34 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2013 8:52 AM by conroy

Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel problem

chaddurham Level 1

Hi.

I have identified a major problem using CS6.

When nudging folders (filled with layers) around in Photoshop. Holding the shift key at the same time as pressing an arrow usaully nugdes content 10 pixels. However, pressing the arrow key in quick succession, for example 4 times, it will only nudge content 39 pixels or 41 pixels. Pressing the arrow key, say 10 times, quickly would result in only a 95 pixel movement.

Opening the same (80mb) file in CS5 and performing the same test, nudges a ... perfect 10 everytime..

I am a ux visual designer working on major household clients and my PSDs need to be pixel perfect before passing to development. Anything out of place would be highlighted and ultimately would make me look like a novice.

The files are not big. They are for the web. I use CS6 (v 13.0.4) and a 2.7 Ghz Intel Core i7 Macbook Retina with 16GB RAM and SSD. Currently the fastest Macbook you can buy!

• 1. Re: Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel MAJOR BUG
          Level 5

This may well be one—or yet another one—of those unresolved issues with the Retina screens.  It could well be that the lack of responses to your post indicates there won't be full Retina support until CC (Photoshop 14.x) is released on June 17, at the earliest.

If you care to upload (e.g. to Dropbox or yousendit.com) a sample file on which you can replicate the issue, then others who don't have a Retina display can see if they can reproduce this anomaly on their system.

• 2. Re: Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel MAJOR BUG
            chaddurham Level 1

Hello. Perhaps it is a retina problem but really this is a major flaw. I've created a new test file and can confirm I am still having the same issues. Pressing the shift+ arrow key 10 times quickly results in only a 99 pixel movement.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1571567/10_PIXEL_test_file.psd

Can other retina users test the same problem using the file above.

• 3. Re: Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel MAJOR BUG
              Level 5

Downloaded your file and played around with it at 100%, 200%, 400% and 800% on three different non-Retina monitors, namely the built in screen of an Intel Core 2 Duo 2 MacBook2,1, which runs Photoshop 13.0.4 under Snow Leopard 10.6.8, as well as on two external, high-end 22" CRT external dual side-by-side monitors.

I was not able to replicate your issue at all by moving the indicated folder in increments of one-pixel and ten-pixel respectively, displacing the elements variously by steps of one or ten nudges.  The displacement was always precisely as expected.

Your layered PSD file, presumably created in Ps CS6, will not open on previous versions of Photoshop without flattening, so testing that behavior in earlier versions of Photoshop would have been an exercise in futility.

Unfortunately, I do not have a Retina screen on which to test this.

However, I do suspect that it is the current lack of support of the Retina screens by Photoshop that is at the root of your problem.  If you do a forum search on retina cox, you're bound to find earlier threads where Photoshop guru Chris Cox—who has been writing Photoshop code since the last millennium —has touched on the problem.

When viewing the file at 400% and 800% I was immediately struck by your placement of the left-most element in the movable folder in your file off by one pixel to the right of the guide to begin with, which seemed odd, and that leads me to speculate  that Ps CS6 on your system did not deal properly with the characteristics of your Retina display (guru Cox writes about double pixels or some such phenomenon that I, as an old geezer very much partial to CRTs over LCDs and LEDs, frankly have made no effort to wrap my head around) and interfered with an accurate drawing or creation of either the guides or the graphic elements.  Again this is just my worthless, uneducated speculation as to what is going on here.

Let's hope Mr. Cox chimes in soon.

• 4. Re: Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel MAJOR BUG
                Level 5

chaddurham wrote:

…Opening the same (80mb) file in CS5…

How did you manage to do that? 

Maybe that 80-MB file did not have elements or layers created with some of the new features of CS6, as the 24-MB one you uploaded for the forum in your Dropbox link? 

• 5. Re: Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel MAJOR BUG
                  conroy Level 5

station_two wrote:

Your layered PSD file, presumably created in Ps CS6, will not open on previous versions of Photoshop without flattening [...]

