5 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2013 9:33 AM by JJMack

Need to automate resizing of 1000s of images

Mr. Met Level 3

I have approximately 7000 images they are either 400 pixels tall or wide or 450 pixels tall or wide. This are product images and Amazon requires the images be 1000 pixels wide or tall. Is there a way to automate the process so PS recognizes longest side and it height/width and enlarges to 1000 pixels. If so, what is the magic formula?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• 1. Re: Need to automate resizing of 1000s of images
          TLL... Level 3

Not only are you asking to automate a resize (which would not be a big deal via an action or script) but you seem to want to upscale - add pixels that aren't there, make 400 into 1000. That's an over 2x resample, generally not a good idea. It would be better if you had high res images (originals?) and then downsample them...

• 2. Re: Need to automate resizing of 1000s of images
            Mr. Met Level 3

I told the client that and she's not sure if she has high res for all products. Resizing 7000 hi res images will take a year.

She called after I first posted and said she needs to only display one image of a product even if it comes in 6 other colors. So she would have just one shot of jeans #1 instead of 7. But that still leaves in excess of 1000 images after she sorts them out.

• 3. Re: Need to automate resizing of 1000s of images
              Curt Y Level 7

You can use Bridge, select the folder and images then use image processor in Tools/photoshop.  I would test with a few shots to see what the quality is.

• 4. Re: Need to automate resizing of 1000s of images
                TLL... Level 3

"Resizing 7000 hi res images will take a year." Not really, use Bridge like curt suggests. I recently ran over 90,000 150mb+ images using a Bridge workflow. It was like 60 days, give or take. Good luck!

• 5. Re: Need to automate resizing of 1000s of images
                  JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Yes you would be better off staring with bigger image file.  Then all you need is a single step action that you batch.  The single step in the required action is menu "File>Automate>Fit Image" in the fit images dialog you enter 1000  for both width and height and Click OK.  The 1000 width and height gets recorded into the action step and no dialog is displayed when the action is used.  Once you have that action you batch it on your image file using menu "File>Automate>Batch" in the batch dialog you select which action set you fit image action is in.  You the select your 1000x1000 fit image action in that set.  You select which folder your large image files are in and you set which folder to save the resized images in.

Batch should be faster then the Image processor for the image processor is a script and it uses the Automate Plug-in script Fit Image to do its resizing,  Batch is a Built in Photoshop Plug-in and should execute faster for it is doing less and is compiled code not an interpreted script