7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2013 3:50 PM by the_wine_snob

Duplicating Sequences

stevedross Level 1

How do I duplicate a sequence in Premiere Elements 11 so I can make changes, but revert back to the original if I choose to do so?

Thanks

Steve

• 1. Re: Duplicating Sequences
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's not clear what you're asking.

You can copy and paste a sequence on your timeline, if that's what you're asking. And changes you make to one copy will not affect the other.

• 2. Re: Duplicating Sequences
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

PrE does not have Sequences, like PrPro does. It has only one Timeline per Project.

Consequently, there are no Sequences to Import, or Paste another into.

The workaround for this is edit the one Project, until you feel you want to experiment, but might wish to get back to that point. Then, do a Save_As. This creates a new Project, exactly like the first one, at that moment in time. Give it a unique name, say My_Project_02. The Save_As does two things, creates the new Project, but keeps IT Open on your screen. Edit, as you desire. Should you need to go back, you have that original Project, in the exact state that it was in, when you did the Save_As.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Duplicating Sequences
              A.T. Romano Level 7

stevedross

If you think it would not be too confusing, you could create your "sequence" which I am interpreting as section of a project already worked through

a. use the mouse cursor to make a selection around that group

b. with the group highlighted, Edit Menu/Copy

c. Move Timeline Indicator to far right out of your immediate working area, then Edit/Paste

I am not sure about the relative merits of the choices, but File Menu/Save A Copy seems comparable to File Menu/Save As. I would get the same effective end result when that type of save was indicated. Depending on how I have interpreted your question, I do not believe you need to introduce either in what I think you want to do.

If indicated, the classical concept of working with a large project in smaller segments could be looked at.

Please review and let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Duplicating Sequences
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I am not sure about the relative merits of the choices, but File Menu/Save A Copy seems comparable to File Menu/Save As. I would get the same effective end result when that type of save was indicated. Depending on how I have interpreted your question, I do not believe you need to introduce either in what I think you want to do.

ATR,

You are correct - they are very similar. The one difference is that with Save_As, that Projcet stays Open, and its name changes, per the user's rename choice. With Save_As_a_Copy, the original Project (with its original name) stays open, but the Save_As_a_Copy version, is Saved to the HDD. Similar, but with that one difference.

Were I planning on continuing to work on my Project, but wanted to leave the original untouched, just in case, I would choose Save_As. If I wanted to have a backup copy, then Save_As_a_Copy would be my choice. Either way would work, depending on exactly what the user wants to do, and the timing of doing so.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Duplicating Sequences
                  stevedross Level 1

When you do this, doesn't it re-save the media as well. In Avid, you can create as many sequences in the same project as you like without it duplicating the original media. I guess that's what I'm trying to do.

Thanks for your help!

Steve

• 6. Re: Duplicating Sequences
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

In Premiere Pro there is the concept of sequences, not in Premiere Elements. And, in Premiere Elements, there is only one project preset per project.

If I am following what I think you want to do, then I suspect the closest to that would be what I suggested

you could create your "sequence" which I am interpreting as section of a project already worked through

a. use the mouse cursor to make a selection around that group

b. with the group highlighted, Edit Menu/Copy

c. Move Timeline Indicator to far right out of your immediate working area, then Edit/Paste

If you wanted to juggle several projects representing spins offs of the original, then you would resort to the File Menu/Save A Copy.

Each copy should trace back to the same originals on the computer hard drive. Although each traces back to the computer hard drive originals, each would have unique edits of the copies of the originals. So, I am not clear on what you mean by duplicating the original. Each project copy is working off the same originals as far as I am understanding what you are saying. You do not have originals in the project, just copies.

Are you talking about Avid in the context that it is allowing you to work on media in the same project with more than one project setting available in that one project?

Please advise where I am misinterpreting that which you seek. Right now it sounds like you are trying to get sequence feature of AVID and Premiere Pro from Premiere Elements.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 7. Re: Duplicating Sequences
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

As ATR points out, the Project files (PREL's) will NOT contain any media, but only links to where that media was, on your system, when you Imported it. This article goes into a bit more detail on the PREL files, and what is in them: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3397716#3397716

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt