7 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2013 3:53 PM by A.T. Romano

Animating a still image

ahmicelfin

I want to rotate a still image 90 degrees from beginning to end of the duration. Is this possible in Premiere Elements (or in conjunction with Photoshop or Lightroom)?

• 1. Re: Animating a still image
          A.T. Romano Level 7

ahmicelfin

As I recall, you are using Premiere Elements 11.

If so, keyframming the Rotation should be looked at. Are you OK with the concept of keyframing a propertty such as Scale, Position, Opacity, Rotation, and so on so that the effect can be varied across the clip rather than applied uniformly to the entire clip.

Outline

Approach A

Applied Effects Route

a. Highlight clip

b. Click on Applied Effect to open the Applied Effects Palette.

c. Expand the Motion Panel to reveal the Rotation area and its slider and controls.

d. Hit Toggle Animation to initiate the keyframing for automatic keyframes placement as you move the Timeline Indicator and make a change of rotation at different locations.

Approach B

Timeline Video Track Rubberband Route

a. Set the rubber band for Rotation. (rubberband is that orange looking vertical line that runs across the middle of your clip on Video track)

b. Set keyframe for a given Rotation setting by holding down the Control Key of the Computer Main Keyboard as you click the spot for keyframe placement (white dot) on the rubberband.

That is sort of a crude and quick look at. Refined details upon request.

Animation using Photoshop Elements is another story involving stacked layers in the Layers Palette and use of Save for Web.

Not sure why Lightroom would factor into all this.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have further questions on what I wrote.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...This book excerpt from Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Classroom in a Book might be interesting

http://books.google.com/books?id=7zdjWNElM1IC&pg=PT280&lpg=PT280&dq=Keyframing+Premiere+El ements+11&source=bl&ots=YM3QAwq-xn&sig=n-rp_O3FDZhTAuvs3Rs1y9y74qg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=YYCaUaunI OzJ0AHFuoDwDw&ved=0CC0Q6AEwADgU

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Animating a still image
            ahmicelfin Level 1

All of those are the answers I was looking for. The book excerpt was especially helpful.

Thank you.

• 3. Re: Animating a still image
              ahmicelfin Level 1

I used the Adobe Classroom method and it gave a smooth rotation over the length of the clip - exactly as I was hoping for.

• 4. Re: Animating a still image
                A.T. Romano Level 7

ahmicelfin

Thanks for the follow up. Glad the information was helpful.

Please let us know how you are progressing with your animations in Premiere Elements.

The results from this type of  project can develop into very artistically rewarding and interesting creations.

ATR

• 5. Re: Animating a still image
                  ahmicelfin Level 1

I plan on uploading to Vimeo. Would it be appropriate to post the link on this forum?

• 6. Re: Animating a still image
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Would it be appropriate to post the link on this forum?

Absolutely! It is always great to see the end Project, when forum subscribers have contributed to a thread. It can also be very useful for others, who find a thread via Search, to see how the suggestions have helped the poster.

Please do, and good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Animating a still image
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

ahmicelfin

Hunt has already answered your question about posting a link here to your Vimeo animation. I will just add the following note:

I will be interested in your animation viewed on Vimeo, but also whatever comments you have about the upload to Vimeo from within Premiere Elements 11 Publish+Share/Online/Vimeo versus exporting the animation to a file and then uploading that to Vimeo at the Vimeo web site.

Sounding very good.

Thanks.

ATR