6 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2013 9:44 AM by A.T. Romano

Photoshop Elements 11 not recognizing my CR2 file

JanteLaw

I've previously updated Elements 11 so it would recognize my CR2 files from my Canon 6D.  But now I get the message when I try to open a file that "the file could not be opened because it appears to be from a model that is not supported by the installed version of Camera Raw."  Now what do I do

• 1. Re: Photoshop Elements 11 not recognizing my CR2 file
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Have you downloaded the latest ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) module?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Photoshop Elements 11 not recognizing my CR2 file
            A.T. Romano Level 7

JantelLaw

Please check out

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/troubleshoot-camera-raw-photoshop-photoshop.html

http://blogs.adobe.com/pselements/adobe-camera-raw-7-4-is-now-available-for-photoshop-elem ents-11/

You realize that you are in the Premiere Elements Forum not the Photoshop Elements Forum. Nonetheless, let us proceed.

Open Photoshop Elements Full Editor, and go to Help Menu/About Plugins/Camera Raw. What version of Camera Raw does it show there? Is it 7.4.0.137?

If not, go to Help Menu/Update and update the Camera Raw to the 7.4.0.137 version.

But, I think that the minimum Camera Raw version for the Canon 6D is 7.3.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Photoshop Elements 11 not recognizing my CR2 file
              JanteLaw Level 1

Thanx for the great info.  There are multiple problems though - seem to be stemming from Adobe download process.  First, my version of Camera Raw seems to have reverted to 7.1 even though I ran this update successfully when I first installed Photoshop Elements 11 and have already processed CR2 files successfully.  So I tried the updater but the Adobe updater gives me the message "The update server is not responding. The server might be offline temporarily, or the internet or firewall settings may be incorrect.  Please try again later."  That message has been there for 8 hours now.  So I directly downloaded 7.4, and ran the Patch Installer file as directed - except it then said I needed an updated Adobe Application Manager (which I also had previously run and installed when I updated to 7.3 the first time).  So I've now downloaded that (twice) and each time the installer just sits there frozen saying its Preparing Files and to wait while files are being extracted - although the green progress bar sits at 100% and neither the close or Finish options respond. I seem to have one incomplete Application Manager folder on my desktop - I say incomplete because the Setup folder does not respond either.  So I'm at a complete loss!

• 4. Re: Photoshop Elements 11 not recognizing my CR2 file
                A.T. Romano Level 7

JanteLaw

Thanks for the update.

A while back, with a Windows 7 64 bit laptop, I ran into that "The update server is not responding. The server might be offline temporarily, or the internet settings may be correct. Please try again later." when I was trying to update Camera Raw in Photoshop Elements with its Full Editor/Help Menu/Update.

A friend suggested the fix that worked for her and then subsequently worked for me. I do not recall all the details but it was based on disabling the laptop's Window 7 64 bit's "Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter". I believe that she said the path to it was:

Control Panel

Network and Internet Sharing Center

Change Adapter Settings

followed by a right click on "Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter" and selection of disable. Are you having the same download problem trying to download from Help Menu/Update from any other version of Photoshop Elements?

She also suggested that a Bluetooth interference was possible. That did not apply in my case.

No guarantees on this one, just a fuzzy recollection for what worked for me on one particular laptop. Proceed with caution if you do find the Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter included on the computer that you have.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Photoshop Elements 11 not recognizing my CR2 file
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

JanteLaw

Just a note about Camera Raw as it relates to Premiere Elements as well as Photoshop Elements.

If you have Premiere Elements 11 Windows, you can install Camera Raw 7.4 from there via Help Menu/Updates. Once you do, that update will be cover in this regard Photoshop Elements 11 if it is installed on the same computer since each case traces back to the same path and location

Local Disk C

Common Files

Adobe

Plug-Ins

Elements 11

File Formats

and in the File Formats Folder is the Camera Raw.8bi.

The major distinction here is that Premiere Elements with Camera Raw installed in that Common Folder route is then able to import raw and dng files for your project. But you cannot open the Camera Raw dialog there to edit the raw files. You need opening the Camera Raw dialog in Photoshop Elements for editing of raw file purposes.

So, the downloading of the Camera Raw plug-in can be of interest to Elements users on both the Photoshop Elements as well as the Premiere Elements side of things.

ATR