1st, general comment
More information needed for someone to help... please click below and provide the requested information
-Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840
2nd, exactly what are you editing?
Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing
For Mac http://mediainspector.massanti.com/
3rd, do you do as below to be sure your sequence and video match?
See 2nd post for picture of NEW ITEM process http://forums.adobe.com/message/3776153
-and a FAQ on sequence setting http://forums.adobe.com/message/3804341
4th, there is a Mac Retina Bug http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1159632
Last, The tutorial list in message #3 http://forums.adobe.com/message/2276578 may help
I use CS6 from Creative cloud and I have no problem of playback. It is very important that your sequence settings match the source. Do you use a lot of effects? color correction? Do you have enough ram? I caught several times my premiere using more than 20gb of Ram...!
I just cut 2 hours of XDCAM HD 50mbps and it playback like butter at full resolution.
Thank you for your reply and I do apologize for the delayed response. Here is some of the info that you requested:
- Premiere Pro 6.0.2
- All recent updates installed.
- Operating system is Mac OS X 10.8.3
- Source footage is AVCHD in .mts container (but even exported .mov files have problems)
- Only error message is when Premiere crashes, in which case it simply says that an error occured, then closes down.
- The problem occurs constantly while trying to edit - both from locally saved files/scratch, or from an external hard drive.
- I actually tried switching to Mercury Playback Cuda - which seemed to improve playback, but render time became atrocious. It took 3-4 minutes to render 19 frames (not sure if this has anything to do with these settings). Prior to this, I was set at "Software Only"... Have yet to try OpenCL.
- Problems occurred with no software running in the background.
- No third party effects or codecs installed.
- Sequence and footage match - I create sequence from clip.
Thanks again for any assistance. I used to edit with Final Cut Pro with no issues, but since they completely changed their editing system, I'm now using Premiere Pro.
15" Retina MCP
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 (4 cores)
16GB of RAM
I tried Mecury Playback OpenCL - playback seem to be much better, though it does still seem a bit tentative...and it did crash once.
As far as the computer is concerned - it only recently came back from Apple, where it was checked up for any issues and came back with a clean bill of health...so I'm curious know if it needs to be set up in a specific way for it to work optimally. Very curious indeed...
Thank you for that information.
An optimized i7 should not have issues with playback of H.264 material.
Maybe test your computer with the PPBM5 benchmark, to see if there are any bottlenecks in it? http://ppbm5.com/
Good luck, and maybe others will have some troubleshooting ideas for you.