10 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2013 9:24 PM by the_wine_snob

Movies from Photos

bobbiedompe

I want to make movies from my photographs, NOT videos.  Does Premier Elements 11 support this?  I have a free trial, but it is not letting me make instant movies from my album of photographs.

• 1. Re: Movies from Photos
          the_wine_snob Level 9

You can create a video, and then send the file out to a service that can reverse-telecine it to film. What format film are you thinking about?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Movies from Photos
            A.T. Romano Level 7

bobbiedompe

Is your Premiere Elements 11 running on Windows or Mac (including 32 or 64 bit)?

Do you have Photoshop Elements 11 as well as Premiere Elements 11? Do you intend to make your slideshow/movie just in Premiere Elements using its Elements Organizer to establish these albums to be used in Premiere Elements/Instant Movie feature or are you intergrating Photoshop Elements 11 (slideshow creation) and Premiere Elements 11/Instant Movie Feature burn to DVD?

Also, what is your intended export for this slideshow movie? DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, Blu-ray Disc Format on Blu-ray Disc, or other?

How many photos do you have and what are their size (pixel dimensions, width x height in pixels)?

In what way are you being prevented from creating your Instant Movie? Are you getting error messages or something else?

Let us start here and then decide what next. I will run through the process for the workflow you described and to try to determine what problems you may be encountering.

But the answers will be in the details that you present.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Movies from Photos
              bobbiedompe Level 1

I have been successfully using Windows Live Movie Maker.  (Answer to first question...Windows)  I am trying to decide if I want to upgrade to Premier 11 as I currently have Elements 7.  If I cannot easily make movies from the album organizer to put on a DVD Disc or upload to You Tube, like I can in Windows Live, then I see no reason to upgrade.  In the trial version, I get the message something like "not supported".  I am thinking it only because I have the trial version, but am not sure.  Why can't someone just tell me if I can make movies from my photo album and be able to transfer to a DVD in Premier 11 similar to Windows Live?  I guess I am not asking the right question?  I do appreciate your response, I truly do.

• 4. Re: Movies from Photos
                A.T. Romano Level 7

bobbiedompe

I did not see Hunt's reply until after I had posted earlier (post #2). Based on his reply, I suspect that he and I are interpreting your question differently.

For now I will continue along with my interpretation of your question until you tell me that I have misinterpreted your question.

I have done a run through with a few photos

a. placed them in an Album in the Elements Organizer

b. imported the selected photos in the Album with the command "Edit with Premiere Elements Editor"

c. to the photos automatically placed on the Timeline (Expert view), applied Instant Movie Theme (Instant Movie tab at bottom of Premiere Elements 11 interface)

d. followed the instructions from there...did include rendering the Instant Movie Timeline before viewing in the Edit Mode monitor.

I could also take the Instant Movie apart by right clicking it on the Timeline and selecting Break Apart InstantMovie command.

Where along that process did the feature not work for you?

The Instant Movie feature appears to be a resource demanding feature. I am wondering about your computer resources and the sizing of those photos as well as how many you put into the Instant Movie feature. You may have to resize those photos. But, as I said, the answers will be in the details that you present.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Movies from Photos
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

bobiedompe

The trial version should not be an issue.

You should be able to do all that you said you want to do with Premiere Elements 11, but there are some considerations, like all programs.

Premiere Elements 11 tryout is the full program EXCEPT you need to download certain CONTENT from within the opened project. What Instant Movie theme did you select? Did it have a blue ban at its right top corner? If so, that means it is one of those options that needs to be downloaded so that you can use that theme. That happens to all, those trying the program or who have purchased.

If you can achieve your goal with Premiere Elements 7, you can with Premiere Elements 11 unless there is a particular Instant Movie Theme  that is not in the other. And, the theme becomes a must have factor.

Windows Live Movie Maker and Premiere Elements (any version) are two different programs often with different feature sets, typically WLMM with less features but claimed to be easier to use.. In my first response to your question, I took the time to go through the process to outline the steps that you would be expected to follow in Premiere Elements 11 to achieve your task. I do not see much different in what I outlined from what you have probably already experienced with Premiere Elements 7 with this goal.

If you could tell me more about this "not supported" message, I will work with you to figure out what needs resolution. I would go into the importance of project preset and photo sizing in greater detail, but, if you have been working with Premiere Elements 7, you have been there and done that. However, as you can see there is a major interface change in Premiere Elements 11 as compared to prior versions. Setting of the project preset has been taken over by the program and sometimes it is necessary to step in and manually set the project preset. All learning curve details.

Please let us know how we can help. We will not give up until we resolve the issue or you tell us "enough".

Looking forward to the opportunity to help you resolve your Premiere Elements 11 tryout issue.

I am not an employee of Adobe. I am just a user of the program (several versions including version 7).

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Movies from Photos
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

You could be correct. When I saw

I want to make movies from my photographs, NOT videos.

I assumed that the OP wanted to make "movies," i.e. film, and NOT videos. It could well be that the intention is to create videos, but only from Still Images, with no video content IN the resulatant videos - no film involved.

Clarification on the desired output will determine exactly what instructions are offered.

If the output will be a video, and not a film, then PrE can do that from Still Images. There are several possibilities, such as using the Photoshop Elements Organizer, but it can also be done easily with ONLY PrE. I create videos from Still Images in PrE and also PrPro, and do not have PSE in the mix.

I suspect that you are correct, and I read the request incorrectly.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Movies from Photos
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Bobbie,

As I grew up in an era when "movies" WERE film, and video was in its infancy (no digital even thought of, and video was 2" tape, or direct feed to TV), I think that I might have been incorrect in how I read your request.

To assist both me, and ATR, can you define what you want for your final, output material - physical film for projection, or video from Still Images only? If video, how do you plan on delivering your final output - DVD, BD (Blu-ray Disc), YouTube, etc.?

Thank you,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Movies from Photos
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

We have gotten a reply from bobiedompe, and the reply seems to have confirmed by interpretation of the issue. My thoughts on this thread question are compiled in post 4 and 5 and are awaiting a reply from bobiedompe after bobiedompe has read my two replies and lets us know go or no go on furthering the discussions hopefully to a successful conclusion.

I hope the you and I and others can work together to get this Premiere Elements 11 tryout project moving forward and defining the reasons for the problem.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Movies from Photos
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

From bobiedompe post #3

I have been successfully using Windows Live Movie Maker.  (Answer to first question...Windows)  I am trying to decide if I want to upgrade to Premier 11 as I currently have Elements 7.  If I cannot easily make movies from the album organizer to put on a DVD Disc or upload to You Tube, like I can in Windows Live, then I see no reason to upgrade.  In the trial version, I get the message something like "not supported".  I am thinking it only because I have the trial version, but am not sure.  Why can't someone just tell me if I can make movies from my photo album and be able to transfer to a DVD in Premier 11 similar to Windows Live?  I guess I am not asking the right question?  I do appreciate your response, I truly do.

ATR

• 10. Re: Movies from Photos
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Then it looks like "movies" = videos, but just from Still Images.

You were correct, and I was wrong in the interpretation of Bobbie's desires. The "movies" aspect, along with "not videos" threw me. Guess it was just a frame of reference.

Hunt