8 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2013 5:19 PM by the_wine_snob

Audio Question

FlynnDemon1

When I try to import audo to a slideshow we created with pictures, I get an error message telling me that I do not have to proper codecs required for the files. Can you tell me how to get what I need, or why it won't work with an mp3 file in th first place?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Audio Question
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

As there are several methods for creating SlideShows, can you tell us exactly how you are doing this, and in exactly which programs, please?

Next, can you give us the full details of the problem Audio file - more info, the better, including where it came from?

The answer will likely be in those details.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Audio Question
            FlynnDemon1 Level 1

We are using Adobe Premiere Elements 10 to create a photo slideshow. We went to "organize" then "create slideshow". From there we imported pictures and created the slideshow. I wanted to add music. When I clicked "add audio to slideshow", I got the error message. The audio files are mp3, and I tried to import them from my music files. I am using Windows 7.

• 3. Re: Audio Question
              A.T. Romano Level 7

FlynnDemon1

How about us trying the following to determine if this specific issue resides in that specific .mp3 file.

Open a new Premiere Elements 10 project.

With Get Media/Files and Folders browse to and select this .mp3 from its hard drive save location into Premiere Elements Editor workspace. Can you import that file to Audio 1 without issue or do you get the codec error message there also?

We will be watching for your results and then comment on what next.

Depending on your results, converting the .mp3 to .wav might be the next step, but I will not get ahead of the story.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Audio Question
                FlynnDemon1 Level 1

When I opened a new project, the song worked. No error message.

• 5. Re: Audio Question
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

FlynnDemon1

Good news.

Thanks for the follow up.

We could continue to troubleshoot the specific issue in Elements Organizer Create Slideshow

.Determine if another .mp3 would do the job or whether you need to convert the .mp3 to .wav for use in the slideshow in the Elements Organizer.

If you wanted to bypass that troubleshooting, we could workaround this by importing the music after you have transferred the Elements Organizer slideshow to Premiere Elements 10, using the Elements Organizer Output option of Edit with Premiere Elements Editor.

Once you have gotten the Elements Organizer Slideshow (without your .mp3) in Premiere Elements Timeline

a. right click the slideshow on the Timeline (now in a video format)

b. select Break Apart Elements Organizer Slideshow

c. import your .mp3 into the project with Premiere Elements 10's Get Media/Files and Folders.

Please review and then let us know if you need clarification on anything that I have written.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Audio Question
                    Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would convert the .mp3 to .wav in Audacity and then bring it into Pre El.

• 7. Re: Audio Question
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Peru Bob

I have Audacity 1.3.12-beta (Unicode) installed on my Windows 7 Professional SP2 64 bit computer. It has been ther for some time now In order to be able to export as .mp3 I needed to import and install the Lame codec.

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Lame_Installation

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Lame_Installation

At this point, I can import and export .mp3 into Audacity and convert the .mp3 to .wav there. The .wav can be saved there and imported into Premiere Elements.

So, if you run into problems importing .mp3 into Audacity for conversion to .wav, you may have to download and install this LAME codec. I do not remember if the Lame install was for export or whether it took in import as well as export considerations.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Audio Question
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

I cannot help with exactly where LAME fit in, as I just downloaded and installed it, when I first installed Audacity. Not sure that I ever knew whether it was for Import, or Export, or both - I just got it at that time, and never questioned.

I use Audacity, or Adobe Auditon for the conversion process, and they have always worked perfectly.

Though many MP3's work for many users, I have just made it a habit to convert all (with the exception of tiny SFX files, from collections that I have bought over the years) MP3's to PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, and those converted WAV files have Imported and edited perfectly. They also Conform almost instantly in Premiere.

Wish my memory was better...

Hunt