4 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2013 1:36 PM by BugMcVagh

Chronosphere effect

BugMcVagh

Hello everyone!
      I would like to create an animated logo for my youtube channel. The basic idea is switching from the logo to the title with an effect that looks like the Westwood logo from the game Red Alert (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABDm2JcnTPs from 2:00). I got the logo as a vector artwork. Now I'm kind of new to the program, and I have no idea where to start, how does a transition like this called? How can it be solved? Many thanks!

• 1. Re: Chronosphere effect
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

It's not a single "Which button must I push?" effect. I see lots of glow, opacity animation, a fractal noise overlay, a lens flare, possibly otehr things, but well, frankly, if you have no prior experience none of that probably means anything to you and I could talk to the wall. It may be rude, but really, start by watching some basic tutorials.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Chronosphere effect
            BugMcVagh Level 1

I didn't expected it to be simple. But yeah, thanks for naming them, it helps.

• 3. Re: Chronosphere effect
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm going to teach you how to analyze an effect by breaking it down.

A still frame is a good place to start. Let's start with the first major effect:

sample.jpeg

That splotchy stuff with the blown out look overlaid on the logo is a noise pattern that could be created with fractal noise. The blown out areas can be achieved by setting the blend mode of the noise layer to Add. The ever increasing intensity can be achieved through a combination of opacity changes and brightness and contrast animation in fractal noise.

An easy way to mask the fractal noise layer so it just is added to the logo is to use a copy of the logo as a track matte for the layer.

There's also a glow that is starting to increase in intensity. If you add an adjustment layer above the logo, fractal noise, logo as a track matte layers then you can animate the intensity and radius of the glow.

sample2.jpeg

Here the glow has increased to the point where everything is nearly blown out.

Now something like Trapcode Shine or CC Light Burst is added. It can be applied to an adjustment layer.

sample3.jpeg

Then all of the effects are reduced to the point that they disappear and a new layer is introduced with some different text:

sample4.jpeg

This can be accomplished by scaling the logo layer, fractal noise layer, and logo as a track matte while reducing their opacity and reducing the amount of the glow adjustment layer on top of the stack. The new text also has a glow applied so the new text layer must be below the adjustment layer.

There you go. Simple analysis breaking down the effect with just 4 stills grabbed from the effect. The only reason that I know what effects may be applied to the layers is that I've gone through every one of the effects that come with AE and applied them to a layer and looked at what they can do. I took the time to learn. It's the only way to get good at AE.

Here's what a Comp might look like that could create the effect you want to duplicate. I have added two lights and extruded some simple text using the Ray-traced rendering available in CS6 to create the Sample Logo. This comp is close and only took 4 or 5 minutes. Additional layering, some pre-comps and other tricks can be used to add more detail in the rays. You could even create the rays with a masked solid that was blurred and scaled and duplicated with the blend modes set to add.

sampleComp.jpeg

The point is that there are a lot of ways to duplicate an effect. I've outlined a good start at duplicating the effect. The way to learn is to start layering and applying effects to see what they do.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Chronosphere effect
                BugMcVagh Level 1

Thank you very much! This explanation helped me a lot. Also thanks for taking me seriously. You sir deserve a golden medal! ^^
                Here is the result:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R_KGVPeAFw
                I'll tweak it later, I tend to go overboard with things, especially if I'm being freshly introduced to them. ^^