19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2007 1:12 AM by Steveorevo

New version of Director?

aliseghat
      Don t Adobe want make and provide new version of Director?
        • 2. Re: New version of Director?
          Aquilonian
          3D for flash, filters for Director...
          Adobe dont know what it wants
          • 3. Re: New version of Director?
            Level 7
            aliseghat wrote:

> Don t Adobe want make and provide new version of Director?

Hi,

Adobe are working on Director 11. You can see discussions about the D11
            sneak peak at Max earlier this month.

Adobe inherited a product that was given little attention by Macromedia
            since the last update back in 2004. Even prior to MX 2004, some areas of
            the product / features were being neglected. So, Adobe have found that
            it's been a huge task to get Director back on track. They are putting
            resources into it. However, Director is very far behind where it should
            be and will take Adobe at least 2 versions to get it to the right
            level. D11 will hopefully be a starting point. Adobe have started
            talking about Director 12.

regards
            Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
            http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
            http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
            email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au

• 4. Re: New version of Director?
              aliseghat Level 1
              thanks
              • 5. Re: New version of Director?
                Romphotog
                quote:

Originally posted by: Aquilonian
                3D for flash, filters for Director...
                Adobe dont know what it wants

Director's direction? Let's stop kidding ourselves, Director is directionless. Director has been neglected and pushed aside since the dot.com bust. Orgs such as the NYNMA which promoted Director in schools collapsed. No one is hiring Director workers, no one is making Shockwave; no one has even heard of it besides the old geezers who've been using the WWW since '92. In fact, Shockwave has dropped from 65% of the browser install base to 50% while Flash is at 98%.
                Going from Lingo to JS and fantasizing about 3D hasnt helped.
                What happened to exporting as a Java applet and to the multi-user server?
                For 3x the price of Flash I want to atleast export in the most popular plug-in on the net. If software such as Swish can do it, why not Director?
                It's time to migrate to the much cheaper and more popular Flash.

• 6. New version of Director?
                  Romeo.Marian Level 1
                  quote:

Originally posted by: Romphotog

Director's direction? Let's stop kidding ourselves, Director is directionless. Director has been neglected and pushed aside since the dot.com bust. Orgs such as the NYNMA which promoted Director in schools collapsed. No one is hiring Director workers, no one is making Shockwave; no one has even heard of it besides the old geezers who've been using the WWW since '92. In fact, Shockwave has dropped from 65% of the browser install base to 50% while Flash is at 98%.

You're totally wrong.
                  Shockwave 3D is the Web 3D leader by far.
                  http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=phosphor
                  http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=quake+3+online
                  http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=warcraft+reloaded
                  http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sherwood
                  just to mention few titles.
                  Java (3D) is almost dead and the rest of competitors don't count.
                  The shockwave plugin popularity is somewhere around 58-62%.

• 7. Re: New version of Director?
                    Romphotog Level 1
                    quote:

Originally posted by: Romeo.Marian

You're totally wrong.
                    Shockwave 3D is the Web 3D leader by far.
                    Java (3D) is almost dead and the rest of competitors don't count.
                    The shockwave plugin popularity is somewhere around 58-62%.

