3 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2013 10:48 AM by Test Screen Name

Adobe Document Security Reliability

sal.hobbi

There seem to be many PDF DRM removal software available in the market. I tried them and they work. How assurances do I have that the latest (Acrobat XI) will work and no one will be able to remove document permissions and edit my work?

• 1. Re: Adobe Document Security Reliability
          Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

You should get this message when you set security, until you turn it off. But it's simply true.

a9securitywarning.JPG

However, regular Acrobat security is nothing to do with DRM.

• 2. Re: Adobe Document Security Reliability
            sal.hobbi Level 1

Thank you for your reply. Good point on DRM & security being not related. My thinking was permissions & security are one of the same.

The message really proves my point that my PDF documents's permissions are respected only within Adobe products. So anyone can access DRM-based document and bypass the permissions (just as the message states)! So I really need to consider other solutions for sentitive PDFs such policies and other legal matters.

• 3. Re: Adobe Document Security Reliability
              Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

No, they are not DRM based! This is, as I said, nothing to do with DRM.

Adobe's DRM solution is LiveCycle Policy Server. DRM protected files naturally only work with Adobe products.

Now, you might like to consider why your PDFs are sensitive to changes. Is it

- because people might modify stuff, which was still attributed to you/your company, with legal implications?

- because they might pass your work as their own?

- other reasons?

Particular solutions exist for some of these issues which are MUCH better than security.