8 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2013 12:23 PM by MARKARKARK

Replacing multiple clips

MARKARKARK Level 1

Is it possible to replace numerous clips without replacing them one by one.  I have a folder full of clips with one actor, I would like to replace it with identical clips, but by another. I would rather do it all in one replace than replacing each clip individually.

• 1. Re: Replacing multiple clips
          joe bloe premiere Level 5

Is it possible to replace numerous clips...

...with one actor, I would like to replace it with identical clips, but by another.

Boy, I hope not!

That might put a lot of editors out of work.

It is possible to replace multiple clips in one stroke (for example

swapping out proxy resolution clips by relocating them and then

relinking to the full resolution clips), but the scenario you describe

would involve clips with different names, different durations

and differently timed content.

It's why we call it editing.

• 2. Re: Replacing multiple clips
            MARKARKARK Level 1

I don't think I described it acurately.  My clips have the identical name.  The actors are speaking the same lines, so the piece is roughly the same length.  The only thing I am trying to accomplish is switching from one actor to the next.  It involves hundreds of very short clips perhaps 3 to 10 seconds each.  I was looking for a way I could replace the contents of a folder I created full of these clips with another, or how to replace all of the clips with clips of the same name etc.  In after effects if a folder is moved it tells you it cannot locate it.  Once you locate and link the file the computer relinks clips from that location automatically.  I was hoping there was a similiar function with Premiere Pro.  Any help would be appreciated. 

• 3. Re: Replacing multiple clips
              (in Ae) ...if a folder is moved it tells you it cannot locate it.  Once you locate and link the file the computer relinks clips from that location automatically.

This is exactly what Premiere will do as well.

The actors are speaking the same lines, so the piece is roughly the same length.

This is where the problem might come in (roughly).

Premiere might reject them as a mismatch to the original file.

Back up your Project, try to relocate and relink to the alternate takes,

then report back with your result.

edit:

Good news (maybe).

I just tested this (CS6.0.3), and a duration discrepancy

did not cause Premiere to reject the newly re-linked file(s).

However, you will likely neet to slip each edit for timing.

• 4. Re: Replacing multiple clips
                MARKARKARK Level 1

I think this will work.  I thought I would have to find each file individually.  One other problem.  I have 3 folders that have the actor in different angles, folders 1,2,3. The comps are labled "comp1", "comp2" etc. in each file.  So when it starts it asks "Where is comp1?"  but does not specify the folder. 

• 5. Re: Replacing multiple clips

That is a problem arising from renaming original media files prior

to importing them into Premiere... especially with duplicate names.

Instead of relinking media on opening the Project, hit 'Skip All'.

After the Project is open, try selecting the clips that you know

the destination folder(s) and relink them in groups.

• 6. Re: Replacing multiple clips
                    MARKARKARK Level 1

Could you tell me how to relink them in groups?

• 7. Re: Replacing multiple clips

Instead of relinking media on opening the Project, hit 'Skip All'.

Lasso-select, Shift+Click and/or Ctrl+Click to select multiple offline files

(clips that you know share a destination folder).

Right-Click, select: Link Media...

Navigate to the location of the prompted file(s), then select.

Then, move on to the next set of clips

that you know share a destination folder

• 8. Re: Replacing multiple clips
                        MARKARKARK Level 1

Thank you so much for your help.  I will try this.  If it works you will have saved a lot of time in this project.

Thanks again,

Mark.