Maybe you chose to open it flattened.

It can be opened as a layered document in CS5. However, the rectangular Shape layers are rasterized because their stroke attribute doesn't exist in CS5.

• 6. Re: Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel MAJOR BUG
                    conroy Level 5

chaddurham wrote:

I am a ux visual designer working on major household clients and my PSDs need to be pixel perfect before passing to development. Anything out of place would be highlighted and ultimately would make me look like a novice.

Consider locking your guides after carefully setting them up (Shift key snaps them to ruler marks), because many are not perfectly aligned to the pixel grid. For example, there are vertical guides at about 280.2, 539.5, 700.1, 860.2 and 941.6 pixels, with that last one being out by more than a pixel.

• 7. Re: Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel MAJOR BUG
                      Noel Carboni Level 8

I'm unable to move it in anything other than 10 pixel increments with Shift - Arrow Keys.

Are you waiting until it moves before typing the key again?  On a Windows system extra keystrokes typed ahead of the movement are simply lost.  In other words, if I hit the arrow key 10 times really fast (with the shift key being held down), the layer may only move 20 or 30 pixels.

I have a suspicion, though I don't have a Mac, that your system is queuing up your keystrokes rather than throwing them away.  If that's the case, the modifier key, in this case Shift, MAY be being interpreted at the time of the movement of the object, rather than when you queued up the keystrokes.

Try this experiment:  Hold down the shift key, press the arrow key repeatedly, then continue to hold down the shift key until the movement is completed.  Do you see exact increments of 10 pixels in this case?

If my theory is right, I don't know of a workaround other than waiting for your system to catch up and complete the movements before continuing work.  There have been some layer movement speed improvements in the latest versions of the software, though even with Photoshop CC 14.0 it's easy to get ahead of the system with your test document.

-Noel

• 8. Re: Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel MAJOR BUG
                        Level 5

conroy wrote:

station_two wrote:

Your layered PSD file, presumably created in Ps CS6, will not open on previous versions of Photoshop without flattening [...]

Maybe you chose to open it flattened.

It can be opened as a layered document in CS5. However, the rectangular Shape layers are rasterized because their stroke attribute doesn't exist in CS5.

Nope, I chose not to open it at all after CS5 and CS4 gave me a loud warning dialog box to the effect that the file contained elements that made it impossible to open unless it was flattened first and gave me an option to do that on the fly for me or to cancel the dialog box.  I obviously canceled it, perhaps because there was no hint of "selective" flattening or rasterizing.  Of course, I could have misread the dialog box too.

• 9. Re: Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel MAJOR BUG
                          conroy Level 5

station_two wrote:

Of course, I could have misread the dialog box too.

I think you must have.

• 11. Re: Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel MAJOR BUG
                            conroy Level 5

Yep, I don't know why station_two could not see the Keep Layers button - it's as big as the two that he did see.

• 12. Re: Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel MAJOR BUG
                              Level 5

I saw it.  If you can't understand that I would have no interest in performing the requested test on a file that had some data discarded, it's not worth explaining it further to you, conroy.  </shaking head in disbelief…>

• 13. Re: Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel MAJOR BUG
                                Level 5

Noel Carboni wrote:

ScreenGrab_05_23_2013_172915.png

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to make that screen shot and post it for me to confirm that I had seen enough in that dialog box to realize that it would be futile to open it in CS5 or earlier.

• 14. Re: Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel MAJOR BUG
                                  conroy Level 5

Rubbish! You said that a warning informed you that the file could not be opened unless it was flattened.

Your exact words:

"CS5 and CS4 gave me a loud warning dialog box to the effect that the file contained elements that made it impossible to open unless it was flattened first"

See your phrase "impossible to open unless it was flattened first"? Or is that now invisible like the Keep Layers button was?

• 15. Re: Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel MAJOR BUG
                                    Level 5

Same difference… 

conroy wrote:

Your exact words:

"CS5 and CS4 gave me a loud warning dialog box to the effect that the file contained elements that made it impossible to open ** ****** unless it was flattened first"

Just insert the two words "it intact" between open and unless, where the asterisks are.

Get a life!  You're as simplistic, as pedantic and as coarse as any Aussie from the Outback I've ever run across.

Once you mentioned that you thought there was some medication that would help me cope with you.  Now would be a good time for you to take it, just to see whether it really makes you a little more sufferable. 

Thanks in advance.

• 16. Re: Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel MAJOR BUG
                                      chaddurham Level 1

Noel Carboni wrote:

Try this experiment:  Hold down the shift key, press the arrow key repeatedly, then continue to hold down the shift key until the movement is completed.  Do you see exact increments of 10 pixels in this case?

Thanks for your suggestion. Alas I can confirm that holding the shift key until the movement has completed did not solve the issue.

• 17. Re: Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel MAJOR BUG
                                        chaddurham Level 1

conroy wrote:

Consider locking your guides after carefully setting them up (Shift key snaps them to ruler marks), because many are not perfectly aligned to the pixel grid. For example, there are vertical guides at about 280.2, 539.5, 700.1, 860.2 and 941.6 pixels, with that last one being out by more than a pixel.

Thanks for your suggestion. I wasn't really using these guides in this experiment as I was paying more attention to the red 10pixel baseline grid. Good tip though! I'll use this in future.

Thanks

• 18. Re: Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel MAJOR BUG
                                          chaddurham Level 1

station_2 blunt_meanswell wrote:

I was not able to replicate your issue at all by moving the indicated folder in increments of one-pixel and ten-pixel respectively, displacing the elements variously by steps of one or ten nudges.  The displacement was always precisely as expected.

Unfortunately, I do not have a Retina screen on which to test this.

Let's hope Mr. Cox chimes in soon.

I've yet to test the file on a non-retina CS6. But can confirm that the problem persists if the file is open at 100% on either the Macbook LCD or seperate Apple LCD display plugged into the thunderbolt.

• 19. Re: Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel MAJOR BUG
                                            Noel Carboni Level 8

Did you see post number 7?

-Noel

• 20. Re: Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel MAJOR BUG
                                              conroy Level 5

You're as simplistic, as pedantic and as coarse as any Aussie from the Outback I've ever run across.

No wonder you've been banned from this forum several times. Oh, and why are you insulting Australians in this thread and at least one other recently? Why Australians of all people?

• 21. Re: Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel MAJOR BUG
                                                conroy Level 5

Same difference… 

conroy wrote:

Your exact words:

"CS5 and CS4 gave me a loud warning dialog box to the effect that the file contained elements that made it impossible to open ** ****** unless it was flattened first"

Please do not deceitfully alter the content of quotes with unbracketed edits. There were no asterisks in the original. You're heading for another ban. Go cool off.

• 22. Re: Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel MAJOR BUG
                                                  chaddurham Level 1

Noel Carboni wrote:

Did you see post number 7?

-Noel

Yes, I'm not waiting for the movement first. I'm queing up keystrokes. It's worked like that since Photoshop 4 in the late 90s. Why would they change it now? Of course it still queues the presses up, sometimes it moves in 10pixel chunks, sometimes just 8pixels.

• 23. Re: Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel MAJOR BUG
                                                    Level 5

Of course there were no asterisks in the original! I inserted them there to indicate where the implied but missing words were; just for your benefit, son…  Duh  

Of course, you'd need an IQ above room temperature in degrees Celsius to grasp that, but if you were at that level, none of these explanations would be necessary.

Lately, you have had your substantial share of moderator-edited posts and even censored and deleted threads yourself, so don't parade around hysterically and sanctimoniously like a ******* who just ate a cactus.

You're the one that has been picking on a number of forum users, not just me, and some of them have called for you to be banned.

