8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2013 1:04 PM by DAndrews1969

Data Merge

rafa@mediatech Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I have to mail merge a postcard. Some of the records have an <<address 2>> and others dont. Is there any way I can tell InDesing, that if the record DOES NOT have <<address 2>>, to NOT make a blank space between <<address 1>> and <<City>>, <<State>> <<ZIP>>? See attached image, I think it makes more sense. Thanks for your help in advanced.

Screen Shot 2013-05-20 at 5.00.16 PM.png

--

Rafa.

• 1. Re: Data Merge
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

There's an option in the merge dialog to Remove Blank Lines.

Keep in mind that a line is only blank though, if it contains nothing but a field with no data. Spaces or punctuation are not "empty."

• 2. Re: Data Merge
            rafa@mediatech Level 1

Peter,

I'll give it a try. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks for your reply.

--

Rafa.

• 3. Re: Data Merge
              DAndrews1969 Level 1

I can get the removal of blank fields to work when the addres is stacked, i.e.

Name

Add 1

Add 2

Town

etc

but my problem is that in some artworks I have to list the addresses in a line, i.e.

Name, Add 1, Add 2, Town, etc.

If there is no Add 2 info I am getting a double space appear, which I can do a search and replace for afterwards, but if you do that, it then removes the data tag which I don't want to do, just in case the data is updated at some point in the future and Add 2 details are included.

Does anybody have any suggestions how I may get around this or cheat my way around it, perhaps using grep styling?

• 4. Re: Data Merge

Styles can't remove data, only modify text formatting, and you can only modify the format for actual text so I don't think this is an option. It's probably scriptable to remove the null fields, but that would mean if the data changes you'd need tor re-run, not update, the merge. I don't find that terribly onerous, but for a really long merge you might.

• 5. Re: Data Merge
                  DAndrews1969 Level 1

There could potentially be around 1500 artworks that will have this scenario, so again I would have to ask anybody, is it possible to remove the double space whilst creating the data merge in the first place.

• 6. Re: Data Merge

The only way to remove "blank data" during a merge is to have it be the only thing on the line, or to rebuild the data source itself so that you are using a concatenated field in that spot.

• 7. Re: Data Merge
                      MW Design Level 4

Aside from scriptable, once the merge happens to a new document and is checked and found good, it looks to me that one could just do a search and replace in the document to snug things up.

Mike

• 8. Re: Data Merge
                        DAndrews1969 Level 1

I think I see what you mean, If I have a column for Add1 and a column for Add2 if I then create a third column in the database and concatenate the two columns together and give it a new independent heading, I can use Add1 and Add2 in the stacked artworks and the concatenated data for copy the flows on and build a comma into the column at the same time.

I will have a play and see what I can figure out.

Thanks for the tip.