6 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2013 6:41 AM by Mike Fernbank

Why does text respect text wrap for images on hidden layers?

Mike Fernbank Level 1

In InDesign CS6 I have some images with text wraps invoked. They are on layers that are turned off, yet text still behaves as if the images are there. Really. This is ridiculous. Can anyone tell me if there is a preference that needs to be turned off as well. I can't believe this is how it is supposed to work, but then again this is Adobe. Thanks for any advice.

MHBrown

OS10.8

IDCS6

• 1. Re: Why does text respect text wrap for images on hidden layers?
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Try checking the layer options for the hidden layer...and then check

your attitude...it stinks!

Bob

• 2. Re: Why does text respect text wrap for images on hidden layers?
            Mike Fernbank Level 1

Well, yes, you are correct, my attitude does stink, but it is specific to Adobe products—and I didn't start out that way. I shouldn't vent my frustrations here and that was wrong. I apologize and I'll try not to let my frustration spill over to this very helpful forum. I'll save it for when I contact Adobe directly. Still, why should having text run around hidden objects be the default? Ninty-nine times out of a hundred wouldn't you NOT want text to run around a hidden image? The fact that Adobe doesn't care to make this simple decision on what to make the default is what gets under my skin. Thanks for the helpful info.

• 3. Re: Why does text respect text wrap for images on hidden layers?

You have what I think is a Quark mentality (based on your terminology).

What if I want to see a text frame clearly without being distracted by

the background. I want the text to wrap appropriately even with the

layer beneath it turned off. So, I disagree with your assessment. That

said, it's a simple check box. Getting worked up over it seems

counterproductive.

Carry on,

Bob

• 4. Re: Why does text respect text wrap for images on hidden layers?
                Mike Fernbank Level 1

Quark, yes I did use that from around 1988 to 1992, but I don't think I have too many legacy habits from that. Regarding my terminology, I think it is pretty standard. New words may have been invented to say the same thing, but it's anyone's guess as to why. I'm not really interested in memorizing a bunch of synonyms. Good ol' Anglo-Saxon English works for me. As far as "getting worked up," I have to agree with you. It's not worth it. It is more like "death from 1000 pin ******" when it comes to Adobe products, however. I've seen a decline in the industrial design of software in the last two decades. There simply is not the same thought put into products. That may be because the release cycles are unrealistic for the programmers, I don't know. That would be my guess.

• 5. Re: Why does text respect text wrap for images on hidden layers?

Well, we're moving way off topic but I believe you'll start to see lots

of small gradual improvements with Creative Cloud since there is no

carved in stone schedule.

Bob

• 6. Re: Why does text respect text wrap for images on hidden layers?
                    Mike Fernbank Level 1

Yes, that will be nice to have improvements on-going. I don't really like the idea of subscription software, but I understand that companies need to smooth out their revenue streams. I'm surprised it's taken this long. The "cloud" part doesn't affect me since I work with files that are too large for anything but storage on a resident hard drive (don't get me started on Apple's pulling the plug on firewire.) I don't work on anything but a desktop or a laptop.