9 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2013 10:39 AM by station_two

Jeff Schewe's latest ACR/Digital Negative book listing on Amazon *hacked* to mock CC subscription???

Level 5

Went to Amazon.com web sitein order to comment on the tiny dark-UI screen shots illustrations and some illegibly set color type printed on colored screens in Jeff Schewe's latest ACR-related Book, "The Digital Negative", earlier today and was startled to see this at the top of the results on a search on the keywords Schewel negative:

Amazon_Schewe_for_rent.png

It looks like some people unhappy with Adobe's decision to go to a subscription mode hacked into the Amazon site and hacked it in order to Mock Adobe through Mr. Schewe.

At least I can find no other explanation.  Pleasse correct me if I'm missing something.

Regarding my disappointment with the book, I'll just point out that I have consistently and unabashed championed and promoted Mr. Schewe's exemplary Real World Camera Raw efforts in these forums, and it saddens me that my poor vision prevents me from being able to se those illegible type and illustration elements in this new work. 

• 1. Re: Jeff Schewe's latest ACR/Digital Negative book listing on Amazon *hacked* to mock CC subscription???
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

I just checked...look normal to me...

station_two wrote:

Regarding my disappointment with the book, I'll just point out that I have consistently and unabashed championed and promoted Mr. Schewe's exemplary Real World Camera Raw efforts in these forums, and it saddens me that my poor vision prevents me from being able to se those illegible type and illustration elements in this new work. 

Well, sorry if your vision is suboptimal...are you looking at the printed book or an ebook? The only bood ebook version I've seen is the PDF from Peachpit. If it's the printed book, exactly whar figures can't you see well enough?

• 2. Re: Jeff Schewe's latest ACR/Digital Negative book listing on Amazon *hacked* to mock CC subscription???
            Level 5

Jeff Schewe wrote:

I just checked...look normal to me...

Well, sorry if your vision is suboptimal...are you looking at the printed book or an ebook? … If it's the printed book, exactly whar figures can't you see well enough?

Oh, the printed paper-back of course (ISBN-13:978-0-321-83957-2 / ISBN-10:0-321-83957-9 on the back cover), starting with all—and I do mean all—the screen=shot illustrations of various dark-UI-interface windows and dialog boxes.  (I'll append a list of some random sample pages and figure numbers below.)

I'm not surprised they look "normal to you".  As the author not only are you intimately familiar with the originals they represent and know their content and text practically by heart.

I'll openly and sincerely admit that my vision is suboptimal, as you politely phrase it. Not just by virtue of more than seven decades of intense use in varied intellectual efforts, but also as a consequence of several irreversible chronic medical conditions with which I have struggled for the last nine years or so.

I've had the book since the middle of January, and in that time period I have been hospitalized twice, first with an acute anaphylactic allergic reaction to some shellfish-containing dish that was slipped to me under false pretenses at a Chinese restaurant in the SF Bay area in March, and currently I happen to be battling acute pneumonia and bacterial bronchitis, for both of which occasions I've been receiving intensive bursts of Prednisone treatment, a pharmaceutical known to wreak havoc on type-2 diabetics like myself, including vision changes.

However, I assure you that the only standards I have been comparing this Digital Negative book to are the typography and illustrations of your previous Camera Raw books, up to and including "Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS4".

I have brand new prescription glasses, separately for (1) distance, (2) computer work, (3) reading and (4) extreme close-up readers.  I can read most other books with number 3 (normal readers) and I have attempted reading The Digital Negative with the same number 3 and even number 4, the extreme close-up prescription, and while holding a desk lamp with a FEIT pure-white bulb a few inches from the page, and even under the Solux lamp at my printing viewing station.

In no way whatsoever do I mean any disrespect to you personally, I just think that this time Peachpit Press has done you a great disservice with their printing of the book.

It would be highly presumptuous of yours truly to elaborate further on this, so I'll just list a few of the examples you request in my next post, which I hope will happen within the next hour or so, before or shortly after midnight in the West Coast.

Thank you so much for your gracious reply.

Message was edited by: station_two, after this post #2 was restored to the thread, since it had disappeared for a while.  The one now marked post #3 was initially posted before the restoration and was indeed marked #2, while this one was MIA.  I have a screen shot of that sequence.

• 3. Re: Jeff Schewe's latest ACR/Digital Negative book listing on Amazon *hacked* to mock CC subscription???
              Level 5

Wow, I have just lost a good 30-minutes of typing under very stressful health circumstances, by virtue of a gren message warning me that my post will have to be approved by a moderator prior to posting.

It was a most respectful and complimentary post, incidentally.  It just disappeared in a puff!

Is it still there for you, or is it just gone?

• 4. Re: Jeff Schewe's latest ACR/Digital Negative book listing on Amazon *hacked* to mock CC subscription???
                Level 5

Alright, I think I'd better cease and desist for now.  I won't  try to reply or edit an existing post until I know what will happen.  My original reply #2 keeps disappearing and reappearing, then disappearing once again when I attempt to edit it by finishing incomplete sentenes and/or paragraphs, as it had originally disappeared when I was still typing.  Post #3 changes its number from #2 to #3 and back to #2 again.

I have no idea if this one will stick or not.

I'll try again after a good night's sleep, if I still may.

• 5. Re: Jeff Schewe's latest ACR/Digital Negative book listing on Amazon *hacked* to mock CC subscription???
                  Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Your reply used some keywords (innocently) that are on the auto-moderation list as they're commonly found in spam posts - that is why they seemed to vanish.

• 6. Re: Jeff Schewe's latest ACR/Digital Negative book listing on Amazon *hacked* to mock CC subscription???
                    gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes, it's there.  Cute.

Just grabbed the Kindle version, Jeff.    It's on its way to the iPad 3.

Gene

Screen Shot 2013-05-23 at 12.41.53 AM.png

• 7. Re: Jeff Schewe's latest ACR/Digital Negative book listing on Amazon *hacked* to mock CC subscription???
                      Conrad C Adobe Community Professional & MVP

station_two wrote:

It looks like some people unhappy with Adobe's decision to go to a subscription mode hacked into the Amazon site and hacked it in order to Mock Adobe through Mr. Schewe.

At least I can find no other explanation.  Pleasse correct me if I'm missing something.

The explanation appears to be that Amazon lets you rent some books now. A rental option is turning up on some books that don't name Adobe at all.

Amazon_rent.jpg

• 8. Re: Jeff Schewe's latest ACR/Digital Negative book listing on Amazon *hacked* to mock CC subscription???
                        Level 5

Perhaps so, but when I clicked on the appropriate link for that "rental" option next to Jeff's book listing, I was just taken to straight-purchase offerings with no further mention of "to rent".

Also, it was funny to read that the "for rent" price was some $4 higher than the outright purchase, which reinforced my impression that it was all in jest.

Amazon_Schewe_for_rent.png

In the example shown in your post, the rental is almost as high as the "perpetual" sale. 

Thanks for pointing out that other book listings are affected too.