5 Replies Latest reply: May 17, 2013 5:53 AM by SteveE91 RSS

Another question about CSV2Tables importing into InDesign

SteveE91

Hi,

Thanks for the help yesterday regarding the line breaks - it worked like a charm.

Stuck with a new conundrum.. One of the tables, when CSV2Tables is ran creates a table that is too long and flows way off the page.

Is there a setting to make sure that if a table hits a certain length, or certain point on a page that it creates a new row on the next page and continues there?

If not, is there any other type of solution or workaround that I can use for importing tables of data that end up too long for one page?

• 1. Re: Another question about CSV2Tables importing into InDesign
          SteveE91 Community Member

Also, is there a way of turning automatic hyphenation off?

I never ever ever ever need hyphenation, and going through tables and tables deselecting it is a tiring process.

• 2. Re: Another question about CSV2Tables importing into InDesign
            Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Turning off hypheantion is easy. Disable it in your paragraph styles...

Not sure what to tell you about the table running long. Is it contained in a text frame? Are you using Data Merge to do this, or placing the table itself? Maybe CSV2Tables is some sort of plugin? If I understood the process a bit better I might have a better idea how to work around the problem.

• 3. Re: Another question about CSV2Tables importing into InDesign

Thanks, I'm still not all that familiar with the workspace in InDesign so I'd much rather ask and get the correct answer rather than trawling through menu's.

Re the table, it is contained in a text frame. Instead of using data merge, I am using CSV2Tables (it is a third party jsx script) which automatically populates tables using a Data Merge 'data source'.

I begin with a basic table, 2 columns and one row. Then I select my data source, insert a data tag into each of the cells, select the entire row and run the script. It generates a table, filling up with info from the external sheet.

Start off with this:

ss1.JPG

End up with this:

ss2.JPG

As you can see, it runs off the page. Wondered whether it would be possible to set some sort of limit that when it hits, or sees that the next row will not fit in the remaining space, it creates the next row on the following page and continues.

• 4. Re: Another question about CSV2Tables importing into InDesign
                Peter Spier CommunityMVP

I'm not familiar withthe script, so I'm kind of guessing at waht's happeing here.

Is your text frame pre-sized to fill the page, or set to auto-expand (a feature I frankly never bothered to learn about because I think it's a bad idea)? If set to auto-expand, or if the script defines the size of the text frame, I think you need to either look a the frame options to limit the height to the bottom margin, or check with the script provider to see if they can modifiy the script to limit the frame to the bottm margin and send excess rows into overset (or add pages).

• 5. Re: Another question about CSV2Tables importing into InDesign

I have set each of the frames to fill the designated area I want the content in, leaving enough space for page number, footer and margin. The script seems to populate the entire table but if it doesn't fit in the text frame then it just brings up the '+' warning me of the overset. After you mentioned auto-expand I did some Googling which led me to an adobe post explaining how to set overflow from one text frame to another on a separate page.

I trunacated the table, shrank the text frames and ran the script again. Miraculously, it picked up exactly what I was after and started a new row on a new page where it could fit.

I'm not great with the ins and outs of InDesign at all, and have only used it so far to create basic documents.. learning as I go.

Thanks again for the help. No doubt I will be posting something later today, this project I am working on keeps throwing up roadblocks.