well, if no one besides Director makes 3D for the web, then yes it's the leader by default... proves nothing.
                    I am not a fan of Java. No one makes Applets any more, and Director dropped it 5 years ago.
                    ok, so shockwave is at 60% not 50%, big deal, no one cares for it. Why pay $1k for software if you cant get hired.
                    How much Director work is there compared to Flash?
                    • 8. Re: New version of Director?
                      wgb14 Level 1
                      Director is far more powerfull tool than flash. What you can do with director in 2 simple steps you need 5 steps in flash. The only reason that director failed is becuase the market that was aimed for no longer exists (CDs DVDs etc). But still this doesn't invalides it as an extremely powerful and useful tool. However there is a major area in which director failed under the leadership of Macromedia (only becuase of itshigh price) and there is still a high potential for it.... Education. Director can be a valuable tool for researchers and students in constructing systems that can take months of development with other tools. I only hope Adobe will not do the same mistake.............
                      • 9. Re: New version of Director?
                        Chunick Level 3
                        It's perfectly fine to have a negative view of Director, Romphotog. In fact, it's to be expected because the last few versions were so badly handled by Macromedia. What I find absolutely fascinating is the work that gets done by Director because for me it's more diverse than Flash; the developers and their projects are at a much higher calibre. Flash is more popular so many more people are using it than Director, but popularity has never equaled quality. Truth be told, I think it's amazing the stuff that flash developers design... usually for about 30 seconds... and after the visual 'wow' wears off, it's back to the question, 'but what can it really do?' and 'how well does it really perform?'... if you want 'pretty' and the immediate gratification of a visual feast for your brain then go with flash... it's good marketing... it's perfect for marketing... it's the popular choice... but it's superficial and that certainly does have it's place. It just doesn't hold it's weight when you really need to pull off stability, performance, interfacing with the OS and the like... But here's the funny thing, as more features are added to Flash such as 3D vectors and access to a bitmap's pixels then guess what it starts functioning more like?... Director. So, one day you just might find Director has reincarnated as Flash version 15 or 20... interesting idea, and probably a good place to leave my meandering thoughts.
                        • 10. Re: New version of Director?
                          budgiebird
                          I find it interesting that the fact there are no advertised jobs for Director becomes a reason not to use it. (No one is hiring Director workers, no one is making Shockwave; no one has even heard of it besides the old geezers who've been using the WWW since '92.)

All the jobs I have done in the last 10 years have never asked for Director but to the clients’ delight I have used my Director skills in every one. I have mimicked proposals for desktop applications, pda’s, touch screen applications and mobile phones. Why not Flash on a mobile? Because the mobile may require extra buttons not available now, also Flash does not necessarily give you access to the buttons that are available. There are major applications available on todays most popular mobiles that owe ALL their development and user testing to Director.

Director is very forgiving, you are able to make alterations on the fly, you can work with out a plan or a structure, you can watch designs evolve, throw sections of them away. Its like sitting with a sketchbook, you can doodle and create with great ease. None of my work is ever seen by the public, it has always been used in product development. I am able create little shockwave files of concepts and circulate them for comment and feedback very handy for building common vision,. I would be lost without Director, and have done very well by it (thank you Macromedia/Adobe).

Romphotog, Don’t be limited by what you see.
                          • 11. Re: New version of Director?
                            code1234
                            As a long time Director user, as well as a Flash user, I agree that Flash has some strengths for specific applications. My frustration with Flash has been that many times it seems to take twenty plus lines of lower-level code to do what can be done in Director with a single statement to change a single property. I waste a lot of time in the docs looking for the property only to find it doesn't exist. I'm hoping AS3 will be better, but haven't gotten into the new features much yet.

However, I've finally found something that finally gets me a little excited about Flash. Interestingly it doesn't come from Adobe. It's called Papervision3d, an open-source 3D engine for Flash. The first link below brings up a Wiki-style page. You can find an number of samples as well as FAQs and info.

http://wiki.papervision3d.org/index.php?title=Main_Page#Showcase

If you want to be "wowed" by content running in Flash 9 player, under the Showcase" section click on "demos" , and take a look at some of the samples.

The link below is a direct link to one of the samples-- a bump-mapped rhino model.

http://www.unitzeroone.com/papervision/bumpmapRhino/Main.html

I really hope Director 11 gives us MANY more 3D features (like bump mappiing, animated displacement mapping, revival of the Havok engine, native animated textures, morph mapping, animation lingo for key-frame style control over models, and ????). I'm thinking features equal to or surpassing the popular game engines (quake, far-cry, unreal, etc) with the ease of Director.

How cool would that be!
                            • 12. Re: New version of Director?
                              thismarty Level 1

Indeed.

The next time I have a client who needs a 100-polygon, rotating rhino, you can bet I'm reaching for Flash.

