2 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2013 1:19 PM by ECBowen

Why can't Premier play my HD files without stuttering when my system can easily play them.

BigFried

I'm adding AVCHD and MOV files to premiere but they do not play without stuttering. Play for a few seconds and then stutter badly, a frame every few seconds. Totally unuseable. But outside Premiere they play smoothly. Does this not mean that I can't have a problem with my system? I have Macbook Pro 2009, 4Gb RAM, but think disk is 5400. Premiere is fine with my 720 files from previous camera (GF1) - plays smoothly, but not 1080 files from new Sony 5N, neither AVCHD or MOV. Desperately trying to work out what I need to do to get some basic editing done, but cannot see why they will not play in Premiere if they do outside it.

• 1. Re: Why can't Premier play my HD files without stuttering when my system can easily play them.
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Editing and playing are different animals. Your MBP is woefully inadequate for editing such material, but will play fine. If you want to edit such material, you need a much sturdier computer with a lot more HP under the hood.

A snail can play, but you need a cheetah for editing.

• 2. Re: Why can't Premier play my HD files without stuttering when my system can easily play them.
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Standard Media Players as Harm mentions have very streamlined playback buffers and caching since the player just reads media with no other function. Editors are advanced players that have far different playback buffers and caching due to the realtime editing capability. This means they require far more ram and also use more processing for memory management. All of this has to be done in the same segment of time a standard player utilizes those frames. Add on this the API for the interfacing with the application which is far more extensive than a player such as Quicktime along with GPU/driver interfacing and you have far more data to process in a segment of time than just playing back a media file in a player only. BTW Premiere currently realtime encodes the original media to the Adobe I-Frame codec for preview which is a significant amount of this processing.

Increase your ram to 8GB bare minimum and look for faster HDD solutions. That would be the place to start.

Eric

ADK