8 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2013 7:41 AM by ECBowen

nVidia Geforce GTX Titan compatibility

ZackatSUMOFilms

Right now I'm using CS5 and want to upgrade to CS6.  I would much rather upgrade my card and my software rather than just the video card. Before I buy the new nVidia Geforce GTX Titan for my system, I would like to know it will be compatible. I haven't seen it on the list of suggested cards, but it is fairly new. It seems to be the card to get, but the Quadro 6000 is what is recommended. The specs for the 6000 seems to be far lower (by over half) than the Titan, so I am not sure why I would buy it, except that it is definitely compatible with other nVidia Pro Video cards. I don't use SDI since I am using cards to shoot video and I use my computer for Post-Production. I also use Blender 2.66 for 3D design and animation in conjunction with AE and Premiere to clean up, edit and render out video. I am using a Quadro FX 5800 for my video card, but it is quickly becoming a dinosaur, which is pretty amazing to me that it lasted this long in the tech world.  I realize this seems like an nVidia question, but it straddles both companies. Since nVidia has worked closely with Adobe for so long, I was just wondering if anyone knows. The Titan seems to run circles around the 6000 for half the price. How I would end up using the Titan would be as an engine and use the 5800 as the display card to allow the card to be maximized.

• 1. Re: nVidia Geforce GTX Titan compatibility
          Jeff A Wright Adobe Employee

Moving this discussion to the Hardware forum.

• 2. Re: nVidia Geforce GTX Titan compatibility
            Harm Millaard Level 7

The Titan works great and is indeed clearly faster than a Quadro K5000 and way faster than a Quadro 6000. But...

It only makes sense in a system with at least:

• An overclocked i7-39xx CPU (4.5+ GHz) or dual Xeon E5-2687W, plus
            • At least 64 GB DDR3-2100+ icw the i7 or 64+ GB for the dual E5-2687W, and
            • A disk array capable of 800+ MB/s sustained transfer rate, and
            • At least 12 MB L3 cache per CPU.

If the system is not up to that, the Titan is a waste of money, because it is continually held back in performance by the other components. Even if all requirements are met, the performance difference between a GTX 680 and a Titan is rather small but the price difference is big. And sell the Quadro FX 5800. You don't want to mix GeForce and Quadro in a single system. All 650+ cards can steer up to 4 monitors, so get rid of that dinosaur.

Also see What video card?

• 3. Re: nVidia Geforce GTX Titan compatibility
              ZackatSUMOFilms Level 1

Thanks! I've been trying to shop around or build my own edit suite. Right now my system is quickly getting out of date. I need to configure a system that's going to be able to last another few years. I wish this one had lasted more than 3... Right now this is where I'm at:

• ASUS Rampage III Motherboard (BIOS can be upgraded to allow for i7 990X)
              • i7 950
              • 8GB DDR3 (can be upgraded to 24GB)
              • nVidia Quadro FX 5800 (what I thought would be a good idea)
              • ASUS Xonar Essence ST
              • 6 x 300GB WD 10k RPM striped

If I upgrade the BIOS and put in an i7 990X and upgrade the Memory to 24GB of DDR3 2200 would that at least hold off having to build a new system from scratch?

• 4. Re: nVidia Geforce GTX Titan compatibility
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Make it easier on yourself:

1. Overclock the 950 to around 4.0 - 4.4 GHz (free and maybe somewhat faster than a 990 at stock speed)
                2. Increase memory to 24 GB (most likely cannot be ported to a new system)
                3. Get a GTX 650 Ti Boost or better (can be ported to a new system)
                4. Get a Samsung 840 Pro 128 or 256 GB SSD for OS & programs (can be ported to a new system)

Tune your system and you can have a very good performing system. My old i7-920 (OC 3.7) with 24 GB and a GTX 480 is still ranked # 49 overall and # 7 in RPI. See PPBM5 Benchmark. Ensure good backups for that 6 x Raid0 array, you are running a major risk here, although it is fast (600+ MB/s).

The alternative is to start building a new system and this may give you some ideas: Intro Part 1 including the pages that follow.

• 5. Re: nVidia Geforce GTX Titan compatibility
                  ZackatSUMOFilms Level 1

Thanks Harm! Looks like I can upgrade the memory with 24GB of G. Skill Ripjaw series DDR3 1600 for about $200. The i7 can be upgraded to the 990X for about $1000 (and overclocked less than my 950) and the nVidia card upgrade to the Titan for about $1100. Include the $375 for the upgrade to CS6 and I'm under $2700. I realize that this system won't fully utilize the capability of the video card, but I don't want to spend the absolutely ridiculous amount to get an entirely new build until I can afford it. Right now I'm running into the wall of losing functionality due to the CUDA compute model and Direct X being unsupported in the newer software. This may not be perfect, but it's what I can afford right now. Thanks!

• 6. Re: nVidia Geforce GTX Titan compatibility
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Just wondering if you read my reply ?

Looks like I can upgrade the memory with 24GB of G. Skill Ripjaw series DDR3 1600 for about $200.

Looks like a good plan.

The i7 can be upgraded to the 990X for about $1000 (and overclocked less than my 950)

and overclocking the 950 to 4.0 - 4.4 GHZ is free, saves you around $ 1000 and is about equally fast.

and the nVidia card upgrade to the Titan for about $1100.

which is absolute overkill on this system. You will not notice the difference with a 660 Ti for around $ 250.

Include the $375 for the upgrade to CS6 and I'm under $2700.

AFAIK the upgrade from CS5.5 to CS6 is $ 525 in the US and around $ 900 in Europe.

If you follow my advise, the total cost is $ 200 + $ 0 + $ 250 + $ 525 = $ 975.

That saving goes a long way for a new system, but you still would have to get that Samsung 840 Pro SSD.

• 7. Re: nVidia Geforce GTX Titan compatibility
                      ZackatSUMOFilms Level 1

My OS drive is an SSD already (Crucial C300 128 GB [sustained Read 355MB/s & Write 140 MB/s], but that was 4 years ago), but it is definitely slower than the Samsung by leaps and bounds. My media drives are the 10k RPM SATA array. Sorry for the confusion there. I see your reasoning on the rest. I was thinking that I could use the new i7 in another computer build and the Titan much later down the road. But, after looking at what this MOBO is capable of, even after updating the BIOS and maxing out everything it would cost a lot and still not get me much further than your solution. Hopefully with these upgrades I can get a few gigs and build a new high-end system! Thanks again!

• 8. Re: nVidia Geforce GTX Titan compatibility
                        ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The Titan shows a performance difference with Red Media only so far that I have seen. Likely that is due to frame resolutions greater than 1080P. DDR3 ram with speeds greater than 1600 do not show any major improvement currently.

Eric

ADK