1 2 Previous Next 53 Replies Latest reply: Oct 21, 2014 10:47 PM by see_e_oh RSS

Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client

Aceracer27 Community Member

Windows 8

Office 2013

Acrobat Pro 11.0.3

Error: "Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request.  Please run MS Outlook and set it as the default mail client etc."

I've confirmed Outlook in default prog', I've tried the various registry hacks and also deleated MSMAPI32.DLL.

This error appeared after updating Office 2013 and Acrobat Pro 11.0.3.

A fix would be appreaciated.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client
          RebeccaLH Adobe Employee

What happens if you set an email account at Acrobat's Preferences Panel > Email Accounts?

• 2. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client
            pwillener ACP/MVPs

Aceracer27 wrote:

deleated MSMAPI32.DLL

Why?

• 3. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client
              Vette06

I have the exact same problem with Reader, both 11.0.3 and 10.1.7. I'm using 64 bit Windows 8 and 64 bit Microsoft Office 2013 (including Outlook). Changing the email preferences in Reader and Windows does not make a difference. The only way to eliminate the error is to roll back to the previous version of Reader.

• 4. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client

Hi Rebecca,

There isn't an email catagory in Preferences for Acrobat Pro.  It is set to Outlook 2013 in Adobe Reader.  Reader has has the same issue.

• 5. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client

Hi Pat, was following a suggestion that allowing Outlook to recreate MSMAPI32.DLL (i.e. delete the file then Outlook recreates it upon restart) may fix the issue.

• 6. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client
                    pwillener ACP/MVPs

Ah, thank you for the explanation!

Regarding Email Accounts in Preferences; there is - here is a screenshot of my Preferences in Acrobat 11.0.3

acrem.png

• 7. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client

Yes that's in Acrobate Reader, I'm referring to Acrobat Pro.  There's no option for setting email accounts in Acro' Pro.

I see that I've posted to the wrong forum, this should be in Acrobat Pro.  Sorry.  Can this be moved to the Acrobat Pro discussion?

• 8. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client

Hi Vette06,

Thanks for the info.  I've rolled back to Reader 10 then 9 but didn't have any luck.  Which versoin do you have installed, and are you running Acrobat Pro also?

• 9. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client

I've found the partial fix at the following link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-outlook/error-when-lau nching-outlook-in-windows-8/82f8588e-e8d9-4230-8559-0429982a378c - see reply from HurdleRemoved regarding a registry edit. 

I say this is a partial fix because this only worked with Acrobat Pro XI, but in Reader I'm still getting the no default mail client error.

• 10. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client
                            pwillener ACP/MVPs

Since the Acrobat side of the problem is resolved, but the Reader version is still not, I will leave this topic here in the Reader forum.

Hopefully you will get some additional answers in the Microsoft forum.

• 11. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client

Hi Pat,

I just got a confusing reply from HurdleRemoved on the MS forum (he's an end user that authored the registry hack).  He claims that Adobe Reader 11 and Acrobat Pro 10 are available in both 32 or 64bit versions.  I can't find any evidence that there are 2 different versions, just that they are supposed to work on 32 or 64bit versions of Windows.  Could you please confirm that Reader and Acrobat are in fact 32bit applications?

Thanks.

• 12. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client
                                pwillener ACP/MVPs

Adobe Reader, Acrobat (Pro & Standard), and all their browser add-ons are strictly 32-bit.

• 13. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client
                                  Andrew Stivelman

Same issue here, using Outlook 2010 as my default email client on Win 7 and Acrobat Pro XI (through Creative Cloud).  Has anyone found a real fix?  I use 32-bit Win7 and Acrobat.

• 14. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client
                                    markcarrara_from_NM

I get the error and I don't use Outlook, don't want to use Outlook and have deleted Outlook from my computer.  Why is Adobe forcing me to use Outlook?  It is ridiculus, I use Google Apps, set that as default and I still get the stupid error.  Between the Creative Cloud and now this, I am ready to drop Adobe from all of our computers.

Mark

• 15. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client
                                      Andrew Stivelman Community Member

I wish someone would fix this, or provide a workaround or something.  It is so annoying.

• 16. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client
                                        pwillener ACP/MVPs

markcarrara_from_NM wrote:

I get the error and I don't use Outlook, don't want to use Outlook and have deleted Outlook from my computer.  Why is Adobe forcing me to use Outlook?

If you have "deleted" Outlook, then it is still your default email client; you have to properly uninstall it.

• 17. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client
                                          rcpowell2001

I am also running into the same problem with more than one computer. 

I am running:

Windows 8 Enterprise x64

Adobe Pro XI (Version 11.0.3)

Adobe Reader XI (Version 11.0.3)

Office 2013 (Office 365 E3) x64 (Version 15.0.4505.1510)

My boss is running:

Windows 7 Enterprise x64

Adobe Pro XI (Version 11.0.3)

Adobe Reader XI (Version 11.0.3)

Office 2013 (Office 365 E3) x64 (Version 15.0.4505.1510)

After following several different suggestions I have gotten to the point where my computer no longer gives me the error that it cannot find the mail client, but when I click on the envelope to send the PDF to Outlook as an attachment it doesn't do anything.  The cursor spins for a second several times but nothing happens.

I checked my event viewer under "Applications and Services Logs" under "Microsoft Office Alerts" and found nothing pertaining to when I have tried futily to send PDFs to Outlook.

Next, I checked the "Windows Logs" under "Application" and found that the 64BitMAPIBroker.exe application is crashing.  Below is the contents of the event:

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Application Error

Date:          6/28/2013 3:09:50 PM

Event ID:      1000

Task Category: (100)

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Description:

Faulting application name: 64BitMAPIBroker.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x518e10d6

Faulting module name: AppvIsvSubsystems64.dll_unloaded, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x515dec46

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000007fbe1f83f08

Faulting process id: 0x15ac

Faulting application start time: 0x01ce74331033c2c1

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader\plug_ins\pi_brokers\64BitMAPIBroker.exe

Faulting module path: AppvIsvSubsystems64.dll

Report Id: 4e21ce49-e026-11e2-bee0-80bafd731780

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

I then kept digging and found this Windows Error Reporting Log:

Version=1

EventType=APPCRASH

EventTime=130169201907493559

ReportType=2

Consent=1

UploadTime=130169201908513567

ReportIdentifier=4e0a4e8c-e026-11e2-bee0-80bafd731780

IntegratorReportIdentifier=4e0a4e8b-e026-11e2-bee0-80bafd731780

NsAppName=64BitMAPIBroker.exe

Response.BucketId=2f054903892071ac99277005e4edb678

Response.BucketTable=4

Response.LegacyBucketId=115586042

Response.type=4

Sig[0].Name=Application Name

Sig[0].Value=64BitMAPIBroker.exe

Sig[1].Name=Application Version

Sig[1].Value=0.0.0.0

Sig[2].Name=Application Timestamp

Sig[2].Value=518e10d6

Sig[3].Name=Fault Module Name

Sig[3].Value=AppvIsvSubsystems64.dll

Sig[4].Name=Fault Module Version

Sig[4].Value=5.151.36.0

Sig[5].Name=Fault Module Timestamp

Sig[5].Value=515dec46

Sig[6].Name=Exception Code

Sig[6].Value=c0000005

Sig[7].Name=Exception Offset

Sig[7].Value=00000000000e0a2c

DynamicSig[1].Name=OS Version

DynamicSig[1].Value=6.2.9200.2.0.0.256.4

DynamicSig[2].Name=Locale ID

DynamicSig[2].Value=1033

DynamicSig[22].Name=Additional Information 1

DynamicSig[22].Value=4e95

DynamicSig[23].Name=Additional Information 2

DynamicSig[23].Value=4e957fd71b033a4fbd893b740afab301

DynamicSig[24].Name=Additional Information 3

DynamicSig[24].Value=3582

DynamicSig[25].Name=Additional Information 4

DynamicSig[25].Value=35826ecc3405ca91a81945c27236f5be

UI[2]=C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader\plug_ins\pi_brokers\64BitMAPIBroker.exe

LoadedModule[0]=C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader\plug_ins\pi_brokers\64BitMAPIBroker.exe

LoadedModule[1]=C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

LoadedModule[2]=C:\Windows\system32\KERNEL32.DLL

LoadedModule[3]=C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll

LoadedModule[4]=C:\Windows\system32\USER32.dll

LoadedModule[5]=C:\Windows\system32\ADVAPI32.dll

LoadedModule[6]=C:\Windows\system32\SHELL32.dll

LoadedModule[7]=C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\MSVCP100.dll

LoadedModule[8]=C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\MSVCR100.dll

LoadedModule[9]=C:\Windows\system32\GDI32.dll

LoadedModule[10]=C:\Windows\system32\msvcrt.dll

LoadedModule[11]=C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\sechost.dll

LoadedModule[12]=C:\Windows\system32\RPCRT4.dll

LoadedModule[13]=C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\combase.dll

LoadedModule[14]=C:\Windows\system32\SHLWAPI.dll

LoadedModule[15]=C:\Windows\system32\IMM32.DLL

LoadedModule[16]=C:\Windows\system32\MSCTF.dll

LoadedModule[17]=C:\Windows\system32\guard64.dll

LoadedModule[18]=C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\fltlib.dll

LoadedModule[19]=C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntmarta.dll

LoadedModule[20]=C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\mapi32.dll

LoadedModule[21]=C:\Windows\system32\ole32.dll

LoadedModule[22]=C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1d f_6.0.9200.16384_none_418c2a697189c07f\Comctl32.dll

LoadedModule[23]=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\VFS\ProgramFilesCommonX64\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033\MSMAPI32.DLL

LoadedModule[24]=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\Office15\JitV.dll

LoadedModule[25]=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\Office15\AppvIsvSubsystems64.dll

LoadedModule[26]=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\Office15\AppVIsvStream64.dll

LoadedModule[27]=C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\USERENV.dll

LoadedModule[28]=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\Office15\c2r64.dll

LoadedModule[29]=C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\profapi.dll

LoadedModule[30]=C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\SHCORE.dll

LoadedModule[31]=C:\Windows\system32\oleaut32.dll

State[0].Key=Transport.DoneStage1

State[0].Value=1

FriendlyEventName=Stopped working

ConsentKey=APPCRASH

AppName=64BitMAPIBroker.exe

AppPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader\plug_ins\pi_brokers\64BitMAPIBroker.exe

NsPartner=windows

NsGroup=windows8

Does any of this information help?

• 18. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client
                                            Nonno_Butch Community Member

Adobe Reader Error.jpeg

After I had installed Office 2013 and upgraded from Reader X to Reader XI, I started to get the above error when opening any PDF file.

To resolve this I uninstalled Reader XI and reinstalled Reader X.

No error since.

• 19. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client
                                              jwilfongAZ

Well, I may have a work around. I don't know which version of Adobe Acrobat that Adobe started having the program default to showing a  panel on the right side of the window but this panel looks like the root of the problem. The panel shows Tools / Sign In / and Comments. Simply click on the words Tools / Sign In / Comments (whichever one you have showing) to make the panel go away. Exit acrobat. Execute acrobat. Error is gone. Renable panel. Error will reappear almost immediately.

panel.PNG

My experience is the message only shows when one of these panels are visible. I tested on Acrobat Reader X and XI with the same result. Hiding the panel gets rid of the error.

--John

• 20. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client
                                                Nonno_Butch Community Member

This also worked for me.  As soon as I hid the Tools panel the error did not appear whenever I opened a PDF file. 

Doesn't this prove that there is a bug in the Adobe Reader code regarding this error message?

