks for your comments. I'm transitioning. Years ago Larry Jordan told me to back up to whatever medium I downloaded from, which, back in those days, was miniDV. So, QED, back up to tape. Now that I've progressed to HDV and/or SD card, and have switched to Premium Pro, I need to move on. So for now it's going to be hard drives and project manager. QED.

Thanks