• 13. Re: New version of Director?
                                martingr Level 1

I attended a presentation for Flash developers yesterday & everyone was "ooh-aahing" about the possibilites
                                of future Flash players supporting 3d - something that Shockwave HAS SUPPORTED for YEARS - yes it's clunky
                                but that's only because they left it to rot on the vine - just imagine where DIrector & Shockwave would be now if it had been given the same (development) attention, nurturing & marketing support that has been given to Flash... never ceases to amaze me what a fancy name & clever marketing can achieve...(and how easily the masses can be fooled)...
                                • 14. Re: New version of Director?
                                  Aquilonian Level 1
                                  There are many 3d engines for flash besides papervision, some people can even code their own 3d as well, wich is very common in flash forums, like Adobe Max has show a quake engine all made in flash
                                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TKGNS1N1yo
                                  ... near to Director ALL of them are a joke.
                                  I dont know what Adobe thinks, i hope time will show some executives over there has some brain, because it seems they're choosing to not sell one product and instead cooperate with a buggy, slow, third class, made by a thing that was NOT designed to do it, version of what Director does
                                  As much as i dont like, if some day they add 3d acelleration for flash them maybe someone can code his own 3d engine that runs like a 32bit console game
                                  • 15. New version of Director?
                                    Chunick Level 3
                                    I dare someone to post a video on YouTube showing an 'amazing 3d engine built in Flash' that's really just one built in Director and have it state as much at the end of the video then show the best 3d stuff in flash in a side-by-side comparison with the best in Director.... that might generate some interest in Director and maybe bring some flash developers wasting their valuable time and talents over to the 'Dark (Director) Side'. ;-)
                                    • 16. Re: New version of Director?
                                      Aquilonian Level 1
                                      quote:

Originally posted by: Chunick
                                      I dare someone to post a video on YouTube showing an 'amazing 3d engine built in Flash' that's really just one built in Director and have it state as much at the end of the video then show the best 3d stuff in flash in a side-by-side comparison with the best in Director.... that might generate some interest in Director and maybe bring some flash developers wasting their valuable time and talents over to the 'Dark (Director) Side'. ;-)

Dont forget they are a joke today
                                      IF nothing change they will evolve with time

• 17. Re: New version of Director?
                                        VizFX76 Level 1
                                        Hi
                                        The announcement about Di11 at Adobe Max made me to open my eyes and I`ve started a mad searching about other tools for multimedia and gaming development (both online and offline).
                                        I had an enormous surprise. The development of the tools in this field made some impressive leaps forward in the last years.
                                        With this occasion I`ve found out why Tom Higgins left, just a matter of principles, respect for the community and devotement in developing the tool which isn`t anymore the politics at Adobe.
                                        If you don`t trust me take a look at Unity3D.
                                        And this isn`t the only serious developing tool which is emerging, how about Virtools, DX studio, Quest 3D, Blink 3D, Wirefusion, Expression Studio and so on. The list is huge and some of them are really powerful applications.
                                        Not only Director is in target but even Flash future is unsecure if the development speed is not seriously increased. Think about Silverlight web plugin which is available on Win, MacOs and soon Linux.
                                        Conclusion: Adobe giant is sleeping on it`s „wining” crown of laurels while it`s community is shrinking.
                                        Such a sad story, I hope the future versions will prove that I`m wrong.
                                        I know many will hate me for this post but this is the cruel reality.
                                        Mihai
                                        • 18. Re: New version of Director?
                                          TNMGSax
                                          I absolutely agree. Several years ago, I started a wrestling video game called homebrew wrestling. I decided to build it in Director and I have for the past 3 years. This turned out to be the worst mistake I could have made. Now I have horrible performance, HORRIBLE framerate, complete incompatability with video cards, and the list goes on and on. And trust me, I have optimized the heck out of this game.

Even simple things - shadows, volumetric lighting, collision... not to mention that if you want to make a game that's even close to even the quality of a nintendo 64 with more than 2 lights, you get about 10 frames per second.

I'm sorry, but for serious 3D development, Director is a joke. by the time 12 comes out, it will only MAYBE be up to speed on engines that have had these features for years now.
                                          • 19. Re: New version of Director?
                                            Steveorevo
                                            I agree... I've sat hoping and watching Director fall from grace. Adobe's claim to largest 3D plug-in is BS. Quicktime's support for Quicktime 3D is still bigger and apple's product is considerable older (and deader). I've also scratched my head and started looking at other engines and development environments and aside for Director's 2D score, Unity3D, TrueVision3D, and yes Microsoft's Silverlight are all kicking Adobe's ***. If Finalcut was on available on the PC, I'd say Adobe's days are numbered. With MS Silverlight, Expression and Adobe's desire to spread itself thin with hot AIR, I'd say their days are numbered!