32 Replies Latest reply: Jun 18, 2013 7:24 AM by EveryNameIsRejected RSS

Audio Effects Bug CS6

adjohnson62 Community Member

Why, when audio effects are applied, whether saved as a preset or generated afresh, do they drop out when the program is closed and have to be re-applied to every clip when I re-open CS6?

(I am a DSLR filmaker with a Mac background. I bought a W7, 3.40 i7 PC with a GTX650 and 16GB and registered to try Adobe Premiere CS6 with a view to paying the monthly payment of £17.66 in order to utilise the software’s capabilities (the native H.264 and the Mercury engine etc.). I am halfway through a big job and it is causing me a huge waste of time re-applying these minor Pitchshifter and EQ effects every time I restart.)

• 1. Re: Audio Effects Bug CS6
          joe bloe premiere Community Member

I have tried without success to replicate your problem using

both the Pitchshifter and the EQ Audio Effects.

Is your Premiere version updated to CS6.0.3?

Help > About Adobe Premiere Pro...

CS6.0.3.PNG

• 2. Re: Audio Effects Bug CS6
            Steven L. Gotz Community Member

Tell us about your hard drive configurations and where your cache is stored. Is it possible that your drive letter's are shifting?

• 3. Re: Audio Effects Bug CS6

Thank you for such a swift response (and on a Sunday). I have almost no concept of what you are referring to here as I am still a bit of a Machead, hence my computer science crededtials are weak. The hard drive I am using is the internal hard drive. It’s a 1TB Hitachi HUA722010CLA331. The cache for Premiere lives within the Program Files on my Local Disk C:

Is it possible to port the cache across to an external hard drive and have it there or does that invlove running CS6 from that hard drive as well?

A hard drive shifting letters is something I do not understand, and I’ve just looked it up. However, now that you mention it, every time I plug my external hard drive in it has a different letter. Why in hades would this be the case and what can I do to stop it, short of smashing the computer with a hammer?

• 4. Re: Audio Effects Bug CS6

Is it possible to port the cache across to an external hard drive and have it there or does that involve running CS6 from that hard drive as well?

First off, missing Media Cache files will not have any bearing

on the disappearance of Audio Effects applied to clips

in your Timeline when re-opening your Project.

That said, it is considered a best practice to locate your

Media Cache Database and Media Cache Files on an

internal drive instead of using an external.

..every time I plug my external hard drive in it has a different letter. Why in hades would this be the case and what can I do to stop it,

Control Panel > Device Manager > Disk Management

Assign a dedicated drive letter to your external drive.

Otherwise, Windows will automatically assign the next available

drive letter to a newly connected drive, and depending on

what is connected to your system it will not always be the same.

• 5. Re: Audio Effects Bug CS6

Thanks, Joe. This is all fascinating stuff, but it does not really address the issue with the bug in CS6. All my cache files are on the internal drive. My external drive is not even plugged into the bugger at the moment.

Is there any way to fix this without downloading an update to the program? I have 6.0.0. I downloaded it from Adobe direct four days ago and I don’t have an wi-fi card on that machine. Is it necessary for me to hump the thing to a wired internet connection to download CS6.0.3?

And will this work to fix the dropout of all the audio effects I add to my clips?

• 6. Re: Audio Effects Bug CS6

This is all fascinating stuff, but it does not really address the issue with the bug in CS6.

You're right!

You asked about disks, I answered (prefaced by saying

that this has no bearing on the problem at hand).

Is there any way to fix this without downloading an update to the program? I have 6.0.0.

...I don’t have an wi-fi card on that machine.

I am not certain, but you should be able to update a Trial installation.

Updating will require an internet connection to download the files.

In Premiere:

Help > Updates

Or, you can run 'Adobe Application Manager' to check for updates.

...will this work to fix the dropout of all the audio effects I add to my clips?

Maybe. The updates contain fixes.

As I said in post #1, I am unable to replicate your problem

using the most current version of CS6. (Windows - CS6.0.3)

• 7. Re: Audio Effects Bug CS6

Thing is, I have to shut the thing down to update it, so I lose all the effects which I spent 90 minutes this morning re-applying anyway. Sorry, Adobe, you just sold me another copy of FCP.

• 8. Re: Audio Effects Bug CS6

Are you interested in finding a solution to the problem,

or simply looking for a place to rant?

• 9. Re: Audio Effects Bug CS6

Try saving the project using "Save As" and after that use the Project Manager (in the Project menu) to make a copy in another directory.

One of those may save your work properly. I don't know. I have never had that problem, but give them both a try.

Sorry about the drive question. Joe is probably right. I was grasping at straws.

• 10. Re: Audio Effects Bug CS6

I am interested in finding a solution to the problem which does not crash my project. Updating the software I downloaded direct from Adobe last week will cause me to have to restart the program and lose the work that I have had to do multiple times due to this bug in the program. None of the information given here gets me closer to a solution which does not cause me to have to do more work. This is unacceptable from a supposedly full-featured professional suite of programs which I am trying to buy into so I will not be going on to purchase the product beyond this trial period. Apologies if this complaint is out of place but I was unaware that this forum was not an official Adobe area.

• 11. Re: Audio Effects Bug CS6

No, it is not official. Just a user to user forum. However, we do have some Adobe staff members who keep an eye out and respond when they can. Not usually on weekends though.

I see you responded about the time I posted. I don't want you to miss my two suggestions.

Try saving the project using "Save As" and after that use the Project Manager (in the Project menu) to make a copy in another directory.

• 12. Re: Audio Effects Bug CS6

Okay, done that, I saved another project on the desktop under a different name. When I closed both projects – I lose both all the EQ and the PitchShifter effect instance when I reopen the projects:

grab.pnggrab2.png

• 13. Re: Audio Effects Bug CS6

Wow! I am so sorry you lost your work again before I thought of another possibility.

