4 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2013 12:52 PM by conroy

How to save nested psd files?

obiberlin

Say I drag an Icon.psd that already exists into a larger Mockup.psd (it creates a layer that looks like a smart object but is not - by the way what are these called? "nested file layer"?).

Now I double click the new Icon-Layer and edit the Icon.psd. If I save it, it saves a new Icon.psd to a temporary folder (named "temporaryItems"). But: I want it to be saved to the same Icon.psd I dragged in before. Is that possible?

• 1. Re: How to save nested psd files?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

A smart object doesn't work this way. Once added to a doc, the SO becaomes part of the file and loses all relation to the original. You would have to do it just the otehr way around - edit the original, update the smart object.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: How to save nested psd files?
            conroy Level 5

obiberlin wrote:

Say I drag an Icon.psd that already exists into a larger Mockup.psd (it creates a layer that looks like a smart object but is not

Yes it is - it looks like a Smart Object because it is a Smart Object.

by the way what are these called? "nested file layer"?)

It's called a Smart Object.

You are correct that it is a "nested file layer", though.

Now I double click the new Icon-Layer and edit the Icon.psd. If I save it, it saves a new Icon.psd to a temporary folder (named "temporaryItems"). But: I want it to be saved to the same Icon.psd I dragged in before. Is that possible?

When you've edited the SO's embedded file, before closing its temporary document window, do Save to update the SO then do Save As, navigating to the original Icon.psd and overwriting it, then you can close the window. That'll make sure the external file matches the embedded file.

• 3. Re: How to save nested psd files?
              obiberlin Level 1

OK. Thank you very much.

So did I understand you right: there is no way in PS to have an interface mockup with seperate psd files?

Yes it is - it looks like a Smart Object because it is a Smart Object.

I thought it is something else because after you created such a layer PS gives you the option to convert it into a SO, so I thought it must be something else.

• 4. Re: How to save nested psd files?
                conroy Level 5

If you mean linked files instead of embedded files, then no, Photoshop normally doesn't do that but there is the CanLinkIt plug-in which adds linking. I don't know whether the plug-in is reliable.

Regarding embedded files, i.e. regular SOs, there is a Replace Contents command whereby the embedded file of an SO can be replaced with another file and, of course, that replacement may be an edited version of the original source for the SO.

[...] after you created such a layer PS gives you the option to convert it into a SO [...]

Any SO can be further converted to a SO, creating another layer of nesting, which can be useful with Vector SOs since VSOs don't support warping and some other distortions.