4 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2013 4:11 PM by A.T. Romano

Black frame around video

dswift743 Level 1

I'm shooting video on a Sony FX 1000, widescreen DV.  I upload it into PE fine, frame size 720 x 480.  When I save it to file (in this case, on the hard drive), there is a black frame around the video (see below).  I see it when I play it on Media Player, and also when I upload it to a separate PE file where I want to cut it with other files. 

A perhaps separate, perhaps related question: I have about 32 minutes of interview material, nothing else (no titles, soundtracks or additional material), and the size of the file is over 7 GBs.  Does that sound right?  (The camera IS on DV, not HDV; I just double checked.)

As always, many thanks for help!

Doug

Dwight 2.pngdwight 1.png

• 1. Re: Black frame around video
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Doug

What are you using, Premiere Elements 4 or 10 or other?

For now I will assume Premiere Elements 4.

If you are doing DV Widescreen data capture firewire into Premiere Elements 4, did you set the Premiere Elements 4 project preset for NTSC DV Widescreen? Right now I am assuming that you have.

Then the target is the export settings.

Please give a detailed account for what you used under Share/Personal Computer/_____/ and the settings under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset that you used if you changed any settings under that Advanced Button/Video Tab.

or

Did you export using File Menu/Export/Movie? If so, same request for details.

I suspect the answer(s) are in those settings.

With regard to

A perhaps separate, perhaps related question: I have about 32 minutes of interview material, nothing else (no titles, soundtracks or additional material), and the size of the file is over 7 GBs.  Does that sound right?  (The camera IS on DV, not HDV; I just double checked.)

My recollection is DV data is 13 GB/hour. If I have not messed up on the interpretation, what you have for about 30 minutes sounds about right.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Black frame around video
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Doug,

This article on "black bars in Program Monitor" might also be useful: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3797172#3797172

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Black frame around video
              dswift743 Level 1

Thanks, AT.  Simple fix.  I was not minding my export settings.  I'm in PE 4, and my export settings default to DV standard each time, so I'll have to keep my eye on them.  Thanks.

As for the memory issue, hmmm.  That's got me wondering.  How am I going to get a one hour documentary (at least) with many layers of sound and video in parts, onto a DVD?  Clearly I need to learn more about this.  Anything you can recommend that I should be reading?  I did make a 45 minute film without any trouble a few years ago, but that was DV standard.

Finally, I thought I'd follow up on the banner discussion of a couple weeks ago by showing you an example.  I'm still experimenting.  This size looks a little big to me right now, but I'm settling in on this color and transparency.

Thanks again for all your help.

Dwight bar.png

• 4. Re: Black frame around video
                A.T. Romano Level 7

dswift743

Thanks for the good news that you have worked out the black border issue. Very impressive banner, by the way. Great feathered right edge.

Premiere Elements 4 is a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibity mode of a 64 bit system, and, for 32 bit system, the maximum supported installed RAM is 4.0 GB of which 3.0 or less of that are available.

Keep an eye on the Quality area of the burn dialog for NTSC DV Widescreen (if that is your choice) and Space Required and Bitrate there. If you use a standard DVD-R that is labelled 4.7 GB/120 min. In reality that 4.7 GB = 4.38 GB. And, the typical recommendation "for best results" is not to go over 90 minutes on that type of disc. You could always consider the DVD+R Double Layer (single sided) which is labelled 8.5 GB/240 minutes. That 8.5 GB is in reality 7.95 GB. But, with use of the double layer, make sure your viewers' players will support DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on that double layer disc. My DVD player/recorder that I use with my TV will not.

I will see whatelse I can round up that might be useful to you.

Optimized computer and maintenance on pile ups in the Adobe Folder are essential (previews, conformed audio) and conformed video which is in another location whose path is shown in Edit Menu/Preferences/Media.

ATR