4 Replies Latest reply: May 21, 2013 12:04 PM by ahmicelfin RSS

Completed video

ahmicelfin

http://vimeo.com/66616325

The location: an island on a lake in Ontario.

The event: High water made it necessary to check the boathouse for damage.

Equipment:

Canon 20D with intervalometer and tripod. I only included the timelapse gear as an afterthought. The iceout caught me by surprise.

It was the first time I had tried a real timelapse and I couldn't remember the settings, so I had to wing it. I was also rather busy with other things.

1,300 images over 11 hours.

Previous experience: This is my third video edit, and first timelapse.

Software: LRTimelapse + Lightroom to assemble and edit the timelapse sequence

Premiere Elements 11 to assemble the slideshow and timelapse

Photoshop Elements 11 to edit the stills.

What I learned:

-Batch edit still photos in Photoshop to reduce file size before importing to project assets. On a previous video I didn't do this and my laptop got so hot trying to downsample and render that I had to sit it on icepacks. Plus it took 1/2 hour for each render.

-When I got stuck trying to solve a problem, I asked on this forum and received immediate and spot-on help from some very knowlegeable and patient people.

-Audio: Vimeo said they preferred AAC. I right clicked the music in Itunes, convert to AAC, saved to desktop. Premiere had no problem working with these files.

-Uploading to Vimeo: I was expecting to have to go through a list of exporting choices and then save to file and then upload.

The new export to Vimeo (or You Tube etc) feature was great. One file type choice and hit go. It took about 15-20 minutes to upload. This is a real asset.

I know this video is a little rough around the edges, but I had a lot of learning to do and wanted to get one under my belt.

The video was supposed to fade to black. Somehow that got lost.

• 1. Re: Completed video
          Steve Grisetti MVP

Thanks for sharing your experience, ahmicelfin!

• 2. Re: Completed video
            A.T. Romano Community Member

ahmicelfin

Everything regarding your video displayed at Vimeo was very impressive.

Besides the beautiful video, what particularly caught my attention was outstanding job with the transitioning immediately after Next Day. Great effect.

Maybe in this thread or another, you could give more details of how you set up the time lapse in this video and its accompanying audio. I would like to address some comments to that but only after more information on what you did for this presentation.

Your eye for the beauty of nature and your technical skills gave for enjoyable video viewing.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Completed video
              the_wine_snob Community Member

Very well-done.

Thank you for sharing with us. Glad that you did bring the time-lapse gear!

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Completed video
                ahmicelfin Community Member

Glad to give more details.

I shot in Program mode. This was essentially the same as Auto because I had nothing pre-set.

I was in a rush to set up and didn't want to risk losing everything by messing with Manual mode, neutral density filters, etc.

It turned out not to be a bad choice because I ended up shooting in low light. It was a lot darker out than the timelapse shows. The tradeoff was some increased flicker I guess.

Auto focus off, image stabilization off

Exposures went from 1/250 @ f10 to 13 secs @ f3.5.

JPEG in small/fine file size. I didn't want to run out of space on the card. (Turned out I had lots of room)

1 image every 30 secs. It would have been less jerky with a shorter interval, but 1300 images was plenty.

Processing: Back and forth between LRTimelapse and Lightroom. It was all brand new to me so there was a steep learning curve.

Exported to Premiere as mp4 movie.

Audio: I already knew I wanted to use some of the sound track from Koyaanisqatsi, which is in my opinion the most impressive piece of cinematography there is. It really opened my eyes to the possibilities of timelapse, even though, or especially because, it was shot with motion picture film.

The audio was the last thing I added and I didn't take as much care with editing and synching as I should have.

If I did it over I would choose more coherent sections of the clips, apply volume fades, and then time stretch the video to match - easy in this case because there is nothing resembling normal motion in the clips. Maybe learn how to use Beat Detect.

All I know is Glass's music makes a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Here is a fun video I made last winter that taught me what little I know of synching audio and video. I had a Nikon 5200 duct taped to my helmet. www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9ZlbuNDYS8http

I hope I've answered some of your questions.