You're just trying to create a distraction after you've exposed yourself and revealed your true nature.

I'm very comfortable with the hosts exercising their prerogatives as forum bouncers whenever they see fit, and they all know it.  I have never complained or made a fuss about their editing and banning actions—unlike you.  They will tell you that.

• 24. Re: Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel MAJOR BUG
                                                      Noel Carboni Level 8

chaddurham wrote:

Yes, I'm not waiting for the movement first. I'm queing up keystrokes. It's worked like that since Photoshop 4 in the late 90s. Why would they change it now? Of course it still queues the presses up, sometimes it moves in 10pixel chunks, sometimes just 8pixels.

I wasn't so much trying to imply that there's been a change, but (with some inside knowledge of how software works) I've been trying to determine if maybe someone neglected to include the "Shift Key is Down" indication with the queued keystroke.  That would cause some of the queued strokes to only bump the image 1 pixel instead of 10.

Sorry to be persistent, but did you try the experiment where you wait for the system to catch up before releasing the Shift key?

-Noel

• 25. Re: Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel MAJOR BUG
                                                        conroy Level 5

station_two,

Yes, I know why you inserted asterisks. My complaint was that you did so without accompanying the edit with a note in brackets. Your editing style may deceive other readers.

And yes, I have complained about my posts being edited and deleted by moderators when I've discussed Ps CS6 icons or other problems with Adobe software. Please try to keep your comments about me in context instead of apparently trying to deceive readers.

• 26. Re: Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel MAJOR BUG
                                                          Level 5

You are delusional if you think I have any intention of paying attention to your remarks.

• 27. Re: Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel MAJOR BUG
                                                            conroy Level 5

ROFLMA

The best laugh today, so far!

"You are delusional if you think I have any intention of paying attention to your remarks."

Delusional?

You're not only paying attention, you're replying!

ROFLMA

• 28. Re: Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel MAJOR BUG
                                                              Level 5

Again with the comprehension deficit that those speed reading courses have left you with.  You are incapable of parsing even short, simple sentences.  You keep on exposing yourself in all your intellectual and spiritual nakedness.  It's almost amusing.

Read again:  I said I'd pay no attention to your suggestions or directives.  Responding or reacting to your posts is no different than throwing rocks at a barking mangy dog in the street or swatting a gnat.

• 29. Re: Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel MAJOR BUG
                                                                conroy Level 5

"[...] Read again:  I said I'd pay no attention to your suggestions or directives [...]

Again, please stop trying to deceive readers. Your exact words were: "You are delusional if you think I have any intention of paying attention to your remarks."

Now, not only have you continued to pay attention to my remarks, you've continued to respond to my remarks.

• 30. Re: Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel MAJOR BUG
                                                                  Level 5

Don't be ridiculous, there are no other "readers" to deceive or otherwise.  It's just your ego trip.

• 31. Re: Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel MAJOR BUG
                                                                    chaddurham Level 1

Noel Carboni wrote:

Sorry to be persistent, but did you try the experiment where you wait for the system to catch up before releasing the Shift key?

-Noel

Hi Noel - yes I did, as I said in response 16. I held Shift until all movement was complete.

• 32. Re: Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel MAJOR BUG
                                                                      conroy Level 5

"[...] there are no other "readers" [...]"

You wish! Too late now, though.

By the way, you paid attention and responded yet again. You're so easy to train... thanks!

• 33. Re: Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel MAJOR BUG
                                                                        Noel Carboni Level 8

chaddurham wrote:

Hi Noel - yes I did, as I said in response 16. I held Shift until all movement was complete.

Oops, I completely missed that response - I'm sorry about that.  There may have been other things in the way. 

-Noel

• 34. Re: Photoshop CS6 Nudging 10 pixel MAJOR BUG
                                                                          conroy Level 5

Noel Carboni wrote:

There may have been other things in the way. 

Yep, the light entertainment.