3 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2013 11:33 PM by Mylenium

MOV render from AAE (photoJPG 100%) ten times larger than ORIGINAL Nikon D800 MOV file. Why?

senorkasper

Like I stated in the title: MOV render from AAE (photoJPG 100%) ten times larger than ORIGINAL Nikon D800 MOV file. Why?

Any help will be appreciated.

• 1. Re: MOV render from AAE (photoJPG 100%) ten times larger than ORIGINAL Nikon D800 MOV file. Why?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The original file is compressed with MPEG compression using a modified GOP scheme. The codec is barely suitable for recording but not suitable for production. If you were to try and render to this same codec using the same compression you would introduce a lot of color and compression artifacts and seriously degrade your footage.

PhotoJpg codec is nearly lossless and you get all of the information in each frame. No Group of pictures compression. No color sub sampling. Therefore you have a much larger file size.

Once you're finished with your production you can render to a delivery codec like H.264 using the Adobe Media Encoder and get small file sizes again. These delivery codecs are designed for just that, delivery. They are not suitable in a production pipeline.

I'd suggest that you go through the AE help files and read up on rendering and compression. These are basic skills any film maker must posess.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: MOV render from AAE (photoJPG 100%) ten times larger than ORIGINAL Nikon D800 MOV file. Why?
            senorkasper Level 1

Thanks so much for the reply, Rick. I understand the logic of your answer and it makes sense. What intrigues me is that Nikon would use so much compression for a file that should be (at least teheoretically) intended for production and not for delivery. Do you know whether the live stream via HDMI during recording is equally compressed? if not, can it be used for external uncompressed recording?

• 3. Re: MOV render from AAE (photoJPG 100%) ten times larger than ORIGINAL Nikon D800 MOV file. Why?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What intrigues me is that Nikon would use so much compression for a file that should be (at least teheoretically) intended for production and not for delivery.

What makes you think that? Just because everyone does it, DSLR videography was never intended for "production". It merely took on a life on its own after some people started experimenting with it. Anyway, waht kind of stream you camera sends out via HDMI can no doubt be found out by reading the operating manual...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful