11 Replies Latest reply: May 17, 2013 11:36 AM by *Photonic RSS

How to copy Actions over to CS6?

*Photonic Community Member

I just upgraded from Photoshop CS5.1 to CS6. I used the "copy presets" option during the install of CS6, which worked great for everything except my CS5.1 Actions. Is there a way to easily copy over my user-installed actions from CS5.1 to CS6? Thanks.

• 1. Re: How to copy Actions over to CS6?
          Simon_P1 Community Member

You need to locate them in CS5.1 (whereever you saved them to) and either copy them into the CS6 actions folder or to a designated folder on your computer.

For Windows it is usually  -

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Presets

And or

64 bit.. C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)/Presets

32 bit... C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6/Presets

Or you can load them from any folder on your computer.

Then load them from the actions pallet menu.

Don't know about Mac

• 2. Re: How to copy Actions over to CS6?

Thanks, but I have a Mac. Looks like it's not going to be "easy," as it was with the keyboard shortcuts. I just selected my previously saved shortcuts in CS5.1 from the drop-down menu in CS6's keyboard shortcut window. I was relieved find it there.

Times like this I wish Adobe hadn't killed the Photoshop Mac Discussion forum.

• 4. Re: How to copy Actions over to CS6?
              vinsolo Community Member

I think Chris Cox has answered this many times.

I believe if you would search the forums and check thru those posted regarding this topic, by Chris Cox if possible, of course, that you will find the answer.

I recall that it is quite simple. I hesitate to tell you as I may say something incorrect.

I would hold off just copying these things instinctively.

vince

Message was edited by: vinsolo

• 5. Re: How to copy Actions over to CS6?
                vinsolo Community Member

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/search/index.cfm?cat=support&term=importing%20old%20actions%2 0into%20new%20version&loc=en_US&self=0&lr=en_US&product=photoshop

I believe you can copy all the actions in cs5 folder > presets > actions  to the CS6 folder > presets > actions folder. You will then use the drop down menu in the ACTIONS panel to activate those that you wish to use.

Can't find Chris Cox posts. He is employee and maybe these are not available.

good luck,

vince

• 6. Re: How to copy Actions over to CS6?

vinsolo wrote:

I think Chris Cox has answered this many times.

I believe if you would search the forums and check thru those posted regarding this topic, by Chris, of course, that you will find the answer.

I recall that it is quite simple. I hesitate to tell you as I may something incorrect.

I would hold off just copying things instinctively.

vince

When I first typed-out the question on the forum page, an automatic search was done -- nada. So I posted the question.

"I would hold off copying things..."

Well, Chris gave me some folder locations, but are they not for copying actions too? Now I'm totally confused.

• 7. Re: How to copy Actions over to CS6?

vinsolo wrote:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/search/index.cfm?cat=support&term=importi ng%20old%20actions%20into%20new%20version&loc=en_US&self=0&lr=en_US&pr oduct=photoshop

I believe you can copy all the actions in cs5 folder > presets > actions  to the CS6 folder > presets > actions folder. You will then use the drop down menu in the ACTIONS panel to activate those that you wish to use.

Can't find Chris Cox posts. He is employee and maybe these are not available.

good luck,

vince

Thanks Vince. That's helpful. I will give it a try.

• 8. Re: How to copy Actions over to CS6?
                      PECourtejoie CommunityMVP

Hello, and welcome to the forums!

One question: were the actions saved on your hard drive, or are they just loaded in the action panel?

In 5.1, select ane Action Set.  In the Action panel's flyout menu, select "Save actions..." and save them to the default location (given in the previous help document) (pay attention that on mountain lion, your library directory is invisible if you do not hold ALT)

Do this for all sets.

Now, in CS6, do Edit>Presets>Migrate presets. Is should detect and import them. Restart Photoshop, and your actions should be there. (If not, select load actions, and navigate to the 5.1 folder where you saved them)

Photoshop CC does not require a restart, and can locate more presets...

• 9. Re: How to copy Actions over to CS6?

PECourtejoie wrote:

Hello, and welcome to the forums!

One question: were the actions saved on your hard drive, or are they just loaded in the action panel?

In 5.1, select ane Action Set.  In the Action panel's flyout menu, select "Save actions..." and save them to the default location (given in the previous help document) (pay attention that on mountain lion, your library directory is invisible if you do not hold ALT)

Do this for all sets.

Now, in CS6, do Edit>Presets>Migrate presets. Is should detect and import them. Restart Photoshop, and your actions should be there. (If not, select load actions, and navigate to the 5.1 folder where you saved them)

Photoshop CC does not require a restart, and can locate more presets...

Thanks Pierre-Etienne. To answer your question to me, yes, I did save my user-installed actions to my hard drive, which had been loaded over to my Actions Panel in 5.1. Followed your instructions and all is now fine. Very helpful -- good to know about the various presets, actions, etc., and where they are kept in case of problems.

FYI: I enjoyed your appearance on the G+ Photoshop Show (#23) a few weeks ago. Very informative -- I took notes. Hope you can appear again in the near future. I felt you had just begun to scratch the surface of the show's topic, "Photoshop problem solutions and performance settings."

• 10. Re: How to copy Actions over to CS6?
                          PECourtejoie CommunityMVP

Merci for the kudos!

I have to say that, given the schedule for me (2AM) and the relatively short amount of time to cover all that can be said on the topic, I'd like to do it record it once again, and edit out my "eems".

Also, there are very good guides written by the Photoshop team, and there are as well many user cases, my idea is rather to point out the audience where they can find information that is relevant to them.

That said, the Photoshop Show is a stunning idea, it's my "performance" that I feel could have been better.

• 11. Re: How to copy Actions over to CS6?

Yes, there are lots of "sources" of info on Photoshop, but the style of informal delivery common to the Photoshop Show and others like it is very appealing to many folks. It' fun and I can "hear" the technical stuff better.

I agree that it must be a challenge to make a focused presentation within a group of folks (panelists) that tend not to be focused. I get frustrated at times when the conversation of the group wanders away from the fantastic information being delivered by the guest speaker, as it did several times during your presentation.

Nevertheless, I look forward to the show every week. Some are excellent, others are marginal. Yours was indeed excellent. Did I hear someone mention an Academy Award nomination?