7 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2013 4:36 PM by Jim_Simon

working with adobe premiere cs6 on multiple computers

jon66x

Hello,

I work in a school and we are currently using premiere cs6. We have a major issue with working on multiple machines that I can't seem to find a solution for online. The problem exists with the media cache. I understand that when opening a very large project for the first time, it will take 20-30 minutes to conform all of the audio and cache all of the mpg files. unfortunately, when working on muliple machines, this can be a bit excessive. Everytime the project is opened on a new machine it takes 20-30 minutes to open the project again. We thought that if we moved the media cache and database folders with us, from machine to machine, that it wouldnot have to cache and conform everything again, but that doesn't seem to be working. Even with all of the cache folders copied from the other machine over to the new one, it still goes through the tedious process of conforming and caching when it is opened on a new computer. How does someone use the software on mulitple machines with out having to go through this excessively long process of opening the project??

• 1. Re: working with adobe premiere cs6 on multiple computers
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you configure your project according to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/919388?tstart=0 AND you make it so your project drive has the same letter on all computers you MAY be able to do what you want

But, I don't know if what I just wrote will help... PPro is really not designed (from what I know as a user) for a multi-user environment

Adobe Anywhere http://www.adobe.com/products/adobeanywhere.html may do what you want... when it is released

• 2. Re: working with adobe premiere cs6 on multiple computers
            Jim_Simon Level 8

How does someone use the software on multiple machines

Generally, we don't.  I'd ask the reverse.  Why are you?

• 3. Re: working with adobe premiere cs6 on multiple computers
              jon66x Level 1

Working on multiple machines is a pretty common workflow. For example, if I have an assistant editor and they are pulling selects and cutting small scenes on their computer, saving premiere project files etc., then they bring the project over to my house (editor) and we need to open up the projects we would have to wait 30 minutes for the project to load. This is a big problem. Also, I work in a school. So we have a lab of 25 computers equipped with Premiere. If a student stores their 45 min movie on their external hard drive, and they come into the lab the next day, they might have to use a different computer if someone is on the one they used the day before. Then, when they open their project, they will have to wait 30 minutes to load the project. I've seen and heard about this issue from many editors. Most of them chose AVID when they migrated away from FCP because of this issue. It is very practical that with a large project with multiple editors, especially with a sequence duration of over 30 minutes, for the project to have to be moved to multiple machines and editors, this is common in the industry. Adobe Anywhere does address this issue, but for right now it is very frustrating to work on large projects with Premiere if we have to open the projects on multiple machines. I feel that this problem is really keeping Premiere from being the best it can be, I've been using Premiere for 10 years and I am a strong advocate for the software. I'm totally confused by this issue coming up now, when Adobe is striving to fill the void of the professional video editing market that was left open when apple released iMovie Pro.

• 4. Re: working with adobe premiere cs6 on multiple computers
                jon66x Level 1

Thanks for that link, but I'm afraid it doesn't address the issues I'm talking about. I'm also very suprised by that article's workflow suggestion. It breaks the rules that are listed on Adobe's website of a suggested workflow: being that you should always export files to a different HDD than the one with your source material. That will cut down exporting time a lot. It mentions to do this later, but only as a suggestion. So it appears that the workflow that is illustrated on this link is only great for a small project under 10 minutes, reading and writing to the same drive (yikes). It also doesn't mention anything about the cache files. the cache files are a huge part of the new premiere workflow and I believe are the main issue that I'm dealing with.

• 5. Re: working with adobe premiere cs6 on multiple computers
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I do not work for Adobe, so all I can say is what I have "gleaned" from reading a lot of forum messages (which is MY understanding, so may be wrong)

Premiere Pro is NOT specifically designed for collaboration...it is designed for one person on one computer doing all of a project

While moving a project to different computers does work, PPro is not optimized for such, including your issue of re-conforming the files

Adobe Anywhere SEEMS to be Adobe's move into shared projects... I don't do such, so really have not done much reading, I only have a saved link

You need to tell Adobe what you want at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 6. Re: working with adobe premiere cs6 on multiple computers
                    Shadreck Rukweza Level 2

I used to do that with CS4 but never had Premiere to conform everything every time I launch it on a different machine. By then we used Mac Pros and Imacs on a network and I could open my project from any imac without having to conform anything because everything was saved on my user area. What you may need is to save the source files and the media cache on the same external HD and when you connect it to your PC, launch Premiere Pro first and point the media cache to that folder on your external HDD, then you can load your project locating the media from the external media. Probably this may reduce your loading times. Good luck anyway.

• 7. Re: working with adobe premiere cs6 on multiple computers
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

if I have an assistant editor and they are pulling selects and cutting small scenes on their computer

You might try using Prelude instead.  It was designed just for that type of work flow.  It might save you some headache on this.

But you're right, large scale work flows with multiple editors is not something PP currently handles exceptionally well.  Given Adobe's track record on feature implementation these past few years, it does seem like they're going after the bigger markets, so it also seems likely that they will get around to making PP more useful in collaborative work flows at some point.  Be sure to let them know you want it.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform