12 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2013 1:28 PM by A.T. Romano

Creating MP4 file from my Premiere Elements 11 Project

Flip Opperman

I am publishing my elements11 project as a mp4 file, and  gets "Error compiling movie. Unkown error. Can someone assist with reason and fix for error? If I render the project in timeline view, I do not get an error, but when I am trying to Publish/Share it, the software does not want to compile the movie.

• 1. Re: Creating MP4 file from my Premiere Elements 11 Project
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Flip Opperman

Could you please supply more information

a. What computer operating system are you running your Premiere Elements 11 on?

b. What is on that Timeline in the way of video and audio formats, transitions, effects? What is the duration of the Timeline content?

c. What are you selecting as your choice under Publish+Share/ and what are the settings under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset that you select for your choice?

But, you should take a look at the Adobe Tech Note on this "Error compiling movie. Unknown Error"

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/error-error-compiling-movie-render.html

Please review the above and let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Creating MP4 file from my Premiere Elements 11 Project
            Flip Opperman Level 1

I am running Premiere Elements on a Intel Core I5 CPU 650 @3.20GHz 4GB RAM,

1x 750GB HD as well as 1 x 1TB Harddrive.

Windows7 Profesional, Service Pack 1, 

I have created a new project, with 8 jpg photos from my Nikon Camera and when I Publish / Share to Computer--> AHVCD, MP4-H264 1920x1080p 30 it creates the MP4 file fine.

If I add transitions between every photo, I get "Error compiling movie. Unknown Error" message at 33%.

Remedies tried sofar in this sequence:

Disable Auto Safe in Premier Elements11

Tried to use other output files or tried to burn to DVD, without success.

Stop Nero Auto Back-up when using Premiere Elements 11

Have unistall Premiere Elements 11, defragmented both hard drives, re-install Premiere Elements 11.

Made sure Windows 7 is up to date,

Confirmed that Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTS250 driver is up to date.

As an Pinnacle 14 user I am very happy with the edit capabilities of Premiere Elements 11, but Premiere Elements 11 is not of much use if I can not create output files. Advise to sort this out will be much appreciated.

• 3. Re: Creating MP4 file from my Premiere Elements 11 Project
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Opperman

From what you wrote, I am understanding that the addition or absence of video transitions makes the difference between the project working and not working with regard to the export of your Timeline via Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD/with the preset = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30.. Is that correct? 

According to Edit Menu/Project Settings, what have you (manually) or the program (automatically) set as the project settings (project preset)?

What transition(s) are you using in your Premiere Elements 11 Windows project? What is the transition alignment, and are you editing the transition in anyway? What is the duration of each transition?

What are the pixel dimensions of the 8 photos that are on the Timeline Expert view and what is their duration there?

Have you placed any Timeline markers in that Timeline?

As I await these further details, I will give this a first hand look to see if I can force the appearance of the "Error compiling movie. Unknown Error" message at 33%.

Thanks

ATR

• 4. Re: Creating MP4 file from my Premiere Elements 11 Project
                Flip Opperman Level 1

"From what you wrote, I am understanding that the addition or absence of video transitions makes the difference..." Yes I originally got this message from a project with both still photos and video, but in my effort to determine where the problem lies, I have created a more simple project with only 8 photos and not anything else. When that created the file correctly i have added standard transitions, The transitions used was 3D - block rotate, I have just added them in and did  not make any changes to them.

"According to Edit Menu/Project Settings, what have you (manually) or the program (automatically) set as the project settings (project preset)?" - I did not changes any settings here and used the default settings that Premiere Elements 11 start with, that is Editing mode = HD1080i, TImebase = 25 frames/sec

Video 1920 x 1080. Pixel acpect ratio = square (1.0), Fields = Upper field first, Display format = 25 fps TImecode

Capture format HDV

Video render Optimized Stills is ticked

"What transition(s) are you using..." - Cube spin with duration 1 sec. Photo dimensions ito pixels are 4928x3264. Duration of each photo is 8 seconds and total project length is 47.23 seconds

I didn't place any timeline markers

• 5. Re: Creating MP4 file from my Premiere Elements 11 Project
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>8 jpg photos from my Nikon Camera

Pictures that are "overly" large may cause video editing problems

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

-PrEl Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/973935

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Creating MP4 file from my Premiere Elements 11 Project
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Flip Opperman

Thanks for the details which are very helpful.

I am going to replicate what you have done with my Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 64 bit and will post the results as soon as possible.

Lots of factors to look at along with photo sizing (but consider, photo sizing takes on new thinking for Premiere Elements 11 and 10 so I am not sure if photo sizing will the ultimate culprit. The answers will be in the details).

To be continued

ATR

• 7. Re: Creating MP4 file from my Premiere Elements 11 Project
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Flip Oppweman

I cannot confirm the results from your mini test troubleshooting with 8 photos (4928 x 3264 pixels 3:2) each with a 1 sec transition of Cube Spin.