• 21. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client
                                                  diabeartes

This is awesome.  So how do we get this information to the developers at Adobe?  It is obviously a critical issue and a true bug in Reader XI.

Thanks for the great troubleshooting.

• 22. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client
                                                    JamesLava

Thank you, this solved part of the error.  I am still unable to send pdf files as attachments from Reader XI.  Any response from Adobe?

• 23. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client
                                                      KDMcMullan

Why is this still not fixed by Adobe? I'm using Adobe Reader 11.0.3 under Windows 7. I use Microsoft Outlook, it IS set as my default mail client and still I get this irritating message that I should set Microsoft Office Outlook as my default mail client EVERY time I open Adobe Reader.

The hack, or workaround, is to DISABLE part of the functionality of the reader?

Why have Adobe not fixed their product yet? I completely understand why some folk use other free PDF readers.

• 24. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client
                                                        Mike M Community Member

I've explained this about a dozen times too many so I guess I'll have to make an F.A.Q. out of it with pictures and step by step instructions.

Just because you have Outlook set as your default mail app DOESN'T set up an email account in Reader using Outlook.

You MUST add an email account in Reader to eliminate this message

In your Reader Preferences under Email Accounts, click Add Account>Other

Parallels DesktopScreenSnapz001.jpg

In the Add Webmail Account window, input your email account details

Parallels DesktopScreenSnapz002.jpg

Under Advanced Settings, configure your incoming and outgoing ports and security settings per your email account

Parallels DesktopScreenSnapz003.jpg

Click OK, and then click Add. In the window, click the email account you just added and click "Make Default"

Parallels DesktopScreenSnapz004.jpg

When it's set as the default mail account you'll see a check mark, and you WON'T see the error message anymore.

Parallels-DesktopScreenSnapz004.jpg

I've done this set up in XP, Win 7 and Win 8 on four different machines and it has eliminated the error message on ALL of them.

• 25. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client
                                                          chicojrman12

Okay all the posts here have work arounds and no fixes. My issue is office 2013 64 bit with reader xi version and get the default mail pop up. Has anyone from adobe come up with a fix for this crap?

I posted in adobes "report a bug" site and will eventually post.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Suggest everyone to post regarding this issue!

• 26. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client
                                                            Mike M Community Member

What I posted is NOT a workaround. It FIXES the message from EVER popping up again. I've done it in XP (Office 2003 - x86), Vista (Office 2007 - x64), Win7 (Office 2010 - x64) and Win8 (Office 2013 - x64) on two (2) different machines.

Doubt it all you want but IT WORKS! Call it a workaround but it WORKS! Have you tried it per the instructions I posted?

• 27. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client
                                                              chicojrman12 Community Member

Lets not debate here! Why would everyone want to do this C F McBlob!  Adobe needs to address this, you step may work but on a serious note users install software and just expect it to work.

• 28. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client
                                                                diabeartes Community Member

I agree.  As someone who works in the software industry, I know that workarounds are just that, workarounds, so I agree that until Adobe resolves this issue by either a) not requiring this configuration or b) guiding a user through the process, it's a bug and needs to be addressed.  Don't forget, the people in this thread are asking for help but imagine how many others are frustrated by the same thing, and probably at many different levels of technical expertise.

I hope Adobe does monitor these forums.  It's a good way (and free for them) to improve their products.

• 29. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client
                                                                  Mike M Community Member

Whatever! Live with it!

• 30. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client
                                                                    HenryLawson

This worked for me (sourced from answers.microsoft.com) ...

1. Create registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook

2. Create String value:

Bitness

3. Set the String value for Bitness to:

x64

It resolved an issue wherein AcrobatX could not determine the existence/presence of my "Click to run" instance of Outlook (Office2013).

Setting the bitness value to match my x64 version of Office2013 resolved the issue - I can now use the "Atatch to email" feature in AcrobatX without errors.

