7 Replies Latest reply: May 24, 2013 8:11 AM by Stan Jones RSS

How do I burn a DVD for Replication?

Tom Estrada

I can't seem to find out how to set Encore CS6 in a "Burn at once" mode. My replication company says the DVD I had sent them had packets and can't be replicated. The DVD can be duplicated just is fine. I also tried outputting as DDP, but they said there were missing files. How many files are there supposed to be in a DDP output? My output to DDP produced a CONTROL.DAT, DDPID, and MAIN.DAT file. The duplicating company said I needed to provide DDPID, DDPMS, IMAGE.DAT, PQDESCR, and CONTROL.DAT files.  Talking with Adobe for two hours  produced no answers or results.

• 2. Re: How do I burn a DVD for Replication?
          Tom Estrada Community Member

Thanks, Stan! I had read through the threads and didn't find a answer that pertained to my particular problem. I have since reviseed my project and am trudging on. I was told by the replicator that adding additional PDF's to the DVD caused the packet problems that prohibited replication, so I left them off and added a link to them on the sleeve. There's more than one way to skin a cat! I appreciate your speedy reply- thanks again!

• 3. Re: How do I burn a DVD for Replication?
            Stan Jones MVP

I was told by the replicator that adding additional PDF's to the DVD caused the packet problems that prohibited replication, ...

For anyone else looking to this in the future, do you mean you added acrobat files as part of rom content? Or where in Encore?

Another method for simple putting the text for a link on the jacket (or in addition to), is to add a menu with the text and simple add a "back to main menu" button. Then link to that menu from one or more menus with a button "Resources" or such.

• 4. Re: How do I burn a DVD for Replication?
              Tom Estrada Community Member

Yes- I had added three pdf's as part of DVD Rom Content. By doing so (I'm told) it caused Encore CS6 to write/burn the DVD in packets. I'm not a technician and looked everywhere to try and find out how to do the burn in a "Disk at once" mode as instructed by the facility engineer, I know I can do that coming out of Premier Pro, but that's usually for a single video that plays on first run... at least that's my experience. But, once in Encore, I couldn't find any such option. It also didn't help that I was using Encore CS6 and the engineer was using CS2. I also tried outputting via DDP as suggested as a option on the facilitie's web site, but in doing that, there were apparently missing files that caused errors on their end. I tried seeking help from Adobe, and after several hours of chatting/phone/being put on hold/phone, I ultimately got disconnected from the person who was attempting to help me (I never did understand the name he was giving me). I gave up at this point and reverted to my final option of doing away with the PDF's and posting a link to them on the DVD sleeve. None of this would have been a problem if we had gone with duplication vs. replication, but that was not a option on runs over 500 units. I hope I've explained my adventure today so that, hopefully, others won't encounter the same problem.

• 5. Re: How do I burn a DVD for Replication?
                Stan Jones MVP

Thanks for adding that.

No idea if it would help, but IF they could use a regular DVD, I would try building an iso and burning with imgburn where you might be able to control that.

The burn from Premiere Pro ended with CS3 or so. You can send from PR to Encore, but Encore still does the process.

• 6. Re: How do I burn a DVD for Replication?
                  neil wilkes MVP

Stan Jones wrote:

(Neil, you out there? Ha, ha!)

I surely am.

The replication company are perfectly correct here - there are indeed missing files.

I am not 100% certain here but am not convinced Encore can handle DVD-Video enhanced format properly - if you need to try this again I can highly recommend building the replication master with GEAR Pro Mastering Edition - this will give you 30 days fully functional operation in trial mode, and it IS capable of correctly formatting for replication via DDP image.

DDP is better than written playable discs simply because there are automatic checksums applied (you are missing the PQ Descriptor file and the MDS Checksum file). The Checksum can be created after the event using a tool such as the superb HKSFV application. See here for a full description of the DDP protocols. DDP has checks against corrupted data in the way that playable discs do not have.

They are simply wrong about PQDESCR though - this is a substream information file for PQ coding, which is CD-DA and not DVD.....what you should get in a DVD DDP layer is as follows:

CHECKSUM.TXT

CONTROL.DAT

DDPID

IMAGE.DAT

For Dual layer discs, you get the above in Layer 0 and in Layer 1 you will be missing CONTROL.DAT as it is already there in the Layer 0 folders.

Hope this helps in future - I feel a sticky article coming on.....

• 7. Re: How do I burn a DVD for Replication?
                    Stan Jones MVP

I feel a sticky article coming on.....

Hear, hear!