5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2007 7:53 AM by cosmacol

How do I setup a new Flex/WTP/LCDS project in FB3 beta 2?

cosmacol Level 1
      Hi,

I'm trying to setup a project using Flex Builder 3 (beta 2), using LiveCycle Data Services and with J2EE/WTP support, but I'm a little confused about the wizard's second page.

All the documentation I found (either on the net and on online help) describes the fields Root folder, Root URL and and Context root, while the wizard asks me to select a Target runtime, a Context root and a Content folder.

I tried to go on with the default settings, but they don't work as expected (for example, SDK libs aren't correctly setup so I'm not able to access LiveCycle packages like mx.rpc.livecycle). I have installed the LiveCycle Data Services ES package on my host, using the integrated JRun option - do I have to install it in the same tomcat configured as the targer runtime instead? And what's the exact meaning of the other fields?

Thank you for the attention
      Cosma Colanicchia
        • 1. Re: How do I setup a new Flex/WTP/LCDS project in FB3 beta 2?
          Gheorghe Blanariu Adobe Employee
          Hi,

If you are seeing only Target runtime, Context root and Content folder fields that you probably selected on the first page to make a J2EE using WTP project, without LCDS. So, if you want to use LCDS on the first page check "use remote object access service". On the second page an extra field will appear where you are asked to point to flex.war file.
          Hope this solves your problem,

Gelu
          • 2. Re: How do I setup a new Flex/WTP/LCDS project in FB3 beta 2?
            cosmacol Level 1
            Hi Gelu,

thanks for the answer, but I am not seeing only "Target runtime".

I selected, in the first page the "web application" application type, "J2EE" application server type, checked "Use remote object access service" selecting "LiveCycle Data Services", and checked "Create combined Java/Flex project using WTP".

This way, in the second page I get the fields I've wrote about in my previous post:
            - Target runtime (which allows to select a configured server, such as my tomcat)
            - Context root (with a default value equals to the entered project name)
            - Content folder (in my case, preselected to public-html, but it could probably be WebContent on a fresh install)
            - Flex WAR file.

Now, I think I can select my tomcat as the Target runtime and point to the WAR file installed with LCDS for the Flex WAR file field.. but what about the other two fields?

Moreover, I have not found any documentation about the infrastructure required by the LiveCycle Data Services.. the "flex" web application should be deployed in the same application server of my Java web application? Can it live in its own JRun? How does this thing work? :)

Thank you again
            Cosma
            • 3. Re: How do I setup a new Flex/WTP/LCDS project in FB3 beta 2?
              Gheorghe Blanariu Adobe Employee
              Hi Cosma,

When creating a combined Java/Flex project using WTP and LCDS your flex.war will be deployed in your application, and finally on your server provided in the target runtime so you don't need to make any work by yourself.
              The context root is the top-level directory of your application when it is deployed to a Web server.
              The Content directory folder is the mandatory location of all Web resources, for example Web pages, style sheets or graphics. If the files are not placed in this directory (or in a subdirectory structure under this directory), the files will not be available when the application is executed on a server. This is the folder where your compiled application will be placed when you run your project.

Hope this helps,

Gelu
              • 4. Re: How do I setup a new Flex/WTP/LCDS project in FB3 beta 2?
                cosmacol Level 1
                Ok, I noticed that the missing fields are displayed when the project is not created as a Java/Flex one.. so the context root / content directory have nothing to do with the LCDS web application, that's fine, thank you.

I created a project with default settings, and tried to follow this article http://www.adobe.com/devnet/livecycle/quickstart/longlivedprocess/ (to invoke a LiveCycle process).. but I still cannot access the mx.rpc.livecycle classes used in the example. In Flex Build Path properties of the project, I can see the Flex SDK, the additional lib folder in the project and an fds.swc. Do you know in which library that package is supposed to be?

Cosma
                • 5. Re: How do I setup a new Flex/WTP/LCDS project in FB3 beta 2?
                  cosmacol Level 1
                  Ok, found it.

I had to include the adobe-remoting-provider.swc library, available in the LiveCycle_ES_SDK, in the libraries of the flex project.

Thanks a lot for the help, Gelu
                  Cosma