• 31. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client
                                                                      rupunzlkim Community Member

Tried it and it didn't work for me.  Only thing I can guess is that it assumed that my email was IMAP, but mine if POP3 and there doesn't appear to be any way to change Adobe's default.  Otherwise I don't know why it didn't work.  Any ideas?

• 32. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client
                                                                        omgwtfbbqlolorz1

EMAIL.png
                                                                        Dear CF Mcblob,

Since you're getting emotionally angry for people "not" reading your post, I saw a few post above yours stating that there was no "email account" section. This is why this problem has not been resolved. However, I found this. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813745
                                                                        Potentially, our resolution to our problem.

So before going gung-ho, flipping at someone who already tried your method and hasn't resolved their problem - try seeing what they're facing before you think you can resolve this issue when you are not employed by Adobe and/or not their sw-developers/writers.

Please take a good look at the image above - Where is my email account section that you are so adament about?

This is both Adobe Acrobat pro 9 (on one computer) AND Adobe reader XI (on a different computer).

• 33. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client
                                                                          davidyaf

I have recently moved to office 2013 (365 download).

We are running reader xi

My machine is running windows 8 (64 bit) but i am getting this problem on a windows 7 machine.

I am getting this error, on any machine i have upgraded, I clicked the tool menu which stopped the error message.

the problem is the big boss sends mails from reader regularly.

After reading infromation on here on how to create an email address to send using rather than default, i went ahead, got my credentials from office 365 web site, I got these by simply loading the outlook tab, clicking on the cog (right hand side of screen) and selecting options. From this screen theres a link for 'Settings for POP or IMAP access...' which gives me what i need.

I have setup a new email account in adobe reader xi by going to edit -> preferences -> Email Accounts -> Add Account -> Add Other...

I have entered the basic credentials and server names for IMAP and SMTP, then gone into advanced and entered the encryption methods and ports.

Clicked ok and then set as default.

Restarted PC, started up adobe reader xi and still get the error

adobexi-emailError.png

• 34. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client
                                                                            astynax777

The issue has to due with Adobe using a 32-bit stub mapi dll which won't work with a 64-bit Outlook.  If you install Outlook (Office) 32-bit I'm sure you'll find this error goes away.  See here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/371cc543-e78b-4a8b-aa7e-f43360b45e05/ mapilogon-fails-in-64-bit-app-with-no-default-mail-client-message

• 35. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client
                                                                              Andrew Stivelman Community Member

astynax777, this is not the issue in my case.  I'm using Win 7 and OLK 2010 both 32-bit and was getting the error prior to going through the steps someone posted a few posts above, but the issue is that it seems to be a bug that others who don't frequent these forums will also be stumped for finding a fix.

• 36. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client
                                                                                stevengotts

this should be fixxed. Im begining to think Adobe contracts their software to third parties and a fix would cost them money or have we considered microsoft pays to be the default email in Acrobat?

• 37. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client
                                                                                  benmanf

HenryLawson wrote:

This worked for me (sourced from answers.microsoft.com) ...

1. Create registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook

2. Create String value:

Bitness

3. Set the String value for Bitness to:

x64

It resolved an issue wherein AcrobatX could not determine the existence/presence of my "Click to run" instance of Outlook (Office2013).

Setting the bitness value to match my x64 version of Office2013 resolved the issue - I can now use the "Atatch to email" feature in AcrobatX without errors.

This just did the trick!!!

Windows 7 x64, Office 2013 (365), Reader X

• 38. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client
                                                                                    rupunzlkim Community Member

I already have a Bitness entry under that registry listing.  Value is 86 though.  Can I create a second Bitness value?  Would I need to change the existing one to read 64?  If the later, how will that affect already having a String value of 64, i.e. can they coexist?

• 39. Re: Acrobat Pro XI 11.0.3 not recognising email client
                                                                                      pwillener ACP/MVPs

Do you have a 64-bit Office installation?  If so, you need to change the value to 'x64'.

1 2 Previous Next