3 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2013 10:41 PM by thanser

This Development Process Technique

thanser Level 1

"In the post-process toning and balancing of the uneven light in the alleyway, I developed the raw file with different density to use the natural light instead of dodging and burning. In effect to recreate what the eye sees and get a larger dynamic range," he said.

Some of you might be familiar with this recent image captured by photojournalist Paul Hansen in Sweden.  The article claiming that it is NOT a composited image is located here:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/05/14/183983184/photographer-defends-prize-winnin g-photo-of-gaza-funeral

So my question is, how did he accomplish this, exactly?

Two different RAW developed images, at different settings, layered on top of each other in PS?  Does anyone know?

I mean, to be quite honest I'm pretty good at PS.  But I want to know what is meant by his comment quoted above.  (We're all continually learning Photoshop, even after 15 years of using it professionally.)

Anyone?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: This Development Process Technique
          Noel Carboni Level 8

VERY interesting.

The statement is vague, but I get the impression that he's saying he did virtually everything in the raw converter, noting specifically the use of the phrase "developed the raw file".

Assuming Camera Raw 7.x...

The "with different density" part may imply the use of the Adjustment Brush tool, which allows you to locally apply different development parameters.  All the data is from the raw file; it's not "painted" per se, but Hansen may have just brought out the visibility of darker parts by applying different parameters locally.  Same deal with dimming the bright sky.

Beyond that, don't forget that Camera Raw has adjustments that specifically target whites, highlights, shadows, and blacks, and it makes the transitions between them look as natural as possible.

I'm thinking that Hansen just used the latest and greatest development tools in Camera Raw, and those "analyzing" the photo and claiming it was composited or faked are simply out of touch with the most modern raw file development capabilities.

It's been clear for a long time that any number of radically different images can be wrung out of the very same exposure data.

-Noel

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: This Development Process Technique
            Level 7

Sound like shadow & hilight, or just selective painting of adjustments in ACR.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: This Development Process Technique
              thanser Level 1

Hi, Noel:

Nice to hear from you again. 

Well, we're learning something new every day, obviously.  We all have our development techniques we're used to, and new features come out in new versions of PS, but I just had to figure out what he meant by this.

The image has a lot going on, obviously, and it almost looks like an HDR image.  The tonal range looks very unrealistic, and manipulated.  Not that it's a bad image, of course.

I wasn't familiar with the Adjustment Brush tool in Camera Raw, so again, we learn something new every day.  I was assuming he did something with two differently developed files, layered on top of each, and maybe some selective masking or blending mode action going on.

I might take a moment to Google a little further on Peter Hansen - maybe he discusses this technique somewhere online, or maybe he's even available for comment.

Thanks again.