Research indicates it might be an XML problem, but before you go too far, try making just one or two changes to your project and then right click on the audio clip and select "Edit in Adobe Audition".

That should replace your file with what I believe will be a file that has the changes built in. If this works for you then you can at least continue on using this temporary workaround. Perhaps someone during the week will have a better answer.

• 14. Re: Audio Effects Bug CS6
                                    JSS1138 Community Member

due to this bug in the program.

Not sure it is a bug.  I can't reproduce the error, and I don't recall this being commonly complained about.  Probably just a glitch in your system.

When you moved to Windows, did you build the computer yourself, or buy premade?

• 15. Re: Audio Effects Bug CS6

Riiiiight. Oh dear. I had it custom built  specifically for video editing. Perhaps it’s a lemon. That’s a large negative, but thanks for troubleshooting it with me, guys.

• 16. Re: Audio Effects Bug CS6

Did you try the "Edit in Audition" feature?

• 17. Re: Audio Effects Bug CS6

Downloading, paying for and learning a new application is not practical for me but thanks again for the attention and help.

• 18. Re: Audio Effects Bug CS6

Hang about, I’ve just re-read you post (properly) – ’looks like I may not have to actually have Audition to do this. ’Will try now. Cheers!

• 19. Re: Audio Effects Bug CS6

Dang! I keep forgetting that not everyone is on the Creative Cloud. Sorry about that. I have had Audition so long I don't think about it anymore.

I guess if that doesn't work, the solution would be to export the audio to a wav file yourself. But that bug is pretty odd. You would think we would have seen more complaints about it but not many people seem to experience it. Enough to need to have it fixed, certainly. Please make sure to submit a bug report. The more reports they get, the more likely it is to get fixed.

• 20. Re: Audio Effects Bug CS6

exporting wavs for hundreds of clips is not something I have the time nor my client the budget for. I am also surprised no one else has experenced the same problem, but then I am still on 6.0.0, so I suppose I’ll have to download the update and try a different hard drive on my system.

• 21. Re: Audio Effects Bug CS6

This incredibly detailled and helpful troubleshooting message is what comes up when I try to port the Project over to another drive:

Untitled.jpg

• 22. Re: Audio Effects Bug CS6
                                                    Jeff Bellune CommunityMVP

The error message you got initially about missing plug-ins does not mean they have gone missing from your project.  The effects are still applied to the clips in your sequences.  They will show up as "Offline" in the Effect Controls Panel.  The error message means that Pr can't find the effects themselves in the effects folder. 

So first you have to go to the "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS6\Plug-ins\en_US\VSTPlugins" folder and make sure that the PitchShifter 1, 2 and 6 .dll files are there, and that the EQ1.dll file is there.  They will almost certainly exist since you can re-apply them.  But it's good to check and make sure.

This may be a permissions issue, so make sure you run Pr from an administrator account.  You may even have to force "Run As Administrator" when you launch Pr.  While you're in the VSTPlugins folder, make sure that the permissions on the PitchShifter and EQ .dll files matches the permissions on the other .dll files in that folder.  (This presumes that you can add the other audio effects and not lose them when you re-open your project).

If none of that works, you may have to uninstall, reboot, run the Adobe Creative Suite Cleaner Tool, reboot and reinstall.

Jeff

• 23. Re: Audio Effects Bug CS6

Jeff, this is ace. Thanks for this. Why on earth is this necessary though? I own the computer. Nobody else uses it. I do not know how to run it from an Administrator account but I will look it up. Thanks again.

• 24. Re: Audio Effects Bug CS6
                                                        Jeff Bellune CommunityMVP

Why on earth is this necessary though? I own the computer. Nobody else uses it.

Microsoft's default stance is to protect us from ourselves.  Users who are willing to accept the risk and potential consequences of not using the default safeguards have to make the effort to actively disable those safeguards. 

Possible help:

User Account Type - Change - Windows 7 Help Forums

Run As Administrator:

RunAsAdmin.png

Jeff

• 25. Re: Audio Effects Bug CS6

This is so helpful, I can’t tell you, but I’m wondering... In order to make an informed decision about continuing with this program on this system, could you explain to me whether this permissions issue is a fault with the way windows is set up or a fault with the way Premiere dovetails in to the system (or neither?) Thanks again.

• 26. Re: Audio Effects Bug CS6
                                                            tfi productions 44 Community Member

hello,  i am on the trial of cs6 production premium and installed all the updates successfully (except illustrator)  and all is good...cheers, j

• 27. Re: Audio Effects Bug CS6

Okay, great. I’m very pleased that’s the case. In my case, it’s buggier than a basement flat on Hong Kong island.

• 28. Re: Audio Effects Bug CS6
                                                                JSS1138 Community Member

Might be time to wipe the system and start over.  The Adobe suite is pretty stable on a healthy system.

• 29. Re: Audio Effects Bug CS6

’Interesting point, but both my Mac CS5 and PC CS6 trial versions of After Effects crash in the same otiose, unfathomable way on opening. cs5bug.jpg

iMac 3.06 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM Nvidia GeForece 9400

Intel i7 16GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX650

• 30. Re: Audio Effects Bug CS6
                                                                    JSS1138 Community Member

Just further argument for a wipe, I think.

• 31. Re: Audio Effects Bug CS6

’Way to miss the mark everyone! http://forums.adobe.com/message/5089355

• 32. Re: Audio Effects Bug CS6
                                                                        EveryNameIsRejected Community Member

I have the same issue.

EQ audio effect is lost. The message is "Offline (filter unavailable)". This makes the audio effects completely useless to me.