10 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2013 10:17 AM by WouterVisser

Photoshop CS6 keeps crashing

WouterVisser

Hello,

I've used Photoshop CS6 Extended Edition for over a year on my current laptop (specs below), but now it just crashes at random points. I get the message 'Photoshop has stoped working' and then I can only close it. I didn't change any settings. First I tought it happend because I also had Visual Studio open (also uses alot ram etc), but even after I closed it and did a reboot Photoshop kept crashing :'(

My specs are:

Pc: Dell latitude D630 86x

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.20Ghz

Graphics: Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family

Ram: 2Gb

I know it isn't the best you can get but first I could use Photoshop without any problems.

So, how can I fix this?

Edit: I have updated all my drivers and it still won't work.

• 1. Re: Photoshop CS6 keeps crashing
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I would consider that system seriously underpowered for Windows 8 alone much less running PS on it. Well, anyway, what does the Event Viewer say about the crashes?

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Photoshop CS6 keeps crashing
            WouterVisser Level 1

It says:

Faulting application name: Photoshop.exe, version: 13.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4f61beba

Faulting module name: ig4dev32.dll, version: 8.14.10.1930, time stamp: 0x4aba6fdd

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000d09f

Faulting process id: 0x20

Faulting application start time: 0x01ce54a391b7d083

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Photoshop.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ig4dev32.dll

Report Id: f3b7195c-c096-11e2-afdd-001a6b43f49c

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

So I guess it has to do with ig4dev32.dll wich was (according to windows) updated on 9-5-2013 (dd-MM-yyy)

Edit: After some research I found out that it's an OpenGL error (This isn't the first time my display adapter caused problems)

So do I now have to upgrade my pc in order to keep everything running fine?

• 3. Re: Photoshop CS6 keeps crashing
              conroy Level 5

WouterVisser wrote:

I've used Photoshop CS6 Extended Edition for over a year

Faulting application name: Photoshop.exe, version: 13.0.0.0

You should have updated Ps months ago. The current version for Windows is 13.0.1.1 if a perpetual licence and 13.1.2 if a CC subscription.

I'm not saying that'll solve your problem, but do it anyway.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Photoshop CS6 keeps crashing
                Curt Y Level 7

Like mylenium said you system is built for 32 bit XP and 64 bit Win OS.  CS6 works best with min. of 8 gig of ram and a medium graphics card.

Also, you are not curreent on PS update.  Click Help/update.

When you update your graphics processer it is important to do this on the makers website, not the automatic update link provided on the computer.

• 5. Re: Photoshop CS6 keeps crashing
                  WouterVisser Level 1

Thanks, I will try it. I nearly never update programs if they work becaus if I update it may not work (had some bad experince) anyways I will update my ps.

About the update, I had updated my display adapter with a update form www.downloadcenter.intel.com becaus windows didn't see any updates.

• 6. Re: Photoshop CS6 keeps crashing
                    conroy Level 5

I understand and deliberately use Ps 13.0.1 on my Mac despite there being a 13.0.4 update (not available for Ps on Windows) because 13.0.4 has new bugs and some features removed.

However, 13.0 was an extremely poor software release (compiled before the public beta phase began, as far as I know) with serious bugs which are fixed by the 13.0.1 and 13.0.1.1 updates.

• 7. Re: Photoshop CS6 keeps crashing
                      WouterVisser Level 1

I have updated my Photoshop with the patch but everytime I try to rotate something windows says 'Photoshop has stopped working' so now I'm pretty sure its an driver issue since ig4dev32.dll has to do with OpenGL (correct me if I'm wrong)

• 8. Re: Photoshop CS6 keeps crashing
                        conroy Level 5

Sorry, I can't help further because I only have a Mac here.

• 9. Re: Photoshop CS6 keeps crashing
                          Curt Y Level 7

Try with GPU switched off.  If that does not work in Performance click on GPU advanced settings and set to basic.

It can also be the 2 gigs of RAM.  This may not even be minimium specs, and suprised that anything works.  At a setting of 50% this only gives 1 gig to PS and 1 gig to the OS.  Not enough to do much of anything or keep the computer running.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Photoshop CS6 keeps crashing
                            WouterVisser Level 1

Hmm, this site said that ig4dev32.dll (the file that caused the error) was an file that is included in the Intel driver updater for Windows Vist. So I installed the Windows Vista driver for my display adapter in compatibility mode and then I could use Photoshop without crashes. After that I installed the Windows 7 driver (becaus my resolution was 640x480 (I guess) and I couldn't change it) and it still worked

So thanks guys my problem is fixed now.

@ Curt Y For some reason my Ram nearly never caused problems and when I run Photoshop I have still Ram available, so that coldn't be the problem.