No problems at the Timeline level nor in the export as AVCHD.mp4 file via Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD/ with the preset MP4 - H.264 HD1080i25. I went all the way with the PAL workflow and your details.

In this example, your use of a 16:9 project preset and 3:2 photos does result in black borders to the left and right of the image, but nonetheless this point did not factor into this "Error Compiling Movie" business. In the non troubleshooting run, if you are not already, assure that the program is setting the project preset appropriate for your source media or set the project preset yourself before Add Media (File Menu/New/Project.

As for the sizing of photos for use in a Premiere Elements 11 and 10 projects. That is another story which goes beyond the classical recommendations of do not exceed 1000 x 750 for SD and do not exceed 2200 x 1238 for HD. More on that another time. For now, I did not see photo size as a factor in this mini test troubleshooting.

But back to your issues with transitions in this mini test troubleshooting

a. Check out other transitions (I believe you have)

b. Try to apply Effects to each photo - no transitions and determine if your AVCHD.mp4 export is successful.

c. Crop/Resize the photos to 1920 x 1080, add your transitions, and then look at the export success of that Timeline (that would be a confirmation that size is not the factor in your particular computer environment).

d. Give another look at the video card driver dating (see manufacturer's web site)

e. Did you go completely through the Adobe Tech Note whose link I supplied in an earlier post in this thread.

Let me recap quickly....is this a problem that worked before but does not now? Or is this something that never worked before? Here I am referring to the application of transitions to a Timeline consisting of still and/or photos.

We will be looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Creating MP4 file from my Premiere Elements 11 Project
                        Flip Opperman Level 1

AT Romano, what I have succeeded in getting the simple project to compile by disabling antivirus and other programs that run in memory!!!!!!!!!!!

THe original video project still does not want to create. In terms of the questions that you have asked, I have notices that the video clips that I have used was captured at 23 frames /sec. What do you suggest should I set the project settings when editing and compiling the video?

Regards Flip

• 9. Re: Creating MP4 file from my Premiere Elements 11 Project
                          Flip Opperman Level 1

Good day AT Romano. Thanks for your advise. After disabling some software that can interfere with file creation like Antivirus I can not recreate the previous error message. I will however consider the advise as in your last reply. I have even added a video file with music and transitions and the MP4 file creates without any issues. To summarise the photos are the original size, I have rescale them to remove the black borders, I have transitions between every clip, I have added an HD video clip with transitions as well as movie and it creates the MP4 successfully every time.

I am a new user to Premier Elements as I was using Pinnacle Studio all these years, but due to poor support wanted to move to a new video editing program, hence I am a Premier Elements 11 user since Friday afternoon.

THe original project however does still generate this error. I will re-create it applying your advise.

Regards Flip

• 10. Re: Creating MP4 file from my Premiere Elements 11 Project
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Flip Opperman

Thanks for the follow up. Great news with regards to the mini test troubleshooting. In view of what seemed to help turn things around in that case, cropping and resizing of photos used in the original should be top of your troubleshooting list.

As for project preset and such....The project preset should match the properties of your source media.

Are you saying that your source media is:

PAL AVCHD 1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 24 progressive frames per second.

The project preset is set up to be set by the program based on the properties of the first video clip to the Timeline. So, if you do not intervene, the program should be setting your project preset at:

PAL/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p24

when you drag that AVCHD 1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 24 progressive frames per second clip to the Timeline as the first clip to the Timeline.

If it does not, then you set it manually File Menu/New/Project, making sure that you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project" before existing the New Project dialog.Then you import this file with the program's Add Media.

The major contribution of the project preset is to direct the program to set the correct space in the Edit Mode monitor (in this case 1920 x 1080) from which to edit. So the frame rate does not becomes a deal breaker if it is not 24 progressive frames per second unless you are doing frame to frame editing. But, these project presets have other subtle as well as obvious affects on project settings. So best go with the best match between project preset and source media properties.

That does not necessarily tie you into a particular export.

Please review the original project's settings and Timeline content arrangements. You might have to start cutting up a copy of the original project in a search for an offending clip or effect or transition or other.

Please review.

Congratulations with your success with troubleshooting on the mini test run.

.Looking forward to further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Creating MP4 file from my Premiere Elements 11 Project
                              Flip Opperman Level 1

Good day AT Romano.

I had very itermittent results with the original project, and as a result I have converted all the photos in the project to 1920x1080 and that give me consistant good results. With the original high resolution  of 4928 x 3264 I can only get it reliable to work with no transitions, but when I resize to the lower resolution as per the project all works well.

It seems as if my problem is solved, thanks to your input. Much appreciated as I was very dissapointed at one stage with Premeire Elements 11 earlier this weeken, but all has changed now.

Thanks again for your contribution and multiple advice.

Regards Flip Opperman

• 12. Re: Creating MP4 file from my Premiere Elements 11 Project
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Flip Oppermann

Thanks for the follow up which is so important to us all.

We are glad that you are moving forward in your Premere Elements projects and getting consistently